3 Shape Scanner

Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
Ok thanks for your help.

A 2ghz dual core is ancient now so if it runs well on that then its safe to say that the coding on the inlab software is just dire.

its nothing to do with the data point detail as weve already seen how much more masively detailed the other systems are.

Even a watercooled highly overclocked quad cant handle the type of case as ive described above without chugging!

Ill start saving for a 3shape then :)

BTW came up to your lab just after you got your very first Lava unit,good few years back now, me dad used to be chairman of TEREC uk ;)

I think available memory and the graphics card is the key rather than the processor, but as you say not supercomputer spec.

Things have moved on since the first Lava mill, we now have dedicated building with 5 mills, 5 furnaces and about 11 scanner of various types, the bulk of them being 3Shape and ST.

The entry cost for a 3Shape scanner is not as high as you might think.

Colin

D

DoWn

Reaction score
Hi!

I´ve been reading all posts here...
I´m from Brasil:rolleyes: and all Cad/cam system are quite new, we´ve bought the 3shape scanner and it works great! (just the scanner here is about U$$50k; i realy like the gov taxes!!!) The abutment designer is absolutely great, but i have a problem with the implant library... where can i get the straumann files?

Sorry for baaaad english:D

Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
The full list you should have seems to be -
Wital
3i
Astra
Branemark
Frialit
Replace
Straumann
Zimmer
3iCertain
Bonelevel
Camlog
NobelActive

I would have PM'd you the list but your settings do not allow it

Colin

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Meu irmão casou com uma dentista de São Palo. Eles vivem na Carolina do Norte, aqui nos Estados agora, mas os E.U. não reconhece o seu grau em Odontologia. Gostaria de visitar Brasil um dia. Parece muito divertido e relaxante local. Ouvi dizer que é uma fábrica de Lava em algum lugar lá embaixo? Você sabe o laboratório que é isso?

Scott

D

DoWn

Reaction score
Sorry, i have a new computer now!!!

We have about 3 Lava milling center here in Brasil, but i think just 2 have the 5 axis milling center.

It´s a really beautifull place, God made a really good work here, and the noticed places are São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, they are big cities, but isn´t all we have ;)

Obrigado por escrever em portugues!!! hahaha

About your brother, here in Brazil we have some great odonto teachers, but our country is very lazy in agreements, our burocracy is a monster, and our contacts in other countries isn´t easy;

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
FYI
We have a free trial of our Studio software with our dcm converter Add-On... see what you think..the converter has not been tested so your feedback would be great. Geomagic Labs: 3D Software for Creating 3D Models from 3D Scanner Data
or you could try this free converter version InVesalius - Trac

I stand corrected....apparently 3Shape has named their files ".dcm", but they are not in anyway related to the true medical .dcm DICOM files. I don't know why 3 Shape named theirs the same, although I can imagine. Sorry for getting everyone excited. You could always try our software. If their output is in points it will work. If it is in polygons, it won't, and it is probably in polygons. (addendum-I just found out it is in triangles so it will not work with ours but Rhino has a Plug-In if you wanna shell out the bucks)

Sorry guys,
k

Last edited:
karabear

karabear

Reaction score
We do have a dcm to stl converter afterall. Stay tuned

J

Julen

Reaction score
STL files in 3 shape

Hi Guys,

I have a problem with the 3 shape. I usually desing Cr-Co bridges directly to implants after scan in 3 shape and everything is ok because 3 shape nows there the implant are located.

the problem starts when you scan in other scanner (3M lava.....) and you take the STL files to design the bridge in 3 shape. who can i do it?? who can 3 shape recognize where the implants are located?

Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
3Shape identifies the implant position from a scan indicator which is fitted to the model, as Lava does not support implant positioning or design, I cannot see that it would be possible to take a Lava scan and design for implants.

It's pushing open architecture to want all the functions of 1 system on another.

If you have the 3Shape why not just use it? The only thing I can see being possible with Lava is cement retained onto implant abutments, whether custom or stock, where as far as lava is concerned your just onto preps, the scanner does not need to know it's an abutment not a natural tooth.

J

Julen

Reaction score
I say lava but it in other case, with other scan with implants? could be posible?? or must be scanned necessarily in 3 shape??

Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
Pretty sure it would have to be designed on the system it is scanned on - that would be true of most systems - why would you have the design software and not the scanner to match?
Open architecture is about the output files being manufactured on any machine not scan with one scanner and import the scan to a 3rd party system.
I guess potentially a software package could run any scanner it wanted, but I have yet to see it, all the suppliers sell a scanner with their software, and probably see no need to support other machines.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Actually 3M does have implant locators in their software and other new implant software.Are you not running 5.4 software?

Scott

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Colin, you can scan with the 3M scanner and pass it to the 3Shape right now.
Or, Dental Wings.

(Just export an ULDC file, then import into other design software)

Remember when 3M allowed us all to get Dental Wings for Free? I used my 3M scanner, then sent the scan files to Dental Wings.

Or, you could get the Rhino add-on and convert any 3M file (even the raw scans) to stl.
Then, import the stl scan file into anything.

Last edited:
G

gotosleep33

Reaction score
Could someone please give me answers to these very newbie questions?

*Is the 3shape the only scann that scanns both models and impressions?
*How much time is needed for the 3 shape scann to scan one full arch model and one full arch impression?
*which software will allow me to add base to the full arch scan ? is the Orthoanalyser necessary just for that ?

thanks in advance for you help!

Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
Is the 3shape the only scann that scans both models and impressions?

No there are others that have the ability - although the only other one I have seen was not very good at it

*How much time is needed for the 3 shape scann to scan one full arch model and one full arch impression?

Impression scanning increases the scan time at least 50%

*which software will allow me to add base to the full arch scan ? is the Orthoanalyser necessary just for that ?
What do mean by base? you can scan the palate if you want to and indeed for the chrome partials you need to scan the palate.

Colin

G

gotosleep33

Reaction score
What do mean by base? you can scan the palate if you want to and indeed for the chrome partials you need to scan the palate.

Colin

Thanks Colin,

by base, i wanted to say socle. (English is not my first language )
Moreover, how the software allow us to put the models in occlusion? I scan first the maxillary arch in a file, then the mandibulary arch in another file? I have no idea how the software can do that. If someone could lighten me?

Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom