Leaky Press

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
I think after 25 years you have had good use out of it. Just buy another one for heavens sakes. Is it worth having down time over such a small piece of equipment.
Now if you were worried about replacing a 300,000 dollar mill like i am i would understand.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I weigh the price the same as for 300K, lol, that's just me. If I had the 300K mill my mind would first go to how many dentures would I have to put out vs press pack to end up with the same profits. For the press I'm thinking through1k or more press vs how many more years will i be doing this vs hardware store $59 that will probably work for what i need it to do.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
This is what I have right now:
1548001044274.png
I do realize the cheaper replacement could crush a brass flask if not careful. It's been a while since I've used new equipment for a tax deduction, I seem to remember that major equipment can't be deducted all in the same year it has to prorate. I also realize that Mark J is somewhere screaming at this, but this is me and the process i go through.
1548001179745.png
I refuse to go back to this, sorry Kenneth :p
1548001762162.png

Got to place an order however, then the old one will be an old, pricey paperweight ...

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
That Big Boy looks new. Id be willing to sell something with some experience...
20190120_103946.jpg

user name

user name

Reaction score
Harris has yours for $700. It is all deductible the year of purchase.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Last week had the pre tax accountant chat. He said $2500 is the official line for calling it supplies instead of equipment.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Supplies vs equipment...
Supplies are generally considered consumable items and should be used up in a year.
Equipment is considered more permanent.
Supplies were duductible, equipment was expensed.
In 2016, things changed, allowing business expenses up to $2500 to all be deductible in the same year.

If youre in a similar situation to me, asking your accountant costs $$ and is an incentive to keep the mouth shut, pay the bills and be angry at the injustices.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
That Big Boy looks new. Id be willing to sell something with some experience...
View attachment 31777

Before I bought the currently broken press, I bought a Big Boy. The next day I took it to a welder who added longer support posts, mounted a car jack and a gauge, it was very cool, however it didn't hold pressure properly so i bought the one mentioned. The one I made was stolen otherwise I would consider it again , lol. I believe I bought the current one from Harris a long time ago, along with my light curing unit, and a few other things. I remember he made fun of my lab name at the time (which was only a day or two old and took way too much time to think up...),that prompted me to change the name .The light curing unit is about to break as well...

user name

user name

Reaction score
Before I bought the currently broken press, I bought a Big Boy. The next day I took it to a welder who added longer support posts, mounted a car jack and a gauge, it was very cool, however it didn't hold pressure properly so i bought the one mentioned. The one I made was stolen otherwise I would consider it again , lol. I believe I bought the current one from Harris a long time ago, along with my light curing unit, and a few other things. I remember he made fun of my lab name at the time (which was only a day or two old and took way too much time to think up...),that prompted me to change the name .The light curing unit is about to break as well...
Good thing we're all getting rich. :rolleyes:

N

nickate

Reaction score
It's almost like you are going out of your way to not easily better your product and solve your problem..... The answer is on this forum in the classifieds for $450. . Your choice of the two singles on the right. And when you are done with it you sell it for $450. This isn't that complicated.
1548104450134.png

user name

user name

Reaction score
I dont know if Id gamble on a Coe Bilt. Ive heard they only last a couple hundred years.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer, I've taken care of the situation!