3M True Def

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
anyone making digital models from 3M true def scan files on the 3shape?
I have a client considering the intraoral scanner and would love to hear some feedback on how it has been going. especially if youre model-less and just using the digital models.
if youre having models made, who is making them? print or milled?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
He's better off with Carestream

P

PJR

Reaction score
He has to pay a monthly fee, plus you have to become a margin marking lab or pay someone to do that. The models from intra tech are 25 - 30 dollars. It becomes expensive.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
^^^^and that scanner is not know to be stellar at data capture. Guide him in a different direction. Model less is easy for small cases if you dial it in, no differently than what you are working at now. Push for a system that outputs open stl files. You will find that open is the future.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
^^^^and that scanner is not know to be stellar at data capture. Guide him in a different direction. Model less is easy for small cases if you dial it in, no differently than what you are working at now. Push for a system that outputs open stl files. You will find that open is the future.
True Def I thought was open stl files. maybe I have them mixed up.
I don't know for certain that they will go for it, I just know they are considering it.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
True Def I thought was open stl files. maybe I have them mixed up.
I don't know for certain that they will go for it, I just know they are considering it.
They may be open files, but your not getting direct output from the scanner.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
3M's intra-techs models are the best I've seen in the digital realm (printed or milled)...just my opinion.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
3M's intra-techs models are the best I've seen in the digital realm (printed or milled)...just my opinion.
If you have time could you post a photo?

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
I own a TruDef that I put into a surgical office to do implant scans. Works well for that as long as the operator pays attention to the seating of the scan bodies (not always the case - grrrrrrr).
I also have a C&B account. We do some model-less stuff and she seems happy with it although we are still dialing in occlusal parameters (@.31 reduction now and headed lower...) I don't believe you have to have a margin-marking laboratory if you have ModelBuilder. Just import the .stl fils and mark the margins inside 3Shape. You can go model free or send the models off to be printed. One potential hiccup is that you are getting unfiltered data, so if the scan has holes in it, ModelBuilder sometimes doesn't play well with that scenario. Those are the case on which I back up and send them to 3M to massage the data and output the model. I respectfully disagree with LabGuy - I personally don't like 3M models. They are a little too slick (surface texture) for my taste. I prefer 3D Systems PearlStone. You can get printed models froma variety of sources - Core3D and Argen have been good for me. (I have my own model printer which is currently down or I would offer to print some for you - sore subject)

Tru Def requires powder and you need to tell your guy there is a pretty significant learning curve although the new want is a significant improvement. I also just bought a Trios which is much easier to scan with, but you're talking double the price....

P

PJR

Reaction score
I think the models are to shiny. I lightly sand blast very lightly to take the shine off, then scan them in.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
all excellent info, keep it coming!Deal I am taking notes

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
If you have time could you post a photo?

IMG_6984.JPG

IMG_6982.JPG

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree with LabGuy - I personally don't like 3M models. They are a little too slick (surface texture) for my taste. I prefer 3D Systems PearlStone. You can get printed models froma variety of sources - Core3D and Argen have been good for me. (I have my own model printer which is currently down or I would offer to print some for you - sore subject)

Tru Def requires powder and you need to tell your guy there is a pretty significant learning curve although the new want is a significant improvement. I also just bought a Trios which is much easier to scan with, but you're talking double the price....

No issue here, I've never seen the PearlStone...pic? Are they printing or milling them? Cost?
Maybe its just me, and I'm sure it is, just seems that milling is a tad more accurate than printing. My experience between the two comparing is limited though.