ClearSPLINT problems, suggestions?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I mix all of my powders and monomers on vibrator, Gets the bubbles out nicely for me and I know its incorporated well.
I do that too. What I'm aiming for eventually is this: If you have a spare suction source you can put it in a vaccum chamber and really get all the air out. The professional model makers for special effects stuff do this to keep a prop weapon from shattering because of a bubble-caused weak spot.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I do that too. What I'm aiming for eventually is this: If you have a spare suction source you can put it in a vaccum chamber and really get all the air out. The professional model makers for special effects stuff do this to keep a prop weapon from shattering because of a bubble-caused weak spot.
Ivobase injection kindof gets rid of those bubbles too.

edit: Wow, thought I was on the ivobase thread... I have injected it before but its more of a hassle than its worth.

Last edited:
JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I flask clearsplint. It has always come out nice for me that way.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Do you put it in your pressure pot or do you cure it overnight?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Do you put it in your pressure pot or do you cure it overnight?
Depends on when Dr. needs it. I have a 90 PSI pressure pot that a flask fits perfectly in, but I am left to wonder the VDO change since I cannot fit it in a compression jig as well. In theory its not the ideal situation, but in practice it hasn't been an issue. I normally only have one of these once in a while. So I use a reline jig for a single flask compress, since it is what I have on hand.

H

Heather Excel

Reaction score
I don't soak my models before packing, and I do add separator before waxing to avoid the need to boil out. I've only had bubbles when it's over mixed. I am having a really hard time with the separator working properly. It is breaking more teeth and leaving a ridiculous residue that I can only remove by sandblasting it. Not ideal. Any suggestions?

DavidW

DavidW

Reaction score
Sounds like you are pulling your separater off with the wax

Chalky

Chalky

Reaction score
mix on a vibrator and pour on a vibrator... work all the air out in both the initial mix and the pour

Chalky

Chalky

Reaction score
I flask with a well around the top of the wax up... so I pour, wait til its stiff enough then press. works really nicely, and much less messy! clearsplint is sticky, messy sh!t!!

H

Heather Excel

Reaction score
I flask with a well around the top of the wax up... so I pour, wait til its stiff enough then press. works really nicely, and much less messy! clearsplint is sticky, messy sh!t!!
I do this too :) mainly concerned about the breaking teeth and sticking to the stone. Sounds like dialing in my temp and getting the right separator is the key.