Reaction score
Needs:
Model printing
Under 20k
No clunky software
Speed
Consistency
Easy to clean
Open Source Materials (this is debatable, and I would like your opinion)
Decent sized build plate

Wants:
surgical guides
hard bite splints
copings

The List in order:
1. Asiga Max ($14k)
2. Moon Ray S ($4k, plus $400-600 yearly service plan)
3. Envisiontec Vida ($18k)
4. Structo Dentaform ($???)

My ultimate goal is to decrease turn around time in the model room. So, the printer will be used for models, especially in the beginning of this new journey. However, I would like to start fabricating surgical guides and hard bite splints. Copings are not a necessity, though I would be glad to have the option. I would like to stay under 15k, because I have to purchase a scanner, too (getting the Medit). I am torn between buying a cheaper unit just to get started, or spend extra for something I can grow into. I realize that I will not be able to eliminate all model work with a 3D printer. I do want a machine that will accurately and consistently print single to two unit quads and full mouths, if possible. If there is a printer you think belongs on this list, please let me know.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
NextDent by 3dsystems

and because it is 3dsystems, makers of the DP3500 line, and MP4500 line, expect that when it does break it takes 2 weeks and a service tech. also their slightly out-of-your-budget MJP2500 printer at just over 26k usd is a complete waste of money.

expect any machine you buy today, to rebuy in 5 years.

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
Needs:
Model printing
Under 20k
No clunky software
Speed
Consistency
Easy to clean
Open Source Materials (this is debatable, and I would like your opinion)
Decent sized build plate

Wants:
surgical guides
hard bite splints
copings

The List in order:
1. Asiga Max ($14k)
2. Moon Ray S ($4k, plus $400-600 yearly service plan)
3. Envisiontec Vida ($18k)
4. Structo Dentaform ($???)

My ultimate goal is to decrease turn around time in the model room. So, the printer will be used for models, especially in the beginning of this new journey. However, I would like to start fabricating surgical guides and hard bite splints. Copings are not a necessity, though I would be glad to have the option. I would like to stay under 15k, because I have to purchase a scanner, too (getting the Medit). I am torn between buying a cheaper unit just to get started, or spend extra for something I can grow into. I realize that I will not be able to eliminate all model work with a 3D printer. I do want a machine that will accurately and consistently print single to two unit quads and full mouths, if possible. If there is a printer you think belongs on this list, please let me know.
I am using an Asiga MAX and it is outstanding. I'm using it with NextDent resins. Accurate, fast, easy to maintain, totally open materials.

C

CK3D

Reaction score
Structo Dentaform is around $30k, great machine for models.

If you want to do waxups you can rule out the Moonray, XY resolution is far too poor.

EnvisionTec VIDA or Asiga are your best options for a quality machine currently sub $20k, could also look at the EnvisionTec Micro XL ($9K).

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
Structo Dentaform is around $30k, great machine for models.

If you want to do waxups you can rule out the Moonray, XY resolution is far too poor.

EnvisionTec VIDA or Asiga are your best options for a quality machine currently sub $20k, could also look at the EnvisionTec Micro XL ($9K).

3d systems 10K - full printed denture in about an hour great for models etc. Cost per denture approx $40 contact @Glenn Kennedy

G

grantoz

Reaction score
bryce im looking at the asiga max and every time im just about to hand over the money i hear or read a comment and i go and put the cash away. the latest is some of the machines need re calibration a lot can you tell me if this the case please thanks in advance.

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
bryce im looking at the asiga max and every time im just about to hand over the money i hear or read a comment and i go and put the cash away. the latest is some of the machines need re calibration a lot can you tell me if this the case please thanks in advance.
I calibrate my MAX once a week. Takes about 2 minutes.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
for reference, i only needed to redo calibration on DP3500/MP4500 once a year. but when they went down it was always two weeks and a technician to fly out.

PCdental

PCdental

Reaction score
NextDent by 3dsystems

and because it is 3dsystems, makers of the DP3500 line, and MP4500 line, expect that when it does break it takes 2 weeks and a service tech. also their slightly out-of-your-budget MJP2500 printer at just over 26k usd is a complete waste of money.

expect any machine you buy today, to rebuy in 5 years.

How much? Five years I can handle. I don't know about being down for two weeks, that sounds like I may not have any hair by the time the tech comes.

PCdental

PCdental

Reaction score
I calibrate my MAX once a week. Takes about 2 minutes.
I have to calibrate my scanner about once a week...not an issue. What I liked best about the Max is that the inventor plastered his face all over the website and offers lifetime free tech support. It seems as though he really stands behind his product, and I REALLY like that.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
How much? Five years I can handle. I don't know about being down for two weeks, that sounds like I may not have any hair by the time the tech comes.
RC75 linked the same printer above.

and if youve got hair still, you arent doing dental correctly.

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Since NextDent/3DSystems is not a sponsor here (yet) I will refrain from a sales pitch about the NextDent 5100 printer. I would like to clarify that this is a completely different printer than the DP/MP/MJP models CHL mentioned. Those are industrial printers that use jets to deposit materials.

The 5100 is a DLP (LED light projection) printer that flashes light to cure resin in the tank. No jets, no clogs and an extremely simple and robust mechanism.
The 5100 is currently being tested in real labs around the world to make sure it is bullet proof before release this summer. The 5100 will include a hot swap program so you don't have to wait for a technician to come repair the product and you don't have to ship the machine in for repair and wait until it is returned. If there is a problem, a replacement unit will be shipped to you and you use its packaging to return the defective unit.

The 5100 printer will begin shipping this summer. Please PM me if you have any questions.

-Glenn

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
"Burn baby burn, printer inferno..."

Juko

Juko

Reaction score
I didn't say anything about the crazy fast speed, the incredible low price, the wide range of indications, support for all the NextDent resins, integration with...

Now THAT'S a sales pitch. :)

I want one now.

Good work and well done. That sales pitch won me over.

PCdental

PCdental

Reaction score
So, proprietary materials aren't a problem for you guys? I don't want to get stuck in an Apple rut.