Spindle Zenotec Wieland Mini

• Thread starter Delta Milling Center
  • Start date
D

Delta Milling Center

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought my mini in January 2017 and last week my spindle is not working more.
Guys do you have an idea what's the reason and why the spindle is dead in 9 months.
I mill wax, PMMA, Zirconia and PEEK.

Regards

WaxOnScanOff

WaxOnScanOff

Reaction score
Hi,

Guys do you have an idea what's the reason and why the spindle is dead in 9 months.

Regards

If you bought it in January of this year it should still be under warranty. Call up Ivoclar technical support and get a ticket going. They are a bit slow on the turnaround time so the sooner you get it started the quicker you'll get a replacement.

FYI: The spindle in our Mini went out after 19 months. I believe we had to spend somewhere close to $3k to replace it.

Last edited:
Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Hi,

Regards

May just be over worked, depending on your spindle hours. If bought new, it should be under warranty and you can talk to the folks at Ivoclar Troy [(888) 934-2336] to get it taken care of.

B

bigbrush

Reaction score
Are you sure that your air out of your compressor is in specs you need (oilfree waterfree)?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Are you sure that your air out of your compressor is in specs you need (oilfree waterfree)?

Good point. I'd also ask Ivoclar to get a hold of me, and let me know if they see any evidence of what may have caused
the short spindle life. I believe they re-build them, so they may see something during the re-build?

I still have the original spindle in mine which is almost 2 years old now. It was a demo Mini,
so I'm sure they did not put a new spindle in it when they shipped it out. Granted, I'm a 1 man
lab, and may not be doing the volume of most here, but I just thought I'd mention it.

D

Delta Milling Center

Reaction score
I'm waiting for the a new spindle (Free, under warranty). But it's weird that a spindle died after 9 month.
It's a new lab so the milling machine is not working full time.
For the air compressor we use Kaiser "Dental 5T Series" it's oilfree and waterfree.
Sometime I use not ivovlar mills. I use other brands mills. Do you think that mills can affect the spindle?

B

bigbrush

Reaction score
Do you also use an airdryer?
A friend of mine is uring a vhf S1, over 8000hr with first spindle.
Maybe yours is a bad monday one.

K

KIM

Reaction score
Do you also use an airdryer?
A friend of mine is uring a vhf S1, over 8000hr with first spindle.
Maybe yours is a bad monday one.
The VHF S1 runs a different spindle than his Mini, FYI. But you're right bigbrush, in addition to a good quality compressor, you need filters traps, air dryer and regular maintenance in emptying the compressor and traps of moisture before the mill. We sell the VHF line of mills and this is essential. Also, the blocking air at the spindle is very important to make sure the spindle isn't subjected to zr dust...Just a couple of thoughts from a knucklehead.....

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
For the air compressor we use Kaiser "Dental 5T Series" it's oilfree and waterfree.

No compressor is water free. You got a slight leak your will have moisture build up within the tank, do you have a air drier right before the mill(s)? Do you have a electronic timed dump valve on the bottom of the tank to release any moisture? Any moisture will drastically shorten the like of the spindle. Refrigerated drier would be the best something small right before the mills and a larger one right at the compressor as well.

We have a Atlas Copco GX4 Full Feature and I still see the tank release moisture, I also have a small granger drier 5ft before the mills and now getting these right at each mill.

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...ilter_-z-_Regulators_(AFR_Series)/AFR-3333-AD

Do you see your Zr powder stick to the disk, the tool shaft and disk holder? If so then you have moisture in the lines.

K

KIM

Reaction score
No compressor is water free. You got a slight leak your will have moisture build up within the tank, do you have a air drier right before the mill(s)? Do you have a electronic timed dump valve on the bottom of the tank to release any moisture? Any moisture will drastically shorten the like of the spindle. Refrigerated drier would be the best something small right before the mills and a larger one right at the compressor as well.

We have a Atlas Copco GX4 Full Feature and I still see the tank release moisture, I also have a small granger drier 5ft before the mills and now getting these right at each mill.

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...ilter_-z-_Regulators_(AFR_Series)/AFR-3333-AD

Do you see your Zr powder stick to the disk, the tool shaft and disk holder? If so then you have moisture in the lines.
All valid points Sevan, agree 100%. ;)

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score

Or check this one. Doesn't auto drain mean it drains on the floor below 5psi?

https://t.harborfreight.com/air-too...es/38-in-air-filter-with-regulator-68232.html

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
D

dentcre

Reaction score
over 2 years and thousands of zirconia mills on my mini,
no issues on spindle and have never even calibrate the mill,
i do use refrigerated air dryer, also an inline dryer and also an auto purge on the compressor tank every 20 min 2 seecond spit.

cnhart@me.com

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hi,

Regards

Peek and pmma are quite different to wax and zirconia
I think you will find you’ve had a good innings if you have been milling lots of these units as it puts quite a load on the spindle.
There’s a reason they refer to peek as the steel of plastics. It’s tough and whilst the burs may hold up it’s not a sign the machine is.