3 Shape (additonal scan)

T

Techaim

Reaction score
Hello fellow technician,
I need help understanding how to use the additional scan tool in 3 shape. It seem to me from what i see from other designer is that you can save pretty much what you have in your screen as an additional scan file (correct me if I'm wrong). For instance you upper and lower combine together into a single STl or DCM to be use a a master bite or a Model and crown to be printed or use as a diagnostic model etc. I tried using the tool today and im not entirely sure how to save them together. It only allow me to save one thing at at time, either an upper or a lower; not both ( and i clicked everywhere :(. I have a project where teeth need to be extracted in the next visit and figure this will be very helpful in having reference to what the patient vertical is and not be entirely dependent of what the dentist give me for my bite registration once those teeth come out ,which tend to be not so accurate from my experience. If someone can take their time and explain i would truly appreciated. thank you

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I highly recommend you join the Facebook group "3shape study group." You will find the answer to this question and more there.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
there is a language barrier here - the Additional Scan button is present in the order form, and is used to import up to 8 objects to be used as tools to help you design your case.

this button does not allow anything but import.

if you mean the Append to Model function, where you are able to save your design and merge it with the model, this is found in the Copy function in Dental Manager. select your order and right click on it, choose Copy, and you have options here to Copy and Append.

if all else fails you can always meshmix the objects together.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Hello fellow technician,
I need help understanding how to use the additional scan tool in 3 shape. It seem to me from what i see from other designer is that you can save pretty much what you have in your screen as an additional scan file (correct me if I'm wrong). For instance you upper and lower combine together into a single STl or DCM to be use a a master bite or a Model and crown to be printed or use as a diagnostic model etc. I tried using the tool today and im not entirely sure how to save them together. It only allow me to save one thing at at time, either an upper or a lower; not both ( and i clicked everywhere :(. I have a project where teeth need to be extracted in the next visit and figure this will be very helpful in having reference to what the patient vertical is and not be entirely dependent of what the dentist give me for my bite registration once those teeth come out ,which tend to be not so accurate from my experience. If someone can take their time and explain i would truly appreciated. thank you

Additional Scan or AUX scan feature allows you to import up to 10 additional DCM/STL files on the fly while designing or import them via the RX while setting up the order.

Also while in design you can safe certain portions of the stuff on the screen, like Abutments with no interface data, upper scan, lower scan, pre op etc. The multiple file like upper and lower as one is a new feature in 2020 by pressing and holding ctrl and clicking on multiple file will combine them on out put. This is only effective in 2020 not 2019 and below.

For your case, I would scan the pre op and opposing in an order with a temp on prepared on any one tooth doesn't matter. Then if you want to merge them together then simply do a visualization output on the order and grab the stl files which will be in bite relation. then merge them in meshmixer to create a master bit as i like to call it. Now you have the upper and the lower in the correct vertical with data 360 degrees. Now you can use this file as a bite scan on the next case, this will only work if the impressions are clean with good palatal surface and same for the lower no nasty pulls.

Like Brett said joining the 3Shape study Group on FaceBook, much faster and better response then on here. I am one of the mods of the group.

Hope you follow what i just wrote.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
there is a language barrier here - the Additional Scan button is present in the order form, and is used to import up to 8 objects to be used as tools to help you design your case.

this button does not allow anything but import.

if you mean the Append to Model function, where you are able to save your design and merge it with the model, this is found in the Copy function in Dental Manager. select your order and right click on it, choose Copy, and you have options here to Copy and Append.

if all else fails you can always meshmix the objects together.

Wrong my friend up to 10 scans can be imported, you can align and also save scans on the fly while in design. With 2020 you can select multiple files and save them all as one export only as DCM and HPS formats. Otherwise save each file seperately then convert to stl and merge in 3rd party. Also a phantom merge order can be created to merge files with in 3shape as well in you don't have 2020. Simply the copy and append design feature in a already designed pre designed order.
aux  2020.jpg

Last edited:
T

Techaim

Reaction score
aahha. Good to know Sevan. I was going nut here trying to figure out how designer out there was saving them into one single file using only 3 shape. I'm still running in the 2019 version and i was like why is this so complicated that i felt so disappointing. So i basically just need to upgrade to the latest version to have this idea on having the upper and lower combine into as single file with the additional scan icon on the design.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
8, 10, whatever, you need like 2 at most.