3 shape ortho

Betalab

Betalab

Reaction score
Looking for ortho lab buddies that run 3 shape or equivalent for ortho cad and cam applications.The fixed appliance guys have a range of tools and options from implants and bars and full contour crowns etc. in 3shape. i think all we can make given the ortho side is study models and measurements. Even the model manufacturing is expensive! The only options I can see for cad ortho is the appliance designer which is an extra cost again. I think the appliance designer should be placed in the dental system suite so we could at least make a splint or aligner of sorts.
I would be really interested in how you market your cad ortho into the market. What interesting things you have discovered and what you can design to manufacture. Quite happy to share my info.

- Patrick

Betalab

Betalab

Reaction score
I will down grade my question/s to .........Any 3shape ortho technicians out there?

-Patrick

Betalab

Betalab

Reaction score
Alright mr. Affinity. Small ortho analyser question. After a virtual setup have you used the sub group option and chosen how many sub groups, then saved all models from this virtual setup? If yes ...what was the file extension they saved as?

-Patrick

I'm counting that emoticon wave as as a3shape ortho buddy?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
yep. Saved as .stl files.

Inman Labs

Inman Labs

Reaction score
We have a 3 Shape system and we do about 50 sets of Study Models a week. We also use it to (what we call) create 3D Reports for Inman Aligners. We correct the anterior teeth and take screen shots to give our accounts:
Total Tooth Movements
Total IPR Guide
Before and Goal After shots

We do not use it for incremental Clear Trays as we don't want issues with Invisalign (Align)

We had the beta version of Appliance Designer but I never got good with it. We had some ideas however and took them to 3Shape and ESM and they were able to create a tray using the digital model that we printed to make night-guards, we also figured out how to print a digital impression from a digital inter oral scan. Why you ask? So that when we receive a Itero / Treos scan for a fixed appliance we print an impression and not the model, if you print the model you need to duplicate it and pour it in stone so you can fit bands and solder. This is hard to do on a printed model.

We also use NetFabb to handle Itero / Treos scans. With NetFabb you can close (repair) the scan, trimm the scan to the size you wish to print and add names. We also use it to create the digital impressions and to add a handle to the digital impression tray. We feel this is a huge breakthrough for the use of digital printing, once we proved it worked we shared the process with everyone we knew.

My email is [email protected] if you want to reach out to me, I would be happy to show you what we are doing.

Don

orthodent

orthodent

Reaction score
I will second with what Don is doing with digital and Ortho. Keep in mind digital is just starting to find its way into Ortho as its been in the dental production process for many years, giving them time to be creative and find ways to leverage the technology. Inman labs is ahead of the curve and utilizing the tech for production indirectly which will hopefully and eventually lead to direct production.

The breakthrough will be in material that can be printed. Once materials are biocompatible and the patient can tolerate it (the taste will lead to a compliance nightmare if its weird) we can start to get really creative in Ortho.

Betalab

Betalab

Reaction score
Hey Don, I thank you for the info and invite. We have a few accounts on board for the digitalis study models also. I'd love them all to be buy hey. The net fab software sounds good for manipulating files and I presume it's a little like magic materialise. I may need to know you more to get the shares.
I feel the ortho appliance designer for splints and stents and guides is well on the way. It just seems a little further behind than fixed prosthetics
Regards

-patrick

2bearnest

Reaction score
I know there is a different lab scanner for 3Shape Ortho, but is the Trios the same with just an add on module?

Also any update on when the next ortho scanner launches?

Last edited:
tomas

tomas

Sponsors
Reaction score
I received 2 jobs requesting to prep ortho study models, I am sure if my client is using 3shape or Trios Scanner, but i can't the the models in white. Instead I get them in yellow. Is there anybody tell me how to get the models in black and white?

Attachments

• IMG_0121 1.JPG
    IMG_0121 1.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0121.JPG
    IMG_0121.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0123.JPG
    IMG_0123.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0124.JPG
    IMG_0124.JPG