Best Digital Impression Scanner

evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score
What's everyone's take on the best digital impression scanner.

I'm primarily a Removable Lab but we outsource our C&B and are looking at scanners to shave some days off of our turnaround time.

We'd prefer to simply scan the impression(s) as our C&B lab will then print a model as needed, so no reason for us to pour up a model and then scan it.

In terms of speed, quality and price - what's everyone like?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
So long as it stays less raucous than a gnu/linux board discussing emacs vs vi I'm gonna find a cozy spot and watch the show.Biggrin

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
your eyes

everything else is sub par

A

Avillon007

Reaction score
you have a long list to chose from but mainly look for a scanner that has excellent or good after sale service; training and tech support also look for a scanner with many users so you can find instant online support.
i suggest looking into DOF, Medit, 3shape (expensive) thats all i know so sorry i couldnt help more my friend
OH one thing you need to consider that you cant scan subgingival margins impressions

Roman

Roman

Reaction score
The same scenario here. We primarily making removables but occasionally C&B. I'm using Identica Hybrid. Got the scanner to be able order metal framework oversee. $35 with model. You can't beet that. As an additional option expand lab to fabricate c&b, but ordering unglased and glaze them on site along with some design correction. Feel more safe in that way.

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
If I'm scanning impressions and printing models (Medit Hybrid + Collab software) A little scanning wax to back up the flash on sub-gingival margins helps tremendously!...just like ditching the die (in reverse)
IMG_4003.JPG IMG_4004.JPG IMG_4005.JPG Imp_scan.JPG merged_scan.JPG pre_margin_mark.JPG

Attachments

• margin_marked.JPG
    margin_marked.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 82
S

sirmorty

Reaction score
I have done a few this way with my DOF scanner.
It's an interesting work flow because you're making the crown before the model. Then reverse fitting things.

Nice idea about using the scan wax in the margin area.

It can be hit and miss. I find that I'm messing with the bites too much digitally. Could just be the horrible triple tray impression.

And on full mouth impressions I find the same thing. Adjusting the bite digitally is a bit of a pain.
Seems like it could be anywhere sometimes.

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
Yep it's already ditched!! The wax technique works quite well when pouring a stone model too. ( Very ancient lab trick..I've been doing this too long lol,44 years) Once you get use to "Equilibrating" bites digitally it gets quicker and easier. I'm scanning and printing most of my cases now, besides receiving IOs's. if necessary ,You just have to learn how "die fudge" digitally in reverse using free-forming and editing the mesh. Moved to this workflow 6 months ago. So far I'm having good success, plus I hate pouring models!

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
I'm interested in doing this, I just don't really trust it on cases. The high and dry margins, Sure it's a lot easier, it's the sub-G margins and the guess a margin game that I can get it working.
I'm not an expert at "die fudging".
I still sometimes pour a die and add it to the the scanned impression.

I will definitely try your technique. If you have any other advice, please do share it with me.

Thanks.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I have asked a few very experienced dental techs who i trust about scanning impressions. They have all said it can be done, but only on certain impressions. Scanning impressions reminds me of "press to metal." Sounds good in theory.

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
IF I get any impression I can't work with, scan or pour, they get a call to take a new impression. If I get "well, do the best you can" or "make it work" then they get the waiver...You'll pay for a remake. Most of time they take a new impression ;) I have never been a fan of "press to metal either" lol. This is actually working for me.

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
i have a Shining3d DS-EX scanner and made a few crowns via impression scanning. spot on, zero issues. i was impressed. is it the best out there for it? no idea. never attempted with my old 3shape so i have nothing to compare it with except the normal crown results day to day.