3d printed dies undersized, a mystery for the ages.

M

mmbh

Reaction score
Yes and every which way between. We stopped bothering with the removable dies entirely and were doing just a solid model and an individual die for checking margins.
Us too. In fact most of the time we don't even use a die anymore for the digital cases. Just solid for contacts.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
i found asiga max and asiga model resin very reliable and removable dies fit

HonestAbe

HonestAbe

Reaction score
Still working on this, don't have much of an update as I've been working with the old scanner and computer this week. I have a few tests lined up for tomorrow. Going to do some single dies, middle of platform, maximum (25 micron) detail. Interestingly my boss showed me a gold crown that fit the margins on a solid model printed at 100 microns perfectly. I joked with him that now when the doc goes to seat it, the crown will be oversized and the model will be correct.. this stuff is incredibly promising and frustrating at the same time.

I really appreciate everyone's input and help and suggestions. I'm trying to do very specific tests but it's difficult in our lab (small and busy, moving lots of units). Sometimes if I'm not chasing my little tests everyone one gets past me before I can analyze it.

HonestAbe

HonestAbe

Reaction score
So printing dies on the form2 in the middle of the platform, 25 microns, yielded a much more accurate margin but not accurate enough to really trust it. The die still looks slightly smaller than it should be. I will report back when I hear what formlabs has to say about it and if there's anything else we can tweak on it. I just know there's going to be a case where I want to check the margins of a gold crown and can't because I don't have a model I can trust (if they send in a scan instead of an impression)

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Form 2? that might be asking too much from that printer to print dies accurately.

Might be time to invest in something better.

HonestAbe

HonestAbe

Reaction score
Sadly that's what we've got and after a recent upgrade of scanner/mill/sintering furnace I don't think it's in the card for a while.

The only other thing I can think to try is to minimize the amount the sirona model app is ditching the die, and then instead of printing it on a raft I could take it into meshmixer and cut the indexed part off the bottom and print it solid and flat on the surface of the plate.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
There is better accuracy on a 400 dollar lcd printer than form2. Also you can find cheaper resin for those, not to mention the trays.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Dental-Model-Resin.jpg
Remember when these were 10K? All the rage at the trade shows. In every publication.
"Oh so accurate." "Don't be left behind."

S

SrBoromir

Reaction score
DLP printers don't have gimbaled mirrors (okay technically it has ~2 to 8 million microscopic mirrors on hinges),you're thinking of SLA. a DLP printer uses a blue/UV laser shining on a DLP projector chip and lens to expose an image to the build plate. Poor lens quality could lead to inaccuracy I guess? Chromatic aberration isn't a worry since the light is all the same wavelength

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
It makes me wonder if our solid models are undersized as well. Had an issue yesterday with an essix retainer being too tight, got multiple new impressions from doc and poured those to compare, the essix which we originally made on a 3d printed model didn't fit at all, was visibly shorter. This is so difficult to test because there's so many variables.
Calibrate your printer, You print up a few desired size block on different areas of the plate and measure them with digital calipers.