Which compressor to get...

spacemanspiff

spacemanspiff

Reaction score
I'm part of 15 person lab. Currently we're running a California Airtools compressor that is having major dryness/water issues.

Anyone have a recommendation for quality compressor? Air dryers?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score

Start at the top of the list and see if it will supply what you need.
We have a silver 3/300 running an entire dental practice with 3 hygiene and 4 ops plus a mill. We have a separate refrigerated dryer.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Grainger sells a refrigerated dryer unit that will probably help you out

C

[email protected]

Reaction score
Atlas Copco Rotary screw with dryer and set of filters before going out into the lab. Trend in food processing and pet food industry is to go "oil less" but many are switching back due to reliability and costs. With the new filter Atlas offers paired with the correct machine you can achieve high quality air. This new filter lasts very long and will give you same results as an oil less compressor with less operating costs and maintenance. They are being used in a FDA regulated environment like pet food manufacturing and food plants. Water, oil and oil vapor is the death of a spindle.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Atlas Copco Rotary screw with dryer and set of filters before going out into the lab. Trend in food processing and pet food industry is to go "oil less" but many are switching back due to reliability and costs. With the new filter Atlas offers paired with the correct machine you can achieve high quality air. This new filter lasts very long and will give you same results as an oil less compressor with less operating costs and maintenance. They are being used in a FDA regulated environment like pet food manufacturing and food plants. Water, oil and oil vapor is the death of a spindle.
The only change Id make it going with a scroll. Whisper quiet, ultimate in clean air.
I'm part of 15 person lab. Currently we're running a California Airtools compressor that is having major dryness/water issues.

Any compressor creates water issues. You need to manage them. You can dry and filter air from any source. Its not cheap. To do it well is a couple thousand dollars.

Id invest in an Atlas Copco SF+. Youll still need some filters and dryers at point of use. Your goal should be at least class 2 air.

B

BNB

Reaction score

Got a few questions

We also run California Airtools (California Air Tools 8010 Ultra Quiet & Oil-Free)
Do you have to empty your compressors every day?
We get a very brown/yellowish discharge from our compressors and i wondering if you get the same too.

No idea why its that color but we've added Grainger air dryers to alleviate the extremely high humidity in our lines.

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
Kaeser screw compressor. Have had mine for 12 years. Runs like a charm. WE have dryer on it from company. Lines squeeky clean and dry. Runs the whole lab including the mills. I paid about $12000 Cdn about 12 years ago. Worth every penny

user name

user name

Reaction score
Got a few questions

We also run California Airtools (California Air Tools 8010 Ultra Quiet & Oil-Free)
Do you have to empty your compressors every day?
We get a very brown/yellowish discharge from our compressors and i wondering if you get the same too.

No idea why its that color but we've added Grainger air dryers to alleviate the extremely high humidity in our lines.
Not everyday...you need to crack it open every time it runs! You need an auto drain that either cycles with the compressor (Tsunami) or a timed drain.

The colored discharge is rusty water because youre not keeping it drained. You have 100% humidity in your tank. If you dont control it, youre putting it in your lines and your equipment.

Depending on how often your unit runs, youre at the least generating gallons of water every week.

Last edited:
R

restorativeinc

Reaction score
There are different types of refrigerated dryers for different types of compressors. If you have anything other that a rotary screw type, you will need a "High temp" refrigerated dryer. It would need to be matched to handle the CFM compressor output. We use an Atlas Copco model dryer (Model FXHT1UL). Cost was around $1500.00. Call a local compressor company. They can suggest better than any of us here.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Any time you compress air it gets hot, regardless of how its compressed. You only need a high temp refrige dryer if youre not using an aftercooler.

spacemanspiff

spacemanspiff

Reaction score
Thank you for all this information. It definitely helps!

B

BNB

Reaction score
Not everyday...you need to crack it open every time it runs! You need an auto drain that either cycles with the compressor (Tsunami) or a timed drain.

The colored discharge is rusty water because youre not keeping it drained. You have 100% humidity in your tank. If you dont control it, youre putting it in your lines and your equipment.

Depending on how often your unit runs, youre at the least generating gallons of water every week.

Hmmm looks like I'lll have to run this by my boss later on. Time for some future purchases to keep our mills alive and not chock full of rust/water. Thank you for the info!
We've had larger 50 gallon compressors run fine with no issues.

Just these small ones being very problematic.
much appreciated @user name

user name

user name

Reaction score
Hmmm looks like I'lll have to run this by my boss later on. Time for some future purchases to keep our mills alive and not chock full of rust/water. Thank you for the info!
We've had larger 50 gallon compressors run fine with no issues.

Just these small ones being very problematic.
much appreciated @user name
No problems? Problems were there. No matter the size of the tank, the water accumulation is proportional. Its a system, and every part is important. Its not like you just plug it in and fill some tires. I dont want to bore everyone, but heres a check list.
Compressor. You can greatly control moisture by not placing it in a humid location. Basement is a bad idea. If you must, at least run a dehumidifier close to it. You also must have an auto drain. Timed or cycle with the compressor. Its a must have. If its not oil free, you are getting oil in your air supply, so...
Oil/water separator. Just what it says. First component you need.
Dryers. Refrigerated is a good start. Run the lines to your point of use, then get it real dry with...
Desiccant dryers. Replaceable cartridge type is nice. Id suggest two. So its dry, but now you have some microscopic particles in the air from the desiccant...
Polishing filter. Get it clean! Ney Filter/Dryer is a good package, but there are others.
The last step is maintenance.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Im excited. Just got an Atlas Copco screw drive on the way.
I pit Air Compressor Direct against Compressor World. Compressor World came in the lowest, but after pushing some they dropped the price quite a bit more.
Current pump is in the basement. Today its 40% humidity down there. Upstairs where the screw will be its just under 30%, so thatll help take a load off the dryers.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I have a f riend who has one sitting in the middle of the room in his lab. I don't know what the brand is, but that thing is really quiet.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I have a f riend who has one sitting in the middle of the room in his lab. I don't know what the brand is, but that thing is really quiet.
Ive always wanted one, but a short visit with @RileyS pushed me to spend the money.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I pit Air Compressor Direct against Compressor World. Compressor World came in the lowest, but after pushing some they dropped the price quite a bit more.
Current pump is in the basement. Today its 40% humidity down there. Upstairs where the screw will be its just under 30%, so thatll help take a load off the dryers.
You're all tickled as can be aren't you?
You've been wanting a screw drive compressor for years.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
which model/size? im intruiged!

Top Bottom