Trouble with Ivoclar Acrylic

Luke

Luke

Reaction score
My lab began using the ivoclar injection system in Jan 17. We ran into the normal mistakes any tech does when learning a new system . Things really started to flow and come out clean after the staff was familiar with the process.

Until recently we have ran into tons of issues with the acrylic . I noticed it was after the color changed in the polymer they were sending. The capsules used to be a lot more pink and now they appear more white. Even when mixed. The final setup is the same as ever as far as color but with way more errors. Usually these errors are voids in the acrylic , random lines of miscolored or not properly cooked acrylic, and today I got my second case with a lot of porosity.

Wondering if others here have had these issues since the acrylic changed or if they could help me trouble shoot. I have refined all of our investing and processing techniques but we are still running into these same errors .

I believe it is something with this new acrylic mix but I am open to all suggestions. If anyone has some advice to save me, please let me know.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Do you have Ivobase or Ivocap? I use Ivocap and the acrylic is the same as it's always been.

katya

katya

Reaction score
I use Ivobase HighImpact. No problems yet...They sent me a letter saying something about changes in colors which should not concern me...Now it does----What did the tech support say?

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
My lab began using the ivoclar injection system in Jan 17. We ran into the normal mistakes any tech does when learning a new system . Things really started to flow and come out clean after the staff was familiar with the process.

Until recently we have ran into tons of issues with the acrylic . I noticed it was after the color changed in the polymer they were sending. The capsules used to be a lot more pink and now they appear more white. Even when mixed. The final setup is the same as ever as far as color but with way more errors. Usually these errors are voids in the acrylic , random lines of miscolored or not properly cooked acrylic, and today I got my second case with a lot of porosity.

Wondering if others here have had these issues since the acrylic changed or if they could help me trouble shoot. I have refined all of our investing and processing techniques but we are still running into these same errors .

I believe it is something with this new acrylic mix but I am open to all suggestions. If anyone has some advice to save me, please let me know.

Hi Luke,

I'm sorry you are running into this issue.

Yes, around the first of the year there was a change in the Ivobase High Impact materials. There were some difficulties getting some of the raw materials they had been using and had to optimize it using materials from other suppliers. This resulted in a change in the material when first mixed (it looked lighter and was thinner in consistency). All in-house tests showed that it worked the same as the previous formula and the color was the same after processing.

Unfortunately, after it got into the market it was discovered (from users) that it was more sensitive to variations in the flasking/injecting procedures. If everything is done perfectly, all is good. If separator is used incorrectly, or sprueing is not exact, or it is injected before the flask temperature is below 86F , then there can be issues.

We have listened to those who let us know about the issue. We are currently resourcing the original ingredients (and QC testing them) to get our manufacturing back on track. The original formulas should be back on the shelf shortly.

In the mean time, there are a few things you can do to help. First, give customer service a call and let them know you are having the issue. That way we have more documentation in the system for the future. Second, be sure to follow the Instructions for Use closely, this should make your issues better. If they don't I would suggest going to the Ivobase Hybrid material (which was not changed at all) until the Original Ivobase High Impact material is once again available.

I hope this helps.

Luke

Luke

Reaction score
Hi Luke,

I'm sorry you are running into this issue.

Yes, around the first of the year there was a change in the Ivobase High Impact materials. There were some difficulties getting some of the raw materials they had been using and had to optimize it using materials from other suppliers. This resulted in a change in the material when first mixed (it looked lighter and was thinner in consistency). All in-house tests showed that it worked the same as the previous formula and the color was the same after processing.

Unfortunately, after it got into the market it was discovered (from users) that it was more sensitive to variations in the flasking/injecting procedures. If everything is done perfectly, all is good. If separator is used incorrectly, or sprueing is not exact, or it is injected before the flask temperature is below 86F , then there can be issues.

We have listened to those who let us know about the issue. We are currently resourcing the original ingredients (and QC testing them) to get our manufacturing back on track. The original formulas should be back on the shelf shortly.

In the mean time, there are a few things you can do to help. First, give customer service a call and let them know you are having the issue. That way we have more documentation in the system for the future. Second, be sure to follow the Instructions for Use closely, this should make your issues better. If they don't I would suggest going to the Ivobase Hybrid material (which was not changed at all) until the Original Ivobase High Impact material is once again available.

I hope this helps.

Thank you!

Luke

Luke

Reaction score
I use Ivobase HighImpact. No problems yet...They sent me a letter saying something about changes in colors which should not concern me...Now it does----What did the tech support say?

This is my tech support haha

If it were up to me I’d use one of the other mentioned options of acrylic by Patrick but it is not my decision at the moment

It could be something with our technique. Hopefully they get the more user friendly material back soon

J

jeppe

Reaction score
I had these same issues and since using Hybrid is not an option (because it gets discolored quite fast and is not as durable) I finally decided to trash my Ivobase machine.

Now getting reliable results again, using traditional press technique ;)

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
I had these same issues and since using Hybrid is not an option (because it gets discolored quite fast and is not as durable) I finally decided to trash my Ivobase machine.

Now getting reliable results again, using traditional press technique ;)
If you're going to toss it, I'll take it off your hands.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
image.php

katya

katya

Reaction score
"Until recently we have ran into tons of issues with the acrylic"
I need to order more acryllic and wondering If you were able to fix the problems .If you did can you please give me some tips?
Thank you

J

jeppe

Reaction score
katya, you can read Patrick Coons instructions to avoid issues. I had issues no matter how closely I followed instructions and Ivoclar here in Europe claim that there is no issues with the material.

I got frustrated and changed away from Ivoclar.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
"Until recently we have ran into tons of issues with the acrylic"
I need to order more acryllic and wondering If you were able to fix the problems .If you did can you please give me some tips?
Thank you

According to our manufacturing folks in Lichtenstein, we have found suppliers for the original raw ingredients and are producing with those materials. Having said that they are not on the market yet. We are currently doing internal testing on these and should be releasing it for sale very soon.

As for tips, they are as before: follow the Instructions for use to the letter: ensure that your flasks are below 86F before injecting; try using our separator (over others that leave a thickness, as this can cause leaks).

I hope this helps and you will see the original formulations very soon.

katya

katya

Reaction score
According to our manufacturing folks in Lichtenstein, we have found suppliers for the original raw ingredients and are producing with those materials. Having said that they are not on the market yet. We are currently doing internal testing on these and should be releasing it for sale very soon.

As for tips, they are as before: follow the Instructions for use to the letter: ensure that your flasks are below 86F before injecting; try using our separator (over others that leave a thickness, as this can cause leaks).

I hope this helps and you will see the original formulations very soon.
Thank you,Pat!
I have ordered the box. If I have issues I will give a call.Tech support at Ivoclar are exceptionally good and knowledgeable.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Like I said in the above, the "New" original formulation is not released yet, so a box ordered today will be the same as you had in the last two months.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Alistar

Alistar

Reaction score
This was Ivobase High Impact today. Capsule popped. All directions followed to a T.

Denture was extremely light in color and had lots of porosity. Same happens with Hybrid.

We have had this system for about 2 months. Thinking of asking for a return on the acrylic and trying Ivocap...to see if it works.

Looking for any answers.
569a7ab4a6bd221bf94d98a3a78866d4.jpg
99c0af50b256df34b71264f9460dc8e0.jpg
7eee317dd58b12e5b10038a0963bb035.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk