What would you do?

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
You should have introduced yourself. That was an unusual venue for me. 4 one hour presentations back to back.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
You should have introduced yourself. That was an unusual venue for me. 4 one hour presentations back to back.
Really great lineup of guest lecturers this time...There will be other times.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Ok, an update... I didn't send a new list or email, really no reason why... Get a call recently from the office really wanting to start sending me cases again. I agreed and in a deja vu moment for that particular office, I begin like I did the first time I walked in there nearly 15 years ago ;-p, coming face to face with a worried tech picking up work the same time I was.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Ok, an update... I didn't send a new list or email, really no reason why... Get a call recently from the office really wanting to start sending me cases again. I agreed and in a deja vu moment for that particular office, I begin like I did the first time I walked in there nearly 15 years ago ;-p, coming face to face with a worried tech picking up work the same time I was.
Give 'em a business card and ask them to give you a call. Right in front of the receptionist.

I'd like to think that I'd ask who, by name, called them and if it's not the same one that called me, attempt to find out if they are that mismanaged and mis communicating. But if the drama isn't worth it for the work? As Paul, George, John and Ringo would advise "Let It Be"

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Give 'em a business card and ask them to give you a call. Right in front of the receptionist.

I'd like to think that I'd ask who, by name, called them and if it's not the same one that called me, attempt to find out if they are that mismanaged and mis communicating. But if the drama isn't worth it for the work? As Paul, George, John and Ringo would advise "Let It Be"

I try not to step on another techs toes, personally if an account quits and I've done my best, I don't look back. I don't play games. It's almost like meeting up with the "other woman", lol, only it was a guy and i was taking work away from him. Anyway, someone will call me a liberal :p, but I wish in the future that we entrepreneurial types could have the same benefits that employees enjoy, that we would have to be officially "hired" or "fired", and that each dentist would have to contribute a bit (tax/tarriff whatever) towards our insurance on each case. It wouldn't have to be very paperwork intensive, just a form saying they are retaining our services, and one that says they no longer need our services with no other strings attached.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I try not to step on another techs toes, personally if an account quits and I've done my best, I don't look back. I don't play games. It's almost like meeting up with the "other woman", lol, only it was a guy and i was taking work away from him. Anyway, someone will call me a liberal :p, but I wish in the future that we entrepreneurial types could have the same benefits that employees enjoy, that we would have to be officially "hired" or "fired", and that each dentist would have to contribute a bit (tax/tarriff whatever) towards our insurance on each case. It wouldn't have to be very paperwork intensive, just a form saying they are retaining our services, and one that says they no longer need our services with no other strings attached.
Didn't intent to insuinuate any toe stepping. Just a communication path.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Didn't intent to insuinuate any toe stepping. Just a communication path.
Well I have his lab address, it's on the box the doc sent with case. The other guy probably has mine (another pet peeve I have is giving out expensive delvery boxes/bags that go to other labs ;-p I'll send him a note and say hi :)

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Well I have his lab address, it's on the box the doc sent with case. The other guy probably has mine (another pet peeve I have is giving out expensive delvery boxes/bags that go to other labs ;-p I'll send him a note and say hi :)
I bought mine on Uline for .25 a box. No printing. Could care less if it vanished off the face of the earth.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I bought mine on Uline for .25 a box. No printing. Could care less if it vanished off the face of the earth.
That and a self inking stamp like used on the back of checks and you're set.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I have one that is a multi dds office and not all send to me. For whatever reason. Could that be clouding this further?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
each dentist would have to contribute a bit (tax/tarriff whatever) towards our insurance on each case.

If they aren't already you need to adjust your fees. It's part of your operating costs.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score

I
I have one that is a multi dds office and not all send to me. For whatever reason. Could that be clouding this further?

I was being dramatic, that's what texans do, lol. He was a lab tech and he did look worried, but he was probably the fixed guy :cool:

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
If they aren't already you need to adjust your fees. It's part of your operating costs.

It's easy to read from my posts what my business flaws are. I'm trying to correct these, should have done this sooner. Mostly in delivery/pickup costs and if you make too much money then you are paying nearly $10k per year out of pocket for health ins. (family) If you make too little you get obamacare, which is a hassle all by itself. My denture cost per case would be way too high to afford proper insurance, you either have to have a spouse that works with insurance or take a part time job that offers insurance. Doesn't seem fair.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I

I was being dramatic, that's what texans do, lol. He was a lab tech and he did look worried, but he was probably the fixed guy :cool:
A self-actuated woman in Texas. He was probably scared for that reason alone!

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
That and a self inking stamp like used on the back of checks and you're set.
Yep. Self printed label if you want fancy.

