Website Pics

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I want to take "professional" ....heh... looking pictures of some of my lab eqipment for my website..... Say my lathe. How would i go about taking a great picture of this? (Lighting, camera adjustments etc.....) Thanks

T

thewhitelab

Reaction score
Try to get in close, use shallow depth of field, try to keep background clutter free you don't want to distract from focal point.
Play around with all sorts of different types of lighting, angles, intensity etc.... like jorge said try using a tripod if you want your images to be ultra sharp especially if your experimenting with shutter speeds and lighting

Most of all just try to be creative! good luck

in this shot i used movement to add a little interest
DSC_0323.jpg

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score

I have a Nikon (husband's) tripod in the closet but have a Cannon digital camera..... I wonder if that would work, good idea.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Try to get in close, use shallow depth of field, try to keep background clutter free you don't want to distract from focal point.
Play around with all sorts of different types of lighting, angles, intensity etc.... like jorge said try using a tripod if you want your images to be ultra sharp especially if your experimenting with shutter speeds and lighting

That's the kind of photos I want! thank you.

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score

Nice clean fingernails and finger pads that aren't all knicked-up and blistered. I am very impressed (and feeling a little convicted)!! :)

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Nice clean fingernails and finger pads that aren't all knicked-up and blistered. I am very impressed (and feeling a little convicted)!! :)

I was going to go scrub down the old lathe and put a little turtle wax on it but wonder if that is going too far..... Maybe worn out wheels and a little pumice give a better impression (yes i think this stuff through THAT much:)
My hands don't look good under 9x magnification.... I think I have my work cut out for me.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
It's a staged photo..... Get someone with great looking hands to stand in for you, "a hand double", so to speak.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
It's a staged photo..... Get someone with great looking hands to stand in for you, "a hand double", so to speak.

That's a great idea. I'm going to try and find time to play around with this tomorrow and see what I can come up with (if the Nikon tripod won't work with my camera, would a table and phone books make a decent stand-in?)

J

Jorge

Reaction score
I think camera thread socket is standard, 1/4"
Put camera in Manual or Tv mode and try different speeds so the wheel movement is shown or not then choose the one is best for you.
To stop movement you can also use flash (usually 1/1000 second) or use a high shutter speed.
For static subjects you can use whatever light source you like and long exposure time if needed (using tripod)
When using slow speeds use a cable release or use the self portrait option so camera shake stops before the picture is taken.

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
So Michelle, how did your images turn out? What kinds of obstacles did you encounter? What questions did the experience bring to mind?

I would have jumped in with some advice but i was waiting to know which camera you were using, what lenses you have, what kinds of lighting did you plan to use. That sort of thing. There are a lot of ways to use what you have creatively to get some pretty amazing shots you wouldn't think you could get with just a few pieces of gear. Probably by now, you found that tripod mounts are universal until you start adding expensive plates and ball heads.
So if you still want to get your feet wet or try some different ideas, post up some results or some questions concerning the gear you have.

Top Bottom