Natural looking PFM with limited space

E

EvaM

Reaction score
Hello there! I’m not very experienced in layering PFMs as they were on their way out when I had the chance to start working in the ceramic department. I keep getting the feedback from my boss and the dentists that my crowns look too opacious when there isn’t a lot of room. There have got to be some tricks to the trade that yield acceptable results, right? What are your best tricks to make a crown look more lively and give the illusion of depth when there isn’t any. Thanks in advance.
Eva

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Hello there! I’m not very experienced in layering PFMs as they were on their way out when I had the chance to start working in the ceramic department. I keep getting the feedback from my boss and the dentists that my crowns look too opacious when there isn’t a lot of room. There have got to be some tricks to the trade that yield acceptable results, right? What are your best tricks to make a crown look more lively and give the illusion of depth when there isn’t any. Thanks in advance.
Eva
lateral segmentation. Place a small amount of more opacious porcelain next to a more translucent porcelain and that will break up the light coming into the crown and give an illusion of depth.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
..are you talking occlusal, buccal?

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
Can I ask why a pfm in todays world of zirconia. A layered pfz will look way more natural in the thin areas.

E

EvaM

Reaction score
Can I ask why a pfm in todays world of zirconia. A layered pfz will look way more natural in the thin areas.
I have no clue! I hate PFMs. So much work for a way less aesthetic result. We have one doctor who insists on it no matter what. We have offered to do pfz, or Emax, she doesn’t want it. Even if the room is so little that a full gold crown would be thin, she still wants a pfm.

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
I have no clue! I hate PFMs. So much work for a way less aesthetic result. We have one doctor who insists on it no matter what. We have offered to do pfz, or Emax, she doesn’t want it. Even if the room is so little that a full gold crown would be thin, she still wants a pfm.
Some dentists refuse to move into the 21st century. Assuming they she still wants non precious and wants them for $65. 🤣

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
It’s a growing industry…
EC23509A-F42C-46EF-BA82-F25FE6296B59.jpeg
Even last year I rarely had a pfm. Now I have days I only do pfm…

PS. I will have to increase my fees…

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
It’s a growing industry…
View attachment 41112
Even last year I rarely had a pfm. Now I have days I only do pfm…

PS. I will have to increase my fees…

FYI, I just just raised my pfm fee 40$. Wish I had done it a year ago. Never gave it much thought what a drain these cases have been. Should have raised it 100$ 😉. Just finished a 4unit on a quad with bite on the
canines Banghead. WTH .

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I just got a 3 unit posterior pfm bridge in last week, along with the 2 single posterior pfms on the shelf.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Probably 85% of the cases I do are pfm’s, the rest split between full gold, Emax and zirconia.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Just curious, who on here charges more for a FGC than they do for a monolithic Zirconia? not including alloy.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Just curious, who on here charges more for a FGC than they do for a monolithic Zirconia? not including alloy.
About the same but I rarely do any monolithic zirconia.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Just $10 more for a FGC plus alloy, than a FCZ posterior.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I have my full gold lower, but not by much.

On a side note, when I upend my fees, a few months ago, I spared the mono zirconia posteriors from an increase... I raised pretty much everything else, though. And I am seriously thinking in doing it again, in the not too distant future.

Funny enough, non of my clients mentioned anything, when I applied the new fee schedule. I didn't mention it either, just raised my fees...

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score

FCZ are more than FCG before gold. Opposite for PFM. (High noble only)

care to share Doug?

Top Bottom