3Shape/3M scanner Shoot-Out

C

charles007

Reaction score
Which scanner should a small lab buy, and reasons to buy one over the other, giving the fact that many say 3shape has the edge with their software at this time.
More and more dentist will be getting into digital impressions. Do we bank on COS to knock at our doors, or look closer to 3shape or others now, an beat the competition with a scanner now.

ST scanner aprox 32k ........... $2700. yearly update fee
3shape aprox 25 to 26k ..........$2300. '' '' ''

Charles

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
How will 3Shape help you grow your business?

Go tell a Doc you have a 3Shape scanner, and see what that means to them.

For the $2?00 3M charges for the Optional service agreement, you get pretty powerful support for seminars, literature, marketing, etc... and a real brand name that means something. We get over $3000 in coupons alone each year at a minimum to grow our business! More than makes up for the nominal fees.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Scott, this is the kind of info I want to learn more about.....Please continue with more about the ST. Don't hold back!

What can you tell us about the software, designing full contour-cutbacks,and the differences in the two...... Is 3shape really miles a head of 3M, or just gossip.
Being one of the first on the block with the ST would be one of many reasons to buy a scanner, but not at the top of any labs list. All the marketing that 3M has is another reason to buy.

I want to buy a scanner to speed productions-design crowns more efficiently, more consistent, less adjusting for the doctor, have access to wax-pma coping-full contour, zir coping and full contour zir and with cutbacks, etc, with me having more control. Having a inhouse miller is not a must have to achieve this. I want to know which scanner will do a better job for the materials we have now and the near future.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Lava Design 6.0 is going to be released eventually. Can you wait? The ST scanner will also have a better camera in a few months.

3M, you actually get a scanner worth $30k. They hope to make the profit over the following years on materials.

3Shape,, you get a plastic box IMO worth $3000, and the software! That's all they have to sell, and if they don't get mega profit on the one initial sale, then they are out of here! Think about it.

K

karabearva

Reaction score
IMHO, if accuracy is what you want, go with Lava. I am not technical, only dental, but as far as hardware, it delivers better results..guessing it is the data points that it captures. Concerning software, it is always improving to catch up to specific needs and demands.

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
IMHO, if accuracy is what you want, go with Lava. I am not technical, only dental, but as far as hardware, it delivers better results..guessing it is the data points that it captures. Concerning software, it is always improving to catch up to specific needs and demands.

(old profile in the original posting)

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
What are these coupons all about? How much does the software cost for the ST? The 30k obviously isnt including software right? Is this open architecture or Lava only? What about emax, etc...?

C

charles007

Reaction score
What are these coupons all about? How much does the software cost for the ST? The 30k obviously isnt including software right? Is this open architecture or Lava only? What about emax, etc...?
Coupons ? ??
Software comes with any scanner,,,,the yearly updates fee after the first year, are part of the cost of a scanner. (First year updates are free)
ST scanner can be used with some printers.......and sent to other labs like Scott's for Lava and wax/pmma copings.
Scott can tell you more about how they are opening up somewhat. ......
For sure, you can buy a ST scanner and buy a non Lava miller to use inhouse......

Last edited:
P

paulg100

Reaction score
By the end of this year 3shape will support COS scans, Itero and allow import/export of data with sirona, so effectively this will give access to all the current intra oral scanners.

Seems the most flexible option.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Paul, are you sure 3shape can receive COS scans later this year?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Coupons ? ??

"We get over $3000 in coupons alone each year at a minimum to grow our business! More than makes up for the nominal fees." -***

Just quoting

C

charles007

Reaction score
Do the labs that have ST scanners get $3000. in coupons, or only the LAVA milling labs like Scott?
Whats the deal !
If the ST labs get coupons, there's nothing to think about.... That would pay for the yearly updates and some change......

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Actually, I have around $10k in coupons. I just counted. I'm too lazy to use them at the moment. If you need some, just ask me. It really helps to get new accounts, or have a Doc try out some Zirconia.

3M is pretty good at sales. They always help out the labs who work with them. If the track record for the whole 3M program is not proof enough, then go try another route. I give up.:p

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
so its a coupon for the Dr. ? For a free coping for the lab or?

maybe I misunderstood something...

P

primelab

Reaction score
I recently purchased ineos blue and tried to send outsource to my friend who has 3shape scanner and origin milling unit. I was told that I can send the scan to 3shape but my friend wasnt getting what I sent. Does anybody know how to work this out? and if I wanna get origin milling unit, is it going to work with this ineos blue scanner??

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I guess you are in TN, huh?

Just a wild guess.

You are welcome to call Marc or Scott at 1-877-285-Lava and we'll make ya anything you want.

Scott

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Primelab: it should work for any/mill software that supports stl.

I take it you do have the export dongle right?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
We accept .cdt files and will convert to stl for ya.....$3.95 for rapid-proto units to press or cast and/or many types of Zirconia to mill.

Is export dongle expensive? I thought the Blue cam was open .stl right out of the box? But I guess that changed pretty quick huh?