I just had this anal thing about universal precautions:
Incoming work that involved anything needing disinfection, I chuck the box.
So I kept the cost down.

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
What if a long time past account that hasn't sent work for three years (who was obviously using another lab),out of the blue asks for a new price list? Would you run one over as if nothing ever happened, snail mail it, email it, or do nothing ( they had used my lab for ten years prior to that)?
I would want to get a good look at the front desk people. Sometimes it is They, that make the change. Believe it or not, sometimes the Dr. doesn't notice. Maybe the front desk person had a friend that opened a new lab, or a very charming delivery person came in with presents. Maybe they hired a new person back then, or the old person that liked you returned.

Who knows? I'd like to know. If you don't care, email the price list. Price fishing is much easier with emails.

We had one office that would ask us to fax a price list, so we did. Then six months later they asked again. A different person asking for the price list. I relized at that point there was no interest, just collecting data. So, All Of The Above. All knowledge is good. Perhaps you could have explored the Why of it when they left. Maybe you don't care.

If you do care, personalize it. Show up, with smiles for everyone. Include a note saying you appreciated the business in the past and would like to know the reasons for change.

You know all this. I find writing a Pros and Cons list a good way to assess the situation.

Last edited:
JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Yep. Self printed label if you want fancy.

I just had this anal thing about universal precautions:
Incoming work that involved anything needing disinfection, I chuck the box.
So I kept the cost down.
I'll admit that getting opened on a table made me think a lot more about that too.

Those plastic clamshell and 2pc containers many like to use get hit with cavicide on and out before going to live case storage.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I would want to get a good look at the front desk people. Sometimes it is They, that make the change. Believe it or not, sometimes the Dr. doesn't notice. Maybe the front desk person had a friend that opened a new lab, or a very charming delivery person came in with presents. Maybe they hired a new person back then, or the old person that liked you returned.

Who knows? I'd like to know. If you don't care, email the price list. Price fishing is much easier with emails.

We had one office that would ask us to fax a price list, so we did. Then six months later they asked again. A different person asking for the price list. I relized at that point there was no interest, just collecting data. So, All Of The Above. All knowledge is good. Perhaps you could have explored the Why of it when they left. Maybe you don't care.

If you do care, personalize it. Show up, with smiles for everyone. Include a note saying you appreciated the business in the past and would like to know the reasons for change.

You know all this. I find writing a Pros and Cons list a good way to assess the situation.

I always deal with the front desk people, I make it a point to know them all, that's how I got recommended to come back. There's a lot to the story I wouldn't write here, but I did show up with a smile and got the story they changed because of a recommendation from a lab friend, it wasn't me it was them kind of story. Anyway, I'm the kind of person that doesn't look back, so my insides are screaming change the lab phone #, but my business side is saying get over it.

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
I always deal with the front desk people, I make it a point to know them all, that's how I got recommended to come back. There's a lot to the story I wouldn't write here, but I did show up with a smile and got the story they changed because of a recommendation from a lab friend, it wasn't me it was them kind of story. Anyway, I'm the kind of person that doesn't look back, so my insides are screaming change the lab phone #, but my business side is saying get over it.
That is a good follow up story. Thanks for sharing it!

We had a sales guy show up at our clients office (the H walked in while salesman was leaning in for some intimate chat),who is on kissing terms with a past 'shared space lab owner'. Our work disappeared for several months and then returned. We just acted like nothing happened. It takes such a long time to earn their trust. That along with the sarcastic remarks about dental technicians lying, being late with cases and and generally misrepresenting themselves. It's really weird how many charlatans are lab owners.

Stories like yours cheer me up.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
That is a good follow up story. Thanks for sharing it!

We had a sales guy show up at our clients office (the H walked in while salesman was leaning in for some intimate chat),who is on kissing terms with a past 'shared space lab owner'. Our work disappeared for several months and then returned. We just acted like nothing happened. It takes such a long time to earn their trust. That along with the sarcastic remarks about dental technicians lying, being late with cases and and generally misrepresenting themselves. It's really weird how many charlatans are lab owners.

Stories like yours cheer me up.

I had a good friend lab owner named Art, he passed away 15 years ago, so I'll talk about him :) He could care less about if a dentist liked him or not, they would drop off work and he would return it when he got around to it, he was retirement age and only worked because he wanted to. He was grandfathered into the CDT program and thought it was funny to jump around at the lab meetings, skip the class and was showing me how easy it was to sign the class conformation sheets ;-p He was a pain in the rear end but he taught me a lot , well I didn't copy the points above , lol, but he taught me how to handle most of the dog eat dog situations.... he did tell me a story about how he and a dentist got in a fist fight one time, I didn't copy that one either, lol.