Expense Ratio - Labor

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
a few things I do here to make "work" a little more enjoyable.... M-Th 10 hour days, so as long as we arent drop dead busy, 3 day weekends for the techs.
i buy the lab lunch, a lot. but not like pizza all the time, i have my smoker and a giant grill here. we smoke and grill a LOT, especially in the summer. ribs, wings, sausages, burgers, dogs, you name it we love it. and bonuses/work functions. last year i took the entire lab to Gatlinburg for a 3 day weekend, rented a nice cabin and we all went wine/distillery touring. had a freaking blast!
just because the dollar tag isnt huge, doesnt mean that the lab environment has to be garbage. we want to enjoy work. maybe especially since we dont think we are making what we should be making for constructing patient specific oral healthcare appliances.

You are offering employees a fantastic opportunity to become part of a lab "family" as labs used to be waaaay back in the 70's.
Don't forget there are some (like myself) who just want to do their job and get out.
A joke I always say when offered lunch is "Can I have the money instead?"
A bit brash but true. In my situation I need the cash more than lunch.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
You are offering employees a fantastic opportunity to become part of a lab "family" as labs used to be waaaay back in the 70's.
Don't forget there are some (like myself) who just want to do their job and get out.
A joke I always say when offered lunch is "Can I have the money instead?"
A bit brash but true. In my situation I need the cash more than lunch.
hey thats fair, but my employees have never turned it down. to each his/her own. i dont hire the ones that just want to work their 8hr and go home. cant afford to hire those. sad realization but its true.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Culture. So much is based on that one point that it is difficult to make dirrect comparisons.
Local culture, lab culture, staff bacgrounds. It all gells or it doesn't. You can make a great apple pie with apples, but slip one pear in there without adjusting something and you'll have an unexpected and memorably bad experience for most.
Adaptability to different needs and selection of the types of personalities you need to fulfill your vision on what that pie should taste like is what we are always preaching at the tech who wants to open a lab with the question "Why you, what makes you different"

Cookie cutter employees in cookie cutter jobs, I wouln't expect them to pursue much personal or professional growth. And in some places that might be exactly what in truly needed. But not for everyone or every business.

Apple has made billions by making themselves appear to look different, and telling everyone to 'be different' even though what they mean is be conforming. It's culture buy-in by the consumer that sells a service, and even though I may bill out devices, I want to sell a service. Not a commodity.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
If this is true-- "I also do not get paid what I think I am worth, but that is the situation we’re in." why in the heck are you still doing this? What changes are you implementing to get proper compensation and change your situation? Now? Tomorrow? Next week?

In our industry I truly believe these days of artistry are numbered and the computer is coming right to the Dr's. offices. Make money whille you still can. RAISE YOUR PRICES.

Just because I don’t make as much as I think I’m worth doesn’t mean I don’t have more then enough. More then most actually. I live by it’s not how much you make it’s how much you spend. As stated I believe I could make more elsewhere or in another industry but I don’t chase the money. Fortunately I quit chasing every dollar I could find quite a few years ago now and I have more then I ever have in my life. Funny how that works.

I was just simply stating that I don’t think the proper value is there for most in our industry. Is that our own doing or something else that’s another discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom