3 unit screwed retained bridge with engaging abutments

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Have you had success with one engaging and one non engaging.? Seems like it would be stronger. I have never felt comfortable with non engaging bridges. (But I still make them.)It seems like only the screws are holding in in place.
Only the screws hold them in place with engaging as well. The anti-rotational aspect is for seating correctly rotated and keeping it correctly rotated. The use of mulitple abutments replaces this feature.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Have you had success with one engaging and one non engaging.? Seems like it would be stronger. I have never felt comfortable with non engaging bridges. (But I still make them.)It seems like only the screws are holding in in place.
To add to what JMN already mentioned: On implants like Straumann, 3i and Noble, which all have long antirational interfaces, you do get lateral stability, when using hexed vs non hexed. On most platforms, the non hex abutments don't offer any lateral stability and it falls back onto the screws. So, while it wont be 'stronger', a hexed abutment, in two unit bridge for example, will offer a better lateral stability. But it also comes down to how divergent the implants are placed. Sometimes you need to cut anything protruding from the abutment in order to seat the bridge.,

M

Miyagi93940

Reaction score
First thing that should of been done was a phone call...I actually have a identical case in my phone pile for Monday morning. Ask the Doc on how they want to proceed. I usually offer them three suggestions. 1. One abutment non-engaging 2. Both abutments enganging but cement retained 3. Both abutments enganging but will make holes for screw retained but will have Doc cement it in clinically. They almost always pick #3, but this avoids a remake when the Doc can't get it in and fubars that pretty hex.
I never come up with the option 3 idea by myself. Thank you, learn something new everyday.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I never come up with the option 3 idea by myself. Thank you, learn something new everyday.
This is how I do all my screw retained individual crowns as well..but after I glaze and verify contacts then I will cement crown onto Titanium abutment in the lab. I haven't used a ti-base in 5 years...always custom milled titanium abutments.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
For Lab-side cementation: Multilink Hybrid Abutment Cement in combination with Monobond, form Ivoclar. The HOO blocks out pretty much any grey/gold/brown colored abutment.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
This is what the Drs call 'screw-mented' .. My Drs want them separate to verify contacts, I only cement ti bases in house. I havent asked if they cement them extraorally, but I dont think so.

M

Miyagi93940

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the info. I will try it for the next case.

Top Bottom