A good place to start!

JonB

JonB

Reaction score

Intra-Oral and Dental Photography

So, it looks like we've been given our own official main topic with the ability to make new threads under this banner - how cool is that?

If it would be possible - lets try to make this the focal point for fielding questions and maybe if we could move the "Dental Photography " thread under this banner we'll have it all under one roof so to speak. I just saw this so I'll not post to any other thread so as to make it easier as well.

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
Basic Settings

For all camera brands, the same basic settings can be used to ensure a good starting point and to have solid, well exposed intra-oral photos.

Set your cameras to the following settings:

Aperture priority

with an aperture of ƒ 22 or higher for all shots inside the mouth (intra-oral)
ƒ 4.0 to 5.6 for all full face shots

ISO 200

Be sure your flash is set for TTL (Nikon) or ETTL (Canon).

Do not worry about the shutter speed - if your camera is actually on Aperture priority - the camera will set the shutter for you.

If you know what it is - leave your "Exposure Compensation" dial set to the middle of the scale.

For now, do not change the output of your flash head - let it work at the basic -out-of-the-box- settings.

Set your camera to the flash symbol or the Average White Balance setting for white balance.

Go forth and burn pixels and then lets talk about the results!

D

Dr Jizzler

Reaction score
Could you recommend a good starter camera for complete novices that wont cost the earth. ?

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
Rather than spend a lot of money on a "new" camera, consider buying a good quality older camera. KEH.com will sell you a good quality used Canon 20D EX+ condition for 285.00 today (just checked their site). You could spend $1000.00 or more for a Rebel or a new 60D, but the 20D will do everything you want to do with it just fine - from intra-orals to weddings if you want to.

Use the money you save on the body to buy the 100mm macro version 1 ($415.00 used in EX condition) , and a Canon Macro ring light LN- $484.00. (which you will need anyway) You won't get a better setup than that for as little money... that works! KEH rates their equipment better than anyone in the business so you're safe with those ratings. ..and like i said I just went to KEH.com and did the search and all of that is there right now. They sell stuff pretty quickly though so if you want it - better buy it now.

I know - i know - that sounds like its costing you the earth - but in reality its a bargain for what you get. There are all sorts of compromise cameras out there but in the long run you'll be throwing good money after bad. The "dental" photography suppliers have figured out how to extract as much from you as they can on cheap crap and workarounds - or soak you (over $5000.00) for a similar setup on a 60D. All in the name of "post sales service". Save your money - buy a book. Its just that easy! Plus you have the forum to rely upon to help you get started.

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind about buying a camera. The Pros do this all the time. Think that the body is the most disposable thing you are buying. Pros buy the newest body that Canon or Nikon sells - just as soon as they are available. They have to to keep up with the competitive market that they are involved in. When you shoot at a day rate of 5000.00 to 10,000.00 a day, like some of my friends do - you don't quibble over the cost of replacing a couple three 2 year old bodies with three new $5000.00 bodies.

What does that mean for everyone else (those who aren't getting 5 grand + a day) You can snap up their fairly unused 2 year old bodies fairly cheaply.

What does this mean for the dental lab or dentist that wants to buy a "new" camera - same thing. Don't spend $5000.00 when you can do the job with a used camera in great condition that will do the job you need it to do!

Right now I have only three bodies. At one time I had five. A 10D, 20D, 5D Mark II, 1D Mark III and a 1DMark IV.
I just sold the 10D to an employee and she loves it! It works great for her family use.
I sold my pro 1D Mark III to a sales rep at the camera store where I bought the 1D Mark IV. He loves it too!
I shoot all my dental work with the 20D and it is perfect for that purpose.
I shoot the 5DMark II for landscapes and architectures as well as high quality portraits as it is 21 megapixels and full frame. I also use it for high def video.
The 1DMark IV is also video capable but is primarily for high speed action shots like sports, aviation or motorsports.
At one time I shot four images of the same mouth - the only change was the camera bodies. I used the same lens and flash on each one. I composited each image and printed them to one 20x30 poster sized print.

No one could tell me which camera did the best job or which image was shot by the 8 megapixel body and which was shot by the 21 megapixel body.

Its not often you will have to blow a mouth up much larger than that! Even in a powerpoint presentation, no one is going to be pixel peeping your images.

So use common sense - spend only what you have to and not a penny more.

hope this helps!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I've been so busy that I haven't had time to post however I wanted to say thankyou for this info.

