Pro and Con: Cold & Thermoplastic Polymerization

T

TECHARTISAN

Reaction score
The only company I can think of that has a true THERMOPLASTIC denture system using a PMMA polymer base is Bredent.

Looking around for alternative thermoplastic PMMA I discovered that Perflex has a PMMA material, "acry free", for their injection system. So there is more than one.

Their injector the "smart 101" looks just like the Tecnodent microjector m3....which I find VERY interesting as Bredent's injector, which does seem to have a more advanced controller, costs $6300....I havent found a price for Perflex's smart 101.....but the tecnodent m3 can be found for $1200-1400.

I have to do a bit more research first but I think I know what Im asking Santa for this year :)

Last edited:
drm313mac

drm313mac

Reaction score
TechArtisan,

I believe you are correct, these two look almost exact replicas. They also seem to do the same that Bredent does, or the Flexite machine for that matter, and yes, I get the impression the Bredent machine is more advanced in some respects.

Another alternative I have found is the Handler 2010DCU-E Multi-Stage, Digital Curing and Boil Out Unit, 8 flasks. It is a 3-stage unit, each stage programmable from 0 to 999 minutes, from 320 degrees F to 2100 degrees F (O Celcius to 990 Celcius). It runs on 230 V, 50/60 Hz, 6A, or 115 V, 50/60 Hz, 13A. It sells for $2,480.50 at KAB. Just like the Bredent, it polymerizes all acrylics.

Thanks

T

TECHARTISAN

Reaction score
TechArtisan,

I believe you are correct, these two look almost exact replicas. They also seem to do the same that Bredent does, or the Flexite machine for that matter, and yes, I get the impression the Bredent machine is more advanced in some respects.

Flexite's model f3 is manufactured by Tecnodent. I am unsure if the 3, flexite f3, tecnodent m3 and "smart 101" are identical in their specifications....but Im sure I could modify the cheapest of them to operate at the same functionality of the most expensive if not.

Bredent's machine appears to be designed with a bit higher end automation and control....and is probably well worth its higher price...but I would have trouble justifying it if the tecnodent can handle the material...5 machines for the price of 1 just sounds like greater productivity from where I sit.

Another alternative I have found is the Handler 2010DCU-E Multi-Stage, Digital Curing and Boil Out Unit, 8 flasks. It is a 3-stage unit, each stage programmable from 0 to 999 minutes, from 320 degrees F to 2100 degrees F (O Celcius to 990 Celcius). It runs on 230 V, 50/60 Hz, 6A, or 115 V, 50/60 Hz, 13A. It sells for $2,480.50 at KAB. Just like the Bredent, it polymerizes all acrylics.

Bredent melts and injects but it does not polymerize any acrylics...it is a thermoplastic injection molding system

The handler dcu is a dual function boil out, curing unit.....a super fancy crockpot big enough to put 8 flasks in.

Apples and softballs.

Last edited:
drm313mac

drm313mac

Reaction score
Bredent melts and injects but it does not polymerize any acrylics...it is a thermoplastic injection molding system
What then is the difference between the Bredent and say the tcs which melts and injects, or the FlexiPress, or the Nevin Injection system? If this is all they do, then the only difference I see is the Bredent can achieve a much higher temperature of the acrylic prior to injection, and as you said, one can modify say the tcs to achieve the same temperatures.
Correct, or I am still off in left field?

T

TECHARTISAN

Reaction score
What then is the difference between the Bredent and say the tcs which melts and injects, or the FlexiPress, or the Nevin Injection system? If this is all they do, then the only difference I see is the Bredent can achieve a much higher temperature of the acrylic prior to injection, and as you said, one can modify say the tcs to achieve the same temperatures.
Correct, or I am still off in left field?

I have only seen boilout/curing tanks like the handler model you mentioned from Nevin, in doing a quick websearch I couldnt find an injection system under their name to evaluate the similarity.

The significant potential difference between the various thermoplastic injection systems is the temperature and the pressure at which they operate. This would cover Valplast, tcs, perflex, tecnodent, flexite, flexpress and likely a few others we have not yet brought into this discussion. It seems that bre.crystal, flexite mp, Acry free.....all PMMA based thermoplastics....should be processable by any of these units provided they either can reach or can be modified to reach sufficient temperature to melt and pressure to properly form.

Last edited:
Top Bottom