3 shape's CAD program with Meidit scanner?

Jaemin Lee

Jaemin Lee

Reaction score
Hello.

I am a dentist in South Korea and looking for the best match of CAD/CAM machines, for my lab in my office.

From last year I've been using Tios 2 and a wet milling machine from local company for making inlays or laminates.
Because I didn't want to hire a dental technician, I sent my orders to the 3 shape based labs and they've designed the inlays there.

However, it didn't take too long to find out that this type of work flow is not efficient at all.
The inlay cases that can be dealt with digital impression, and regarding the digital impression, the patients did complain a lot because it takes too long to get an impression with Trios 2, compared with the conventional rubber method.
Even though my staffs become quite good at taking impression with Trios2, after many trials between themselves, still the cases are too rare.

So, now I made up my mind to put my own lab in my clinic.
And I've been looking for the best match of things around CAD/CAM.

I hope to place Exocad based system, because 3 shape's annual fee is too high and their lab scanners are worse than Medit scanners or DOF scanners.
And as you know, Medit and DOF are Korean company, so I can get support easily from there.

However the only thing that makes me hesitate to pick Exocad is my Trios 2.

Though, I didn't get many benefits from Trios 2 and 3 Shape around prothesis, still I am satisfied with their guide surgery system, Implant Studio.

Here's what I have in mind.
How about matching Medit lab scanners with 3 shape's CAD program?

Is there anyone who's been using scanners not from 3 Shape with the 3 shape's CAD program?
And if there is anybody who can advise me, that would be really appreciated to me.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
You can for sure do that. Get a license of dental system and just import your .stl models into 3shape.. However exocad is more than adequate to do almost anything 3shape can do.. Except for the implant studio features.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
So if you think pouring a model from your pvs impressions ,scanning the model, milling or pressing the restoration,fitting,staining and glazing is more efficient then good luck to you.

At least the money you save on the license fee will help cover the cost of the equipment,materials,and salary.

After you get everything dialed in, check out the "working nights" thread.

Jaemin Lee

Jaemin Lee

Reaction score
You can for sure do that. Get a license of dental system and just import your .stl models into 3shape.. However exocad is more than adequate to do almost anything 3shape can do.. Except for the implant studio features.
Thank you so much for your reply.

This afternoon, I called the Medit dealer to ask the same question that I posted here and he said that it is all okay to use their scan data with 3shape's CAD program.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
So I could stop using and paying my yearly 3shape fee, buy an exocad scanner and import those scans to my 3shape design software? I can keep using the sftwr without yearly fee?

Jaemin Lee

Jaemin Lee

Reaction score
So I could stop using and paying my yearly 3shape fee, buy an exocad scanner and import those scans to my 3shape design software? I can keep using the sftwr without yearly fee?
I think the year fee is on Dental System, the CAD program not on the scanner.
So even if you change your scanner but still you should pay the annual fee to 3shape.

The Medit dealer that I contacted said he'll doublecheck when he goes to work tomorrow.
It is Sunday here now.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
If you are taking longer to scan with the Trios than taking an impression then maybe it's not the scanner?

Your story doesn't add up. 80-100 fcz's per month , but you bought the Trios and a milling machine for onlays and veneers?

Have'nt met a patient yet that preferred the pvs over an IOS.

Jaemin Lee

Jaemin Lee

Reaction score
Today I 've received an official comment from Medit tech team.
In brief, Medit scanners can't be matched with 3 shape CAD program.
Tech team said, the way Medit's scan program reads the cast is completely different from the 3 shape's.
They said that Medit scanners read the cast by dots, however 3 shape's read the casts by the coordinates.
It's tough to decide one..

Jaemin Lee

Jaemin Lee

Reaction score
I am really sorry for wrong information, Medit said that they can't be matched with 3 shape's CAD program today.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Riley, Your dental designer software wont work without the license, BUT you can just buy a seat of exocad and the glorygrace driver and just scan in your scanner, design in exo.

The OPs question was about using an existing medit scanner to scan and export and buying 3shape software for design...

I

Implant master

Reaction score
Riley, Your dental designer software wont work without the license, BUT you can just buy a seat of exocad and the glorygrace driver and just scan in your scanner, design in exo.

The OPs question was about using an existing medit scanner to scan and export and buying 3shape software for design...

There was a call again from Medit.
And they said it is okay to use the Medit scanner's stl files for 3Shape CAD program except for the fixture level impressioned implant cases.
They said regarding natural abutment teeth and implant abutment, Medit scanner can be matched with 3shape CAD program.

Quite hard to determine one.. Exocad or 3shape..

Jaemin Lee

Jaemin Lee

Reaction score

Affinity,
I've talked with one of the tech team in Medit again and he told me that their scanners can go with 3 shape CAD program execept for the cases which uses implant scan body.
Regarding natural teeth and implant abutments, their stl files are compatible with 3 shape CAD program they said.
The headquater of Medit is located near to my office, so I could contact their team quite often.
Anyway, sorry for disturbing you.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score

So, to be clear, my scanner will still work without paying yearly licensing fee? What software controls the 3shape scanner so I can scan there and then design in exo?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
The scanner will work.. and yes you use exoscan to run it. 3shape has better software but i like that exo doesnt have yearly fees..

adam_medit

adam_medit

Reaction score
Hello, this is Adam from Medit. I just wanted to clear some things up.

First, Medit scan data is largely compatible with 3Shape software; however some features could be limited (such as implant cases).

When setting up your scan if you select "Yes" on "Use Y axis on scan data orientation" your scan data can be used with 3Shape.

image003.jpg

We have several customers who use this feature including some large university labs.

Jaemin Lee

Jaemin Lee

Reaction score
Hello, this is Adam from Medit. I just wanted to clear some things up.

First, Medit scan data is largely compatible with 3Shape software; however some features could be limited (such as implant cases).

When setting up your scan if you select "Yes" on "Use Y axis on scan data orientation" your scan data can be used with 3Shape.

View attachment 19478

We have several customers who use this feature including some large university labs.

Thank you!
I've already been told exactly same as you, by Medit, here in Korea.
I am still thinking about going Exocad but Trios 2 ,that I've already bought, makes me hesitate..

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Your trios will output .stl files.. Just set up your trios inbox in exo. 3shape is a bit more user-friendly for the beginner.