Copings from ARGEN

Tradewindj

Tradewindj

Reaction score
Thelabguy is correct on handling PMF's. I would add... cleaning your copings with acetone in the ultra sonic. Makoto Yamamoto wrote the bible on pfm's and is a good reference for tech's.
NOW, here goes..
I do not like and will not bad mouth manufactures but I will give some insite concerning my experience early on with Argen copings. I managed a laboratory that was sold to a large corporate venture capital group. Before the sale, we milled and casted all our own work and only outsourced to one of our sister labs if we were over capacity, we had total control. The laboratory ran very well with the normal glitches we all can experience in a larger lab with many techs. After the sale, the business plan was to outsource all the FCZ, zirconia copings and metal copings/frameworks to Argen. The zirconia and FCZ were ok (with exception to design) but we had problems with the alloys. For example, I have a painful memory of a splinted six single unit anterior framework with some expensive precious alloy precision attachments on the distal of #6-#11. We were using Vita VM 13 and had no issues before the outsource. We handled the material according to the manufactures instructions to a tee. My head ceramist brought me the case full of cracks and bubbled porcelain. Thinking that the metal finisher and/or the opaquer did not handle the framework properly, we striped and refinished/opaqued it again. Next day, the ceramist brought the bridge to me with the same outcome. It looked to be both coefficient issue and alloy mishandling. We resubmitted the design to Argen for a new framework. When it arrived we cut off the precision attachments from the old framework and soldered to the new framework. Same outcome. I was forced to continue working with Argen for this framework instead of casting in-house. After the third attempt, I said screw it and had my techs do what they did well and waxed and casted the framework in-house. The results were perfect! Now, during this wonderful experience, I was on the phone with Argen technical because I smelled a coefficient problem. They kept telling us we were the problem. After a face to face meeting with Argen management they finally admitted one of there employees mixed the alloy formula wrong. Damn.. I was pissed!! All the time and money wasted when all they had to due was come clean and be truthful. I can understand mistakes but willfully hiding the truth... especially with a new business partner... FU. This happened in 2015. The Funny thing is how a company who dominates the dental alloy market had waxed and casted these frameworks in their alloy and took two weeks to figure the problem out. If the framework was an SLM, it would have been fine. I would think by now Argen has their quality control in place and it would not happen again. :rolleyes:

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I'm probobly more wreckless than most when handling my copings. I get them from Argen also. The last few I have requested DPM have come back as SLM which I dont like as well.. Anyways I've never had a problem with their stuff as far as bubbling. I thin the margins , sandblast, throw them in the utrasonic for about 30 seconds, thin paste opaque, degass at the same time. second opaque after that. I use Euro metal.

N

Nobody perfect

Reaction score
I'm probobly more wreckless than most when handling my copings. I get them from Argen also. The last few I have requested DPM have come back as SLM which I dont like as well.. Anyways I've never had a problem with their stuff as far as bubbling. I thin the margins , sandblast, throw them in the utrasonic for about 30 seconds, thin paste opaque, degass at the same time. second opaque after that. I use Euro metal.
Which porcelain do you use?

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Which porcelain do you use?
Right now I'm using Inline.. Just follow the basics. I also do some work for other labs.. I have for most of my life. Just make sure you follow the recommendations form the manufactures. I know with a couple of their metals to degas I have to go higher in temp, hold longer, maybe have to sandblast after degas. That and my wife is the best paste opaque opaquer I know.. I never could get the hang of that stuff. They are always clean and smooth as can be. No runs, rips, tears , bubbles that can contribute to bubbles.

N

Nobody perfect

Reaction score
Right now I'm using Inline.. Just follow the basics. I also do some work for other labs.. I have for most of my life. Just make sure you follow the recommendations form the manufactures. I know with a couple of their metals to degas I have to go higher in temp, hold longer, maybe have to sandblast after degas. That and my wife is the best paste opaque opaquer I know.. I never could get the hang of that stuff. They are always clean and smooth as can be. No runs, rips, tears , bubbles that can contribute to bubbles.
What's the temperature for degas ?

M

Marlin Gohn CDT

Reaction score
STOP!!! Are you steam cleaning your copings after you sandblast? If yes, DO NOT, just throw them in some distilled water and ultrasonic for 5 mins instead of steam cleaning after you sandblast. I know, it sounds silly, but try it...the problem is that the heating elements in the steamers are coated with a teflon material (which is great, makes them last a very long time) however, it contaminates the steam. This little bit of tidbit of info cost me over 25K and almost my sanity to figure out. Was getting bubbles (usually during glaze cycle),always coming from metal, changed crucibles, gasses, oxygen, different alloys, you name it....then Ernie from Ivoclar said they just threw all their steamers out the door, they found the same problem. Hope this helps and if not, maybe someone else.

M

Marlin Gohn CDT

Reaction score
some good advise, do not use a steamer as it can contaminate surface of the alloy. couple of things to look at, these units are made upside down and when the supports are broke off the can leave a small pit that resembles porosity and should be removed prior to degassing, if you see any after degassing remove them and sandblast. applying opaque or bonder works best with a square tip brush scrubbing in to ensure everything is covered, recommendations are for 70% coverage on first coat and firing 15° higher than normal,