3D printer model and dies

O

Oral Ceramics

Reaction score
i printed model and dies at 50 micron and i am having trouble getting them to fit

HygienicBee

HygienicBee

Reaction score
Which printer did you use, which material, and do you have pictures to show us?

O

Oral Ceramics

Reaction score
Formlab form 2 using dental resin the dies lack 3mm from going down we had to grind on the dies to get them to fit i didnt take a pic we are in the process of reprinting the model and dies after we check some settings

N

NYJHL

Reaction score
If its not parameter related, my guess is going to be post processing

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
Hello,

Welcome to the wonderful world of printing. The settings from your CAD software, the angle you print it at, how you support it, how you clean it, and finally what phase the moon is at can all affect your printing. With the formlabs being an SLA printer, where you place the prints on the plate can also affect it. You can cut a viewing window into your model in the software to verify that the die is seating all the way.

Model height can affect your fit: Taller model = tighter die. If you're trying to make them short and stubby to save material or time, you're likely shooting yourself in the foot. Formlabs isn't going to give you speed, it's better to save time of reprints by making the model a little taller and giving yourself another hour or so of print time.

If you're printing flat to plate: You can do this with the models, but I would have the dies supported. Just do ~not~ put any supports on the "seating" area of the die (ie: where the shelf appears for it to sit). If you print the die flat to the plate, you're going to lose those first few layers to the curing and get a mushrooming effect. Make sure in your CAD software you cut holes into the model if flat to plate printing, otherwise the suction from the print pulling off of the print film will warp the print.

If you're printing with supports: You have to angle them so that the overhang inside of the model die seating area is not severe. I would suggest checking the proform guidelines, but it's likely somewhere between 20-50°. Mark the bottom as the to plate side so it's flat, then use the rotation and manually punch in the tilt. Making this consistent will be key.

Clean with new IPA as often as you can, I even used to use an electric toothbrush with soft bristles to lightly run over the whole thing if you don't have a formwash to verify cleanliness. If that doesn't clean out well inside that, you'll never get a consistent fit.

Once you get consistency with the nesting and cleaning, then, and ONLY then, start tweaking your CAD settings. Trying for settings first will have you running in circles chasing why the print with worse cleaning didn't fit, and you'll never get it figured out.

I hope this helps,
- Josh

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
Agreed. I never pour a stone model with a removable die, don't pin it with a base unless there is a partial involved.....so I never print a model with a removable die.

Last edited:
E

erykd1

Reaction score
I don't know what is the benefit of printing a model with a removable die vs. a solid model w/ an extra die... Bird
That's the same way we do it here, much less of a headache

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
We did the same thing for months testing materials, parameters, post processing all to try and make it work. The results were inconsistent to say the least. Switched to adding master model, a model with trimmed tissue and then a separate die and it works like a charm.