3D Systems (go USA!)

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I'm packing my things and headed out the door in a few minutes to visit 3D Systems headquartes. I've got wood just thinking about it.

Pics to follow (if they let me carry my Nikon past the security. My camera lasted .02 sec at 3M in St. Paul.:rolleyes: They took it as I walked in the metal detector area)

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
Nice! Let us know how it goes for you over there.....Germany? I think? That company and it's 3D software are "up & comers" in the industry. I think their business model will be the one that sets precedence for the future in our dental market. My opinion only......that there will be more labs purchasing scanners and software packages only, keeping full control over the design and scanning processes, then emailing the file for final milling to a milling center in the United States.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
3D Systems is a US company, hence the "Go USA!"

(my wife making a funny face)

Viper SLA printer
ai27.tinypic.com_2ql4s20.jpg
ai27.tinypic.com_2ql4s20.jpg

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
ai30.tinypic.com_24e7tyv.jpg

Wife and oldest son above....new Vflash desktop printer...

ai28.tinypic.com_or7xw2.jpg
ai30.tinypic.com_24e7tyv.jpg ai28.tinypic.com_or7xw2.jpg

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
ai30.tinypic.com_2411emt.jpg

laser sintering of metal!
aop_for.com_dr.evil.laser.jpg

ai30.tinypic.com_i4rfw4.jpg
ai30.tinypic.com_2411emt.jpg aop_for.com_dr.evil.laser.jpg ai30.tinypic.com_i4rfw4.jpg

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Simply amazing technologies!

Sorry I can't post the pics of new stuff they are working on, but....
GODDAMMM!!it's gunna be schweeet!

We are getting trained to properly service a few 3D Systems machines.
I already fix my own CNC mills and printers.

*** will be an authorized 3D Systems sales and service center, as well as a service bureau for rapid prototyping. (digital models for the up and coming oral scanners and impression scanners)

fun fun!

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Nice! Let us know how it goes for you over there.....Germany? I think? That company and it's 3D software are "up & comers" in the industry. I think their business model will be the one that sets precedence for the future in our dental market. My opinion only......that there will be more labs purchasing scanners and software packages only, keeping full control over the design and scanning processes, then emailing the file for final milling to a milling center in the United States.

You are correct on your opinion, as millions and millions of $$ have been injected into our field by investors thinking the same exact thing.

This company makes the machines that make the Invisalign models for Ortho.
Also used by Brontes and 3M and just about every big company on the planet.
BMW, Mercedes, Motorolia, etc....

I'm not too sure what company you had in mind?
3D Systems invented the .STL format of digital 3D shapes that the whole planet now uses. Add to that the 3M ESPE software, scanners, and materials....
Now your cooking with gas! (or Hydrogen, which ever you choose)
AND supporting the good old USA!!!

GO USA!!!

Any other US based companys you guys think are good? It's time to turn the sinking ship around IMO. WITHOUT the help from the govnt.

Last edited:
Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
HOT DAMN, that's some cool stuff! Get me the software for designing and I'd do some for ya.;)

B

BruceQuality

Reaction score
This is what we HAVE! :) I see this is the same printer that is being currently setup in our lab in the partial department!! Once they are up to speed then the C&B metal department will get it's turn!

This is what you want....

ai32.tinypic.com_mbl6pt.jpg
ai32.tinypic.com_mbl6pt.jpg

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Let me know if you need some materials.

I could have saved ya $10k on a printer.

I'd also be willing to teach ya how to fix it yourself.

B

BruceQuality

Reaction score
It's part of a complete system including having full setup/training for a week. The technicians who came in to setup and train left today! Thanks for the offer though!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Enjoy the System (Sensable I'm guessing)

You got the best printer on the market!

I've tried three different ones so far.

What scanner does the Sensable come with?

You get charged a fee per/unit, right? Dongle?

A lab near me bought two sensable workstations and a printer.

Has not made anything in months. Probably going to go bankrupt I'd imagine. Look for them on ebay from repo man!

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
So your using 3M's ESPE software for designing? I'ld like to check that out. Any chance of getting a copy?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Jah, the 3M software can now spit out a fully opened file! STL to go into any rapid-prototyping printer! (Open sesame ah lah peanut butter sandwich)
athesmokingkitchen.com_wp_content_uploads_2008_06_amazing_mumford.jpg

3M is very tight about releasing the software.

You could have a copy, but it won't launch without a physical key inside the computer. Not quite a dongle that is per/unit fee, but similar.

The germans and US software engineers have it quadrouple locked up. Almost hack-proof.

It is now a super great package with full features for C&B.

Implants, full anatomy stuff, split files for two materials, even a triple split file for abutment/substructure/top in any material! You can also do multiple unit full anatomy now from one scan.

Pretty complex and takes quite a while to master all the options. Light years ahead of the original software.

I'm bringing a scanner and big monitor to the South-East show in Nov.
(Charlotte NC)

Come on down and visit Shane from tb.com and all the rest of us hicks.:D
athesmokingkitchen.com_wp_content_uploads_2008_06_amazing_mumford.jpg

Last edited:
aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
Does 3shape have a milling maching like Sirona's to go with the scanner?

R

RichWolff

Reaction score
IMO - I do support USA based companies... but the 3D systems printers have had problems in the past (and from what i hear, the bugs are not ironed out.) Im not sure how their support team is now but it was no good in the past as well.

Objet's Alaris is a great little 3D printer. Although more expensive (I think the price will drop soon enough),It provides a great product.

Just my experience from the 3D field.