3Shape 2016?

R

Ryan Gottlieb

Reaction score
I have yet to update my 3Shape software past 2014. I have found this version to be perfectly stable and haven't heard many great things about 2015 and 2016.
One of the abutment milling centers that i am considering requires a software update and i was wondering if the kinks were ever worked out of 2016?
Thanks

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
2016.3 us solid 2016.4 has the patch applied to it and nothing different from 2016.3 there was a hick up a month ago and no one could connect to the server. So they made a patch to fix it. That us in the .4 installer. Rock solid no issue.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
What a coincidence. Earlier today...

I'm still rockin 2014. Is it in that software or just the newer stuff?

Sorry but no. Only on 2015 plus. I'm beta testing 2017 pretty sold and 2016.4 is solid. Why not upgrade? But a secondary pc and put 2016.4 in that and play with it.

I just didn't want to find a new design workflow when 2015 or maybe it was 2016 came out. I hated it! I need to do that, time to catch up.

Ice age, continental drift. Lol

thanks @2thm8kr we know how to do it, it just isn't always reliable when it comes to implants and other stuff. The diagnostic portion is about as good as the intraoral scan quality.

@RileyS definitely start looking at 2016 versions - too much has been improved to justify staying on 2.9.9.5

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
i've noticed significant stability improvements in 16.4 - for example - model builder was crashing quite constantly in 16.3. Also, there was a bug where parts of the design tree would just up and disappear after a Manufacturing Output was made.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I have yet to update my 3Shape software past 2014. I have found this version to be perfectly stable and haven't heard many great things about 2015 and 2016.
One of the abutment milling centers that i am considering requires a software update and i was wondering if the kinks were ever worked out of 2016?
Thanks
how much milling do you need done? im on 2014 and no plans to upgrade yet. might be able to mill a few units if you need.

Polarmolar

Polarmolar

Reaction score
You can always upgrade and revert back to 2014 if need be. I have found that after we got a new pc and made it super fast our 3shape runs soooooo much better ! It's like a new scanner and it's a breeze again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R

Ryan Gottlieb

Reaction score
can you share your computer specs?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
You can always upgrade and revert back to 2014 if need be. I have found that after we got a new pc and made it super fast our 3shape runs soooooo much better ! It's like a new scanner and it's a breeze again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I highly do not recommend this at all. Just build or. It a new of fast enough like you said and put 2016 on that and leave 2014 as is. And let 2016 have its own separate database and just point the single to the 2014 pc only. If you decide to go back it is such a pain to restore everything. Best to just leave it alone.

Fogember

Reaction score
Last month our computer bit the dust. We too were on 2014. With new computer we upgraded to 1016. It has been great. Scanning is faster and there are some helpful changes. The down side is they move icons to a different location. Back, Next etc. Some tools work somewhat different, but it doesn't take long to adapt. All in all I'm very happy with the upgrade.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
The bites for me have been more consistent and accurate with 2016 as far as the milled/sintered unit in hand. It seems to have better accuracy of the distance to the
opposing as set in settings. 2015 was a bit hit and miss for me at times being to far in or out of occlusion. I hardly remember anything of 2014.

In ScanIt Restoration 2016, you do get a blob to mark/annotate your prep, but it probably speeds that scan along to get to the scan of area we highlight.

blob.JPG

Last edited:
Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Yeah the primary scan in Scan it Dental is very messy but very fast, you almost have to guess where the annotation goes, LOL but no worries you can always move them after the detailed scan is complete. D900 and lower scanners can still scan on scan it restoration in 2016 or scan it dental you still have the option to select by enabling scanner features in the control panel. But sort lived in 2017 beta it is removed and my stayed removed i the final launch, we will wait and see. I like scan it dental cause you can scan in any order.

Scanning implant models i find it better to scan the tissue scan first while the tissue is still locked down on the model, then i remove it and scan the marker then the opposing and bite.

Scanning abutment cases, I scan the die first with the hole waxed in and sprayed, then i scan the bite then opposing then model. So many different ways to scan you get to choose what works best for you. Plus the on the fly setting while in the scan window is a cool feature as well. Enable multi die scanning if needed or not, texture as well.

The design layout is very nice once you adapt to it from the 2014. All in all 2016.3 and .4 are solid builds for C&B and implants RPD and dentures may have small hick-ups.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
[...]
The design layout is very nice once you adapt to it from the 2014. All in all 2016.3 and .4 are solid builds for C&B and implants RPD and dentures may have small hick-ups.
Sevan, I'm having a terrible time parsing this last sentance. Can you please help this overly literal goofball to understand, please?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Sevan, I'm having a terrible time parsing this last sentance. Can you please help this overly literal goofball to understand, please?
2016 updates for 3shape are decent for crowns and implants. might be issues with removable stuff

Top Bottom