No Suction argh...

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
IMG_6058.JPG I have a patient who cannot afford implants however I am thinking that will be her only solution. Tried Luckman dam which provides some retention but not enough. Contemplating those suction ultra suction but don't have any experience with them. Photo of the preliminary impression provided. I think implants will be the only option for her...Ideas or comments would be appreciated.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
View attachment 28737 I have a patient who cannot afford implants however I am thinking that will be her only solution. Tried Luckman dam which provides some retention but not enough. Contemplating those suction ultra suction but don't have any experience with them. Photo of the preliminary impression provided. I think implants will be the only option for her...Ideas or comments would be appreciated.
Unless you know something recent to the contrary, Ultra suction is dead. No response from anyone involved with it when I tried to contact them 2 times over the last 2 years. The burrs for 'octopus' dentures are probably still available from somewhere, but the little holes fill up with ick and they have a highly imperfect track record for some users/techs.

Is her vibrating line area soft and flappy or is it harder and providing elastic resistance?

Did you try no post palatal seal?
Had it work for a coworker and office I still know well one time when a new upper on a previous denture wearer would not stay in for 10 minutes even to get her checked and out of the office. Has been wearing it ever since as far as I know.

Last edited:
denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Unless you know something recent to the contrary, Ultra suction is dead. No response from anyone involved with it when I tried to contact them 2 times over the last 2 years. The burrs for 'octopus' dentures are probably still available from somewhere, but the little holes fill up with ick and they have a highly imperfect track record for some users/techs.

Is her vibrating line area soft and flappy or is it harder and providing elastic resistance?

Did you try no post palatal seal?
Had it work for a coworker and office I still know well one time when a new upper on a previous denture wearer would not stay in for 10 minutes even to get her checked and out of the office. Has been wearing it ever since as far as I know.
No just she has a partial lower which is stable so maybe an occlusion problem. When she drinks water or chews any food or sometimes when she speaks they just fall out...I have advised her to consider getting some implants...Thanks for the heads up regarding ultra suction.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
No just she has a partial lower which is stable so maybe an occlusion problem. When she drinks water or chews any food or sometimes when she speaks they just fall out...I have advised her to consider getting some implants...Thanks for the heads up regarding ultra suction.
As much as the MDI types get misused, this may be a good time for them if you know a placement doc that does it right. Save some money over implant/abutment and that might be enough to make it possible.

In your situation, I'd try a wax rim & stablized l/c baseplate without any postdam at all and see if that does anything for suction.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
As much as the MDI types get misused, this may be a good time for them if you know a placement doc that does it right. Save some money over implant/abutment and that might be enough to make it possible.

In your situation, I'd try a wax rim & stablized l/c baseplate without any postdam at all and see if that does anything for suction.
Thanks for the advice. I was leaning towards conventional implants but until you jogged my memory never considered them.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I was leaning towards conventional implants but until you jogged my memory never considered them.
Just choose wisely. Some mini systems don't support o rings anymore. Boss told me about a system supporting some sort of mini locator. I'll get back after new years....

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Just choose wisely. Some mini systems don't support o rings anymore. Boss told me about a system supporting some sort of mini locator. I'll get back after new years....
I think that'd be the LODI. Essentially a MDI style tiny implant with a threaded head to accept different height locator abutments.

http://www.xpdent.com/catalogs/locator/zest-locator-lodi-implant.aspx?sm=a_a

If it's not, I'm real interested to hear of another option. More options = more solutions.

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
Aw...man......After reading the title I was all excited to suggest a 110v whole house vac..... bummer. Sometimes this work stuff brings me down... Great info here on a serious topic.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Bottom line and I think all agree that this patient will need implants.

highscore

highscore

Reaction score
This is an implant case. Don't waste any more time trying to get it to fit, not gonna happen. I suggest a milled bar with locators (four would be perfect). Make sure you tell the patient that this is a "bone problem" not a "denture problem". Don't fall for the "my old denture doesn't fall out like this one" stuff from the patient.

MikeyDue

MikeyDue

Reaction score
Nice definition of the soft palate+vibrating line. I would use a strong post palatial seal. Is the buccal flange of the denture overextended/too thick? If so, speaking, chewing, drinking can easily dislodge the plate due to limited space in the buccal muccal fold. Consider all of these and go for a re line. Use a co comfort or visca gel liner. Have the patient wear it overnight to let it adapt to the anatomy. Hope this helps.

Sydceramist

Sydceramist

Reaction score
How did you take the impression? multi staged PVS?
The model looks insufficient/trimmed around the sulcus areas, whats going on there?

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
View attachment 28737 I have a patient who cannot afford implants however I am thinking that will be her only solution. Tried Luckman dam which provides some retention but not enough. Contemplating those suction ultra suction but don't have any experience with them. Photo of the preliminary impression provided. I think implants will be the only option for her...Ideas or comments would be appreciated.
Are you talking about Ultrasuction or Suction cup? They are 2 different things. I used to be a distributor for the Ultrasuction which is a kit that has a U shape tunnel and 2 one way valves. It works beautifully, the main distributor used to be in Canada but someone bought them out and he used to be in Washington state. I still have 2 kits of the Ultrasuction if you are interested in them. They run about $250.

K

kytoothdude

Reaction score
This is an implant case. Don't waste any more time trying to get it to fit, not gonna happen. I suggest a milled bar with locators (four would be perfect). Make sure you tell the patient that this is a "bone problem" not a "denture problem". Don't fall for the "my old denture doesn't fall out like this one" stuff from the patient.
No matter how bad they need implants, if you can't afford them, you can't afford them.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Well after many months and endless frustrations we managed to build her a set of teeth that relatively stay in place. I tried several different functional impressions and to no avail. Also tried several different acrylics to no avail. Bottom line was I applied some disclosing wax to the periphery and found some minor overextensions that needed to be trimmed. Also insured that the final impression was boxed and beaded and that the mixing ratios of the Diamond D acrylic was followed tot he letter.....It is still not perfect but it has some suction with the inclusion of the Luckman dam and stays relatively in place while she is speaking. For occlusion I placed zero degree teeth using a dentsply 20 degree curve on a duraflex lower partial denture and the uppers recieved some Candulour preference setup in lingualized fashion....she still needs a few dabs of denture adhesive on the upper to stabilize during mastication but it is much better than the first attempts we made.....While I didn't make a penny on the case it likely made me a better lab tech and clinician although I am not certain I will see a case like this again.