3d printed ortho study models

• Thread starter Drews Dental Lab
  • Start date
D

Drews Dental Lab

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a local ortho office that wants to utilize my lab to 3d print their study models. They want them on accurate ortho bases. I currently can't do that in Exocad that I know of. We have been thinking of switching to 3 shape, but the ortho analyzer they office is pricey for what I want to use it for.

Is there any software out there where i can import scans and generate accurate study models on bases.

Linked a photo of what im looking for,

Thank you!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 13
2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
#1 you will have to make the bases taller. We're talking ortho nerds here. Really who spends the time to properly cut all those angles on the base? In my opinion, someone with a lot of extra time on there hands.

#2, depending on point of view, I have a 1/2 arsed solution to your problem, but I haven't found a reliable way to add it as a base to model creator. But, there are other ways to skin the proverbial gato if your not afraid of a few, less charted steps. It's really not that hard.
Are you going to make enough to retire doing ortho models for some practice that has no clue what it takes and just thinks it's a click of a magic wand?? đź‘˝
You'll add 10+ yrs to your retirement plan hopping in the sack with the Danes for ortho models.
Here's another $.02, charge more for the models. You are making their life more convenient. Why does milk cost $8 per gallon at a convenience store?...-...

D

Drews Dental Lab

Reaction score
#1 you will have to make the bases taller. We're talking ortho nerds here. Really who spends the time to properly cut all those angles on the base? In my opinion, someone with a lot of extra time on there hands.

#2, depending on point of view, I have a 1/2 arsed solution to your problem, but I haven't found a reliable way to add it as a base to model creator. But, there are other ways to skin the proverbial gato if your not afraid of a few, less charted steps. It's really not that hard.
Are you going to make enough to retire doing ortho models for some practice that has no clue what it takes and just thinks it's a click of a magic wand?? đź‘˝
You'll add 10+ yrs to your retirement plan hopping in the sack with the Danes for ortho models.
Here's another $.02, charge more for the models. You are making their life more convenient. Why does milk cost $8 per gallon at a convenience store?...-...
I don't believe I asked for financial advice. You make valid points and im sure all kinds of ways to skin all the proverbial gatos out there. In fact you didn't answer the question I had at all so im not quite sure why you respond like you did.

And I only pay $3.50 for a gallon of milk..

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I don't believe I asked for financial advice. You make valid points and im sure all kinds of ways to skin all the proverbial gatos out there. In fact you didn't answer the question I had at all so im not quite sure why you respond like you did.

And I only pay $3.50 for a gallon of milk..
I answered the way I did because you PMed me regarding making those bases work in exocad, no? Maybe someone spilled psychedelics in my coffee?

I haven't purchased milk in a while. but convenient store prices for a gallon where you live is only $3.50?

D

Drews Dental Lab

Reaction score
I answered the way I did because you PMed me regarding making those bases work in exocad, no? Maybe someone spilled psychedelics in my coffee?
Yes i Dmed you because you helped me in the past and you replied you could not help me. I'm not sure I needed to you reiterate that

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Pretty sure I replied I couldn't do it lickety split.
I don't think anyone here will pelt you with eggs for trying to find solutions or resources via PM

D

Drews Dental Lab

Reaction score
Pretty sure I replied I couldn't do it lickety split.
I don't think anyone here will pelt you with eggs for trying to find solutions or resources via PM
And that was perfectly acceptable that you couldn't help me right off. That's why I made this thread.

C

CWilliams

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a local ortho office that wants to utilize my lab to 3d print their study models. They want them on accurate ortho bases. I currently can't do that in Exocad that I know of. We have been thinking of switching to 3 shape, but the ortho analyzer they office is pricey for what I want to use it for.

Is there any software out there where i can import scans and generate accurate study models on bases.

Thank you!
thinking out loud here.. could you not scan in poured bases then export to combine the oral scan and base in mesh mixer, then reimport into exocad and start your model steps with your 'new' model scan, add articulating pins etc..

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you!

You may be able to use a 3rd party software like meshmixer or something similar to do it but getting certified bases with 3Shape makes it a lot easier, if you can use the software for anything else then I would recommend that as it will simplify the workflow and ensure a consistent easy result. If you want more free form version look into appliance designer, you have more options with this software than just ortho analyzer, 3Shape is pricy but with appliance designer its at least a more sandbox software if you don't use anything else in the analyzer suite.

D

Drews Dental Lab

Reaction score
You may be able to use a 3rd party software like meshmixer or something similar to do it but getting certified bases with 3Shape makes it a lot easier, if you can use the software for anything else then I would recommend that as it will simplify the workflow and ensure a consistent easy result. If you want more free form version look into appliance designer, you have more options with this software than just ortho analyzer, 3Shape is pricy but with appliance designer its at least a more sandbox software if you don't use anything else in the analyzer suite.
Great. Thank you very much

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you!
In exocad model maker you can make you base as big as you want. It is that simple. Need more help call your seller support team they will answer in more details.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you!
Have you looked into B4D ?

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Have you looked into B4D ?

I second this, I always heard decent things about this but when I first tried it, it was not the most optimized (Granted I was looking for it for a niche purpose) but seemed promising.