Statistics

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
How about a thread devoted to stats ?

Dental first before it gets all fukcy.

What percentage of case failures could be attributed to improper shade selection/match ?
20%?

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
I would think a lot less, 2%. Poor impressions 20%

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Dental first before it gets all fukcy.

Three posts later we can sidestep from dental...lol

• 0.3 per cent of all road accidents in Canada involve a moose.
• 13 people a year are killed by vending machines falling on them.
• 4 per cent of the U.S. population are vegetarians.
• 40 per cent of cat and dog owners carry pictures of their pets in their wallets.
• 40 per cent of women have hurled footwear at a man.
• 50 per cent of bank robberies take place on Fridays.
• 70 per cent of all boats sold are used in fishing.
• 90 per cent of women who walk into a department store immediately turn to the right..
• Assuming Rudolph was in front, there are 40,320 ways to rearrange the other eight reindeer.
• August is the month when most babies are born.
• The average 4-year-old asks over 400 questions a day.
• The average adult spends about 12 minutes in the shower per day.
• The average person keeps old magazines for 29 weeks before they throw them out.
• The average person speaks about 31,500 words per day.
• The average person spends about 2 years on the phone in a lifetime.
• The average person will spend two weeks over their lifetime waiting for the traffic lights to change.
• Children between the ages of two and seven, on average, colour for 28 minutes every day.
• Couples who marry in January, February and March tend to have the highest divorce rates.
• Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada has the largest number of bars per capita than anywhere else in the world.
• It would take more than 150 years to drive a car to the sun. **
• The longest kiss on record lasted 130 hours and two minutes.
• Married men tip better than unmarried men.
• Men are 1.6 times more likely to undergo by-pass heart surgery than women.
• The most hazardous season: summer.
• Odds of being killed by a dog: one in 700,000.
• Odds of being killed by a tornado: one in 2,000,000.
• Odds of being killed by falling out of bed: one in 2,000,000.
• Odds of being killed in a car crash: one in 5,000.
• Odds of dying in the bathtub: one in 1,000,000.
• The record for the world’s worst driver is shared by (1) a 75-year old man who received 10 traffic tickets, drove on the wrong side of the road 4 times, committed 4 hit-and-run offences and caused 6 accidents, all within 20 minutes on 15 Oct 1966; and (2) a 62-year-old woman who failed her driving test 40 times before passing it in August 1970 (by that time she had spent over $1,000 in lessons and could no longer afford to buy a car).
• The safest age of life is 10 years old.
• Sweden has the least number of murders annually.
• Women shoplift more than men – the statistics are four to one.
• You are more likely to get attacked by a cow than a shark.
• Approximately 97.3978271128 per cent of all statistics are made up
(Plagiarized from the net)

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I would think a lot less, 2%. Poor impressions 20%
I consider an incorrect shade to be a failure as well if the patient isn't satisfied with the outcome.
I suppose it's difficult to measure but I wonder if this stat exists in any publication?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
What percentage of case failures could be attributed to improper shade selection/match ?
20%?
On single anteriors (centrals and/or laterals)? Probably... But in general? Way, way less than that. I dont have a number handy, though.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
20% sounds about right but probably less.. that's a hard stat to track. just because the crown was seated doesn't mean it matched.. If 1 in 4 anteriors came back for shade, Id find something else to do. Like scratch at padded walls.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
1 in 4 anteriors came back for shade, Id find something else to do. Like scratch at padded walls.
LaughLaugh

Single centrals are rarely spot on.

just because the crown was seated doesn't mean it matched..
I would actually go as far as saying that most monolithic Zr restorations don't shade match. Be it value, translucency etc...

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
LaughLaugh

I would actually go as far as saying that most monolithic Zr restorations don't shade match. Be it value, translucency etc...
Those are all failures in my opinion. Shade is the first thing a patient looks at.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Those are all failures in my opinion. Shade is the first thing a patient looks at.
As for the centrals, they go back a couple times and, most of them, I get them to match enough, so they 'disappear' in the smile... So to speak... (Shape is as important, in the anterior region, as shade)

As for monolithic Zr restorations, and to a certain extent Monolithic e.max, I sustain my claim. However, Dr. and Pt. accept a lower standard, since many times it is sold as a cheaper and more esthetic solution to a gold crown...

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Improper shade communication.
" kind like inbetween D2 and C1?
using a vita classic in stead of the 3d guide.
I'm more interested in the failure rate of poor communication techniques.
We can match a crown with the patient present but we usually get a basic shade for the posteriors.
Is matching the guide our measure of success or do we measure from patient acceptance and an accurate selection?

Wainwright

Wainwright

Reaction score
85% of all statistics are made on the fly.

@Jason D All kidding aside, great data, thank you for sharing.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
20% sounds about right but probably less.. that's a hard stat to track. just because the crown was seated doesn't mean it matched.. If 1 in 4 anteriors came back for shade, Id find something else to do. Like scratch at padded walls.
I read one study that indicated 93% of the selected patients were satisfied with the test crown results ( spectrometer vs shade guide)

That takes us to around 7% unhappy. I think It is still higher.
10% is substantial enough .

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
Wait… Are you saying one out of every 10 cases fails because of shade? Or are you saying one in 10 failed cases is due to Shade

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
So would 10% be a fair estimate?

wwcanoer

wwcanoer

Reaction score
1. My eye for color sucks, don't see value well at all. If I had my way everyone would have gold crowns.
2. worked with an assistant with an amazing eye for color, she took all the single anterior shades, with me standing next to her taking notes. Our failure rate was about 2%, and about half of those was because the patient "bleached" between prep and cement date. grrrrr
3. most number of shade remakes, on a try-in coping was 10 before hitting the right recipe.
4. I am so glad I'm now retired and don't ever have to make another porcelain or Emax crown in my life. Did I mention that I loved working gold??
Happy Holidays to all, and we have crab this year!!

Top Bottom