3d Printed Nylon Devices

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Nylon is also commonly referred to as Delrin or Acetal.

It would be a filament based printer, because nylon or polyamide filament is common to almost all filament deposition printers.

Now as these are registered medical devices, anyone producing them needs a 510k premarket approval license certifying substantially similar to fda approved devices. Thats going to narrow the list down on which printers will be involved.

Chalky

Chalky

Reaction score
they also use SLS printers for medical grade nylon products. I have looked into these

Beatrice

Beatrice

Reaction score
Nylon are the common type of materiel use in your average home 3D printer.
The one we use is not filament type it use SLS, what is great is we don't need any support in this type of technology versus the standard 3D printer found in dental lab.
They are very complicated printer to use compare to let's says a Carbon or Formlab type printer,

Yes indeed splints are AMAZING in this material, we have done few for our own staff and after 4 years they still wear them like they are brand new!

Note: Lookout Diamond orthodontic are not FDA registered and are being sued for patent infringement at the moment.

Chalky

Chalky

Reaction score
Nylon are the common type of materiel use in your average home 3D printer.
The one we use is not filament type it use SLS, what is great is we don't need any support in this type of technology versus the standard 3D printer found in dental lab.
They are very complicated printer to use compare to let's says a Carbon or Formlab type printer,

Yes indeed splints are AMAZING in this material, we have done few for our own staff and after 4 years they still wear them like they are brand new!

Note: Lookout Diamond orthodontic are not FDA registered and are being sued for patent infringement at the moment.
Do you guys use the same nylon for the splints as you do your snore appliances>? or are there other options available..?

Beatrice

Beatrice

Reaction score
Do you guys use the same nylon for the splints as you do your snore appliances>? or are there other options available..?

We use the same Nylon, there is only 2 Biocompatible nylon that you can 3D print, the only difference is the second one have a better resistance with some very acid chemical (totally pointless for our use)

Chalky

Chalky

Reaction score
We use the same Nylon, there is only 2 Biocompatible nylon that you can 3D print, the only difference is the second one have a better resistance with some very acid chemical (totally pointless for our use)
is this nylon 13...?

MetalMachine

MetalMachine

Reaction score
Who is manufacturing this material or what is it's marketing name? Would be nice to know how they prevent nylon absorbing all liquid and bacteria from mouth. I'm currently working with SLS printed pa 12 and it is quite hygroscopic. It can be impregnated but that stuff is't medical grade.

Beatrice

Beatrice

Reaction score
Nylon 12 (the one we use) is totally different that the PA12 that you use Metal.
The 3D printing technology is not the same at all. To use the Nylon 12 you need a much more expensive 3D printer (over 150k each machine) and much more to make it run (mixing machine, cleaning solution, polishing solution, etc etc)

Best

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
What do you impregnate the pa 12 with?

MetalMachine

MetalMachine

Reaction score
Beatrice, the printer is industrial scale printer around $200,000. I'm just curious to learn more about this dental nylon 12. Could you tell who is manufacturing it so I can google more specific information?

Affinity, a common impregnation liquid. But they are large parts for industry, not dental.

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
even with an impregnating liquid, the nature of the 3d print seems like it would be porous compared to something milled...

MetalMachine

MetalMachine

Reaction score
Agreed. That is why I was curious how they manage to make dental devices of it.

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Printed or milled, Nylon likes to absorb things around it (hygroscopic). From my understanding Delrin and acetal are not hygroscopic. I wonder if the FDA approved plastic sintering powder is possibly a proprietary material.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Printed or milled, Nylon likes to absorb things around it (hygroscopic). From my understanding Delrin and acetal are not hygroscopic. I wonder if the FDA approved plastic sintering powder is possibly a proprietary material.
Seems like everything that can be is these days. They did put some effort into researching it if it's both new and novel.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Anyone have any research on how much water these absorb? It seems duraflex makes the claim that it is far less hygroscopic, and it floats, etc.. The acetal seems to be a totally different surface texture, way more dense and opaque, from what Ive done. Maybe the translucency is what causes it, maybe its not as dense? Meaning, why not make the acetal more translucent if its the superior material? If there is any, I havent seen it.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any research on how much water these absorb? It seems duraflex makes the claim that it is far less hygroscopic, and it floats, etc.. The acetal seems to be a totally different surface texture, way more dense and opaque, from what Ive done. Maybe the translucency is what causes it, maybe its not as dense? Meaning, why not make the acetal more translucent if its the superior material? If there is any, I havent seen it.
The translucency is likely a product of the lower hygroscopic nature.
Less air pockets = less places for absorption.
If it has less air bubbles in the material, light passes with less interference.

MetalMachine

MetalMachine

Reaction score
Nylons are one type of polyamides.

Duraflex is made of polypropylene copolymer, wich is hydrophobic.

Delrin is polyoxymethylene (acetal),hydrophobic. "POM is characterized by its high strength, hardness and rigidity to −40 °C. POM is intrinsically opaque white, due to its high crystalline composition, but it is available in all colors. POM has a density of 1.410–1.420 g/cm3. "
Sauce: wikipedia

But now we are drifting to the shores of Off Topic..

I did some digging and found these materials from EOS. I assume Panthera is using PA2200 since their appliances are white. Correct me if I'm wrong.

PA2200
Color: white
Certifications: FDA approval acc. to USP Biological test (classification VI/121°C)

PrimePart® PLUS (PA 2221)
Color: natural
Certifications: Biocompatibility acc. to ISO 10993-1 (Evaluation and testing within a risk management process), Food approval FDA 21 CFR, FDA approval acc. to USP Biological test (classification VI/121°C)

Last edited: