Viral Chinese Crowns

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Anyone selling crowns from China worried about pathogens coming with their shipments?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51171035
Sounds like a very good thing to use to remind staff of the importance of Universal Precautions.

Scary part is virii are transmissible without direct human contact. They willl 'live' quite happily in a crown and bridge box as you suggest until someone touches their face adjusting their glasses or takes off their mask with a finger at their nose.

I think I'll cancel that aliexpress order.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
its only a matter of time before some poor bugger gets sick from something like this .if it hasn't happened already.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
its only a matter of time before some poor bugger gets sick from something like this .if it hasn't happened already.

It does happen already. Jusy not with easily tracable origins.

I've found that:
Multiple offices do not do anything to impressions before bagging them (including look at them some days).

Multiple office do nothing with recieved crowns, bridges, or removables aside from put them on the tray.

Which is why I go through a gallon of Cavicide with frightening regularity.

Has anyone ever wondered about the cleanliness and origin of the foam in those ubiquitous crown and bridge boxes? Denture stuff can be nastier on the way in the lab, but the delivery has lower chance of (cough) hidden foreign matter.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Just FYI.
Offices should disinfect any parts that they receive as long as they have either come from clinic,
or going into patient after we receive.
My protocol is to show the patient the parts so they understand what an abutment is and the crown is,
then it goes straight into Cavicide while we are getting ready.
Any implant impressions are bleached by soaking screws in bleach, and a micro-brush dipped into bleach
to clean the impression copings. The only issue I had so far would be those Aluminum ones for traditional
Straumann implant level open tray impressions (example the WN ones). All others I have used so far
are Titanium or Ti Alloy that have no reaction to bleach. After that, we rinse the bleach out thoroughly
before pouring up impressions.
Foam in boxes are Cavicide sprayed if we need to give to patients for some reason (like old denture tooth they
brought in, unwanted broken parts, etc.).
Any implant parts or crowns that needs to go back to lab should be autoclaved - temp won't affect ceramics.
Moisture would be a issue if old crowns that need to add contacts, so do check what you need case by case.
Dentures etc also go into Cavicide before rinse when pt arrives.
Do tell staff to handle Cavicide carefully - eye protection, skin protection, avoid aerosol.
Hope that helps,
LCM

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
What if cavicide doesnt kill this new virus?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Well it looks like someone not too far from me has it in WA .. quarantined.. :bag:

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Well it looks like someone not too far from me has it in WA .. quarantined.. :bag:
Well your radar was justified. Panic via Drudge Report.
Iguanas falling from the trees.
Looks like the snakes are the source. I personally prefer canned snake instead of the Farmers market.
They are now quarantining travelers in Montreal., not surprised, there are a lot of viruses you can get there, especially at Club de SuperSex .
we're good here though. no snakes until spring, when the trilliums are up.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
...oh almost forgot.
100 seconds to midnight on the'ol doomsday clock.
source.gif

A

Arizona 3D Dental Lab

Reaction score
I like getting quality crowns, so I mill my own (with US or German pucks) or outsource to Argen or Talladium. I guess there's always a risk of catching something from California...

Chalky

Chalky

Reaction score
even more reason to get things made locally!

model guy

model guy

Donator
Reaction score
I’d be more worried about the risk to staff unpacking the cases than the risk of the crown itself infecting a patient.

Top Bottom