Tips and Tricks for your lab

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
Hey guys, after posting a picture of my grinding box in another thread, I thought I would like to share a few other things that I have picked up that might come in handy to make life easier and save a bit of money too. I'd like to hear what you guys have come up with too.

My grinding box. It's a suggestion/ballot box I picked up from eBay. I just cut a hole in the front for the suction and holes rectangular holes in the sides for my arms.
aimg.tapatalk.com_9587932e_d5c2_8b1f.jpg

Detol: I use this as a separating agent from my die stone to my base stone. Works really well and it's pretty cheap.
aimg.tapatalk.com_d31e0fbe_d33b_fbd4.jpg

I love this little gadget! Just run your investment packet through it and it cuts like butter. No need for scissors or running a scalpel blade along your work bench.
aimg.tapatalk.com_d31e0fbe_d48b_01ea.jpg

I cut slits in the carpet to run my cords. I hate cords everywhere it just looks messy and can get in the way and the pedals pretty much stay put. You can always put some velcro on the pedals so it will stick to the carpet.
aimg.tapatalk.com_9587932e_d54c_7c7e.jpg
aimg.tapatalk.com_9587932e_d5c2_8b1f.jpg aimg.tapatalk.com_d31e0fbe_d33b_fbd4.jpg aimg.tapatalk.com_d31e0fbe_d48b_01ea.jpg aimg.tapatalk.com_9587932e_d54c_7c7e.jpg

P

paulg100

Reaction score
love the tips, capet in a dental lab though = major dust magnet. id get that out if the opportunity arises.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
love the tips, capet in a dental lab though = major dust magnet. id get that out if the opportunity arises.

I'm only working by myself so the dust is minimal. The lab is in the basement of the house and it gets pretty cold!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Paul's from the UK...they use cobblestone.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I like carpet. Too noisy without it, and dropping any porcelain/Zirconia/models are not good on hard floor.

Never going back to uncarpeted floors.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
I like carpet. Too noisy without it, and dropping any porcelain/Zirconia/models are not good on hard floor.

Never going back to uncarpeted floors.

Exactly my thoughts too. I hate noise! I was even going to carpet the plaster room but then the thought of getting plaster out of carpet put me right off so now I just have a lyno Matt.

Here is my work grinding/waxing bench. I really wanted a separate waxing bench but room is limited so I've had to combine them. It's a bit of a mess now.

Notice there is no handpiece motor or highspeed machine

aimg.tapatalk.com_9587912e_4e83_7ffd.jpg

This is a cupboard that I have right next to my bench. All the pedal cords run under the carpet and into the cupboard. When the cupboard is closed, it cuts down the noise from the suction unit a fair bit but I'm going to put some dynamat material around the compartment and doors where the suction unit is to cut down the noise even more.

For those that don't know what dynamat is, it's what the car radio installers lay on the inside of doors and the boot/trunk of the car so it keeps the sound/music inside of the car and it stops the panels resonating. It's pretty expensive stuff but there are cheaper materials and alternatives like using egg cartons. aimg.tapatalk.com_9587915b_5092_5fb4.jpg
aimg.tapatalk.com_9587912e_4e83_7ffd.jpg aimg.tapatalk.com_9587915b_5092_5fb4.jpg

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
This is every techs best friend. Not only does it stick things together but it also hardens and seals stone really well. After I mark my margins with a wax pencil, I get an instrument and run it along the margin and then use the air gun to thin it out.

The best thing about it is that it is way more abrasive resistant than die hardener and you can steam clean it and the red pencil will still be there.

aimg.tapatalk.com_d31e0fbe_556e_e57e.jpg
aimg.tapatalk.com_9587916c_56b1_2ad9.jpg
aimg.tapatalk.com_d31e0fbe_556e_e57e.jpg aimg.tapatalk.com_9587916c_56b1_2ad9.jpg

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
I'm pre-super glue. Breaking a die or model before it was available was a big deal.

The first bottles were from the supply house, very expensive and we kept it in the frig and treated it with the reverence that its magic deserved. I can't begin to tell you about the dancing around the Bunsen burners that happened when the accelerator came out.

I used the less viscus (more like water) super glue to seal margins and put it on the die with a synthetic Q-tip. The stuff would start smoking and set up almost instantly on a cotton swab. Seems like I got it from my plastic articulator supplier.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Ouse this nail dryer to warm up partial frameworks or metal abutments before waxing to them. Also dries dies quickly without overheating die spacer. Heat plus air or just air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1344694401.228643.jpg

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Ouse this nail dryer to warm up partial frameworks or metal abutments before waxing to them. Also dries dies quickly without overheating die spacer. Heat plus air or just air.

Wasn't it Scott that said he used to sit on his dies to warm them up?

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score

Nice Trick there! I also find that if you heat up the die a little bit before dipping into the dipping wax, the wax doesn't pull back/shrink as much and its better adapted that dipping on a cold die.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
Here is an email website for those that don't have a website with a professional email address. I've been using mail.com as my normal email address but they have a lot of email addresses to pick from

The one that will interest some of you is "[email protected]" or "[email protected]"

They also own "lawyer.com" "consultant.com" etc and the best part about it is its...... "FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!"

Check it out at Get free Email accounts: Web based and secure Email - mail.com

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
for those in areas with basements (and operating the lab on the floor above)....try cutting a hole and dropping vacuum units and porcelain pumps down into the basement.....build a small frame on the floor beams and platform for them so they arent reaching all the way down to the floor of the basement. HUGE noise reduction, and keeps the dust at a min in the lab too.

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344883527.170840.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344883541.959251.jpg
For adjusting contacts I like to use a one sided diamond strip.
Here I've used a handle from a paint can,bent it like a recurve bow for tension and cut slots perpendicular to the strip.
Wrap diamond strip 1-1/2 times and you have a handy holder.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344883527.170840.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344883541.959251.jpg