I'm at the point where I can pick up my camera and take an intraoral shot quickly if needed.

I now have to get my drs on board.

D

Dr Jizzler

Reaction score
great reply thanks going to get on there now snap up a bargain thanks again JonB

M

maxi

Reaction score
I want to start taking pics of my work, is the Nikkon D3100 a good camera to start with

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
Yes Maxi - it will be fine. You will need to invest in a macro lens and a compatible ring flash. The lens it comes with in the kit and the pop-up flash is not adequate for the task. Any questions or help - please feel free to ask!

M

maxi

Reaction score
Yes Maxi - it will be fine. You will need to invest in a macro lens and a compatible ring flash. The lens it comes with in the kit and the pop-up flash is not adequate for the task. Any questions or help - please feel free to ask!

Thank you Jon. Is it better to go for the ring flash or the dual flash. I have been reading alot about it on the forum and you guys are pretty much divided about the flashes .

Maxi

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
I have both and will tell you it depends on whether you will be shooting more intra-orally or on the bench. Either will work better than any other type of flash - but i find the twin light more suited for shooting labwork on the bench. There is only so much a twin light can do intra-orally where a nice even amount of light is best. Twin lights are harder to control the specular highlights on perpendicular tooth surfaces too unless you use special flash arms to mount them on where you can get them off axis.

Harleyboy

Harleyboy

Reaction score
can't find a Canon 20D on KEH.com

Hi JonB,

Should I wait to see if one becomes available or go to another model. What do you recommend?

Rather than spend a lot of money on a "new" camera, consider buying a good quality older camera. KEH.com will sell you a good quality used Canon 20D EX+ condition for 285.00 today (just checked their site). You could spend $1000.00 or more for a Rebel or a new 60D, but the 20D will do everything you want to do with it just fine - from intra-orals to weddings if you want to.

Use the money you save on the body to buy the 100mm macro version 1 ($415.00 used in EX condition) , and a Canon Macro ring light LN- $484.00. (which you will need anyway) You won't get a better setup than that for as little money... that works! KEH rates their equipment better than anyone in the business so you're safe with those ratings. ..and like i said I just went to KEH.com and did the search and all of that is there right now. They sell stuff pretty quickly though so if you want it - better buy it now.

I know - i know - that sounds like its costing you the earth - but in reality its a bargain for what you get. There are all sorts of compromise cameras out there but in the long run you'll be throwing good money after bad. The "dental" photography suppliers have figured out how to extract as much from you as they can on cheap crap and workarounds - or soak you (over $5000.00) for a similar setup on a 60D. All in the name of "post sales service". Save your money - buy a book. Its just that easy! Plus you have the forum to rely upon to help you get started.

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
I recommend the 20D only because it is adequate and usually inexpensive to purchase. It more than fills the bill for intra-oral work. That said, if you can find a 30D, 40D, or 50D and don't mind spending the extra money - those will work just fine as well.
I don't even mind using the 10D if good quality and cheap are the defining reasons to buy. I used mine with no problems before buying the 20D. In fact I have a 5D Mark II and a 1D Mark IV that are so far out in front of the 10D and 20D that its not even funny - but i prefer to use either the 10D or 20D for intra-orals. (mostly weight issues with the bigger bodies... it gets really heavy standing over a patient and dropping one isn't an option)

L

lolia

Reaction score
Good evening..
I have Nikon D7000 with R1 and Nikkor 105 micro lens... and I have aquestion plz
I want to study the marginal leakage under composite fillings on extracted teeth... what settings I have to do it to get very clear pictres?
thanks in advance

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Lolia,

I have a similar setup to yours, without using a bellows, or microscope, you may be a bit pressed to get the magnification you are looking for. You will get 1:1 with the macro lens. Your best bet is to shoot your files in RAW format, and blow them up on your monitor. Keep your f stop at 22 or smaller, and use a tripod for the slower shutter speeds.

Last edited:
Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
Good evening..
I have Nikon D7000 with R1 and Nikkor 105 micro lens... and I have aquestion plz
I want to study the marginal leakage under composite fillings on extracted teeth... what settings I have to do it to get very clear pictres?
thanks in advance

*set the camera to Aperature Priority
*turn off any auto-focus
*ISO 200
*focal distance 1:1.15 very close up
*f-stop 45-51

L

lolia

Reaction score
thank you PCDL and Bobby.... Iwill take your advice and tell you the results

thanks alot

R

Randy