Medit i500 IOS aligner

O

OrthoHen

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
i am thinking about getting the new medit i500 intraoralscanner for our orthodontic office. So far we are using Invisalign to do aligner treatment. With the i500, a software to plan the aligner treatment and a 3d printer we would be able to start doing aligner treatment in our office.
Does anyone here have experience with the medit i500 so far? We could not upload scans from the scanner to Invisalign since Invisalign doesn't work with the medit scanner so far. Does anyone know whether this will change in the future or another way to be able to use the scans for Invisalign?
We had a live demonstration and it worked very well. I only don't find any studies about the accuracy so far, does anyone have informations on this?
Also there should be no scan fees, but there is a cloud with a limited annual upload contingent, does anyone know whether this is sufficient?
Thank you for the help in advance

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I have the medit i500 I/O scanner, it's a bad little beast. I know, what is a lab doing with a I/O scanner...long story short, i'm tired of waiting for my Docs to get one, so I'll take it to them and show them how friggin awesome it is. Invisalign only works with Itero right now, they use to work with trios not too long ago. However, if ortho is your gig and predominately your gig, I have to be honest here. I'd suggest getting the Carestream 3600 for one reason, they have a huge ortho software program integrated with their I/O scanner. Even with the Medit i500, you'd need a software program (i.e. Exocad CS, ialigner, or another ortho program) to create the clear aligners with, then you can send them to printer. The medit i500 has a facebook page which does get into much more involved questions/answers.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Did you make your own appliances before getting the scanner? Although it seems easy, it does require a change of workflow. Do you have time to sit and arrange teeth in CAD? Maybe you want more control, or maybe lower prices? There are dozens of labs that can make your aligners from a scan, not just invisalign. You could also outsource the tooth movement, get back a printable .stl and print your own model and suckdown, or print an aligner.. depending on your printer.

I should also mention blue sky bio has their ortho software for free with per use charge for output.

O

OrthoHen

Reaction score
Tanks for the replies, we have Benn doing our aligners with wax set ups for a long time. Designing them now on the pc seems like a big advantage. I designed and printed some for myself after a test scan with the i500.
I think we will go for the i500, since we are already familiar with a German cad/cam software we want to use for the aligner aligner (onyxceph).
Does anyone knows something about the exocad ortho software so far coming out end of this year?
Thank you

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Ive only used 3shape ortho, its pretty powerful. BSB Im not so sure about, but its a great way to get started with little to no investment in software, and put the money towards a nicer printer. Anything exocad does is good and innovative, so Im sure it will be worth the money.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Ive only used 3shape ortho, its pretty powerful. BSB Im not so sure about, but its a great way to get started with little to no investment in software, and put the money towards a nicer printer. Anything exocad does is good and innovative, so Im sure it will be worth the money.
I agree, I used the (BSB) BlueSkyBioPlan software this past weekend for a surgical guide, very simple...still not sure $20 per guide is cost effective, but it seems it will be on our end. Anyone else doing these?

Omar B. Hansson

Omar B. Hansson

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
i am thinking about getting the new medit i500 intraoralscanner for our orthodontic office. So far we are using Invisalign to do aligner treatment. With the i500, a software to plan the aligner treatment and a 3d printer we would be able to start doing aligner treatment in our office.
Does anyone here have experience with the medit i500 so far? We could not upload scans from the scanner to Invisalign since Invisalign doesn't work with the medit scanner so far. Does anyone know whether this will change in the future or another way to be able to use the scans for Invisalign?
We had a live demonstration and it worked very well. I only don't find any studies about the accuracy so far, does anyone have informations on this?
Also there should be no scan fees, but there is a cloud with a limited annual upload contingent, does anyone know whether this is sufficient?
dear otho hen,
To use Invisaligne you have to go to cource with them to be able to use there system. the scanner dose not matter. So you could easily use the Medit it is a very good scanner. 3shape can be used also. Regards
Omar

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I have the medit i500 I/O scanner, it's a bad little beast. I know, what is a lab doing with a I/O scanner...long story short, i'm tired of waiting for my Docs to get one, so I'll take it to them and show them how friggin awesome it is. Invisalign only works with Itero right now, they use to work with trios not too long ago. However, if ortho is your gig and predominately your gig, I have to be honest here. I'd suggest getting the Carestream 3600 for one reason, they have a huge ortho software program integrated with their I/O scanner. Even with the Medit i500, you'd need a software program (i.e. Exocad CS, ialigner, or another ortho program) to create the clear aligners with, then you can send them to printer. The medit i500 has a facebook page which does get into much more involved questions/answers.
after speaking with Invisalign a few weeks ago, they can accept any open format data (.stl) to make their products. just an FYI straight from Invisalign

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
dear otho hen,
To use Invisaligne you have to go to cource with them to be able to use there system. the scanner dose not matter. So you could easily use the Medit it is a very good scanner. 3shape can be used also. Regards
Omar
Invisalign will only accept Trios scans from Canada. We are special .

D

Donnie Praditya Sugiarto

Reaction score
after speaking with Invisalign a few weeks ago, they can accept any open format data (.stl) to make their products. just an FYI straight from Invisalign
Hello. Just want to make sure, so you just send STL (from other IOS Scanner) to Invisalign via email ?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Hello. Just want to make sure, so you just send STL (from other IOS Scanner) to Invisalign via email ?
Depends what country you live in. USA it's only itero scans. Other countries are different what they will or will not accept.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
LabGuy is correct. they locked things down as of this year. they are still accepting some PVS impressions during this covid mess..but otherwise they stopped taking most if not all other stl files from anything other than itero

M

MolarMania

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Don't waste your time with other scanners for Invisalign. Align owns Itero and now own Exocad. They dropped 3Shape when they created an ortho module to create aligners. Why would they open their system when they now have all the components to sell and make a profit? They are willing to let less acccurate impressions come in just to let you know you could do better with their scanner...Make the patient sit with the goo in their mouth multiple times and let the dentist send more impressions at a later date. Major cash sucking company. With my Trios I am sending to Align's competitors. You have choices if you are gonna do your own aligners in house also.. Medit is a great company. I own their lab scanner T500. They stand by their product. Align will not let us send them a scan of a hard model! Yup, even if you goo the patient like they like you to do. They will not take scans from any scanner except theirs. So waste our time with shipping, chances of losing the impressions, make your patients gag, spend money on materials, etc. Let's move on to their competitors.
Will be interesting how they will now screw labs with Exocad.

E

Evolve.DC

Reaction score
Don't waste your time with other scanners for Invisalign. Align owns Itero and now own Exocad. They dropped 3Shape when they created an ortho module to create aligners. Why would they open their system when they now have all the components to sell and make a profit? They are willing to let less acccurate impressions come in just to let you know you could do better with their scanner...Make the patient sit with the goo in their mouth multiple times and let the dentist send more impressions at a later date. Major cash sucking company. With my Trios I am sending to Align's competitors. You have choices if you are gonna do your own aligners in house also.. Medit is a great company. I own their lab scanner T500. They stand by their product. Align will not let us send them a scan of a hard model! Yup, even if you goo the patient like they like you to do. They will not take scans from any scanner except theirs. So waste our time with shipping, chances of losing the impressions, make your patients gag, spend money on materials, etc. Let's move on to their competitors.
Will be interesting how they will now screw labs with Exocad.

With your trios scanner, what competitors are you sending scans to? Heard there is a exocad ortho, but its not fda approved for the US. is there and third party software anyone know about?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
With your trios scanner, what competitors are you sending scans to? Heard there is a exocad ortho, but its not fda approved for the US. is there and third party software anyone know about?
One option: Clear Correct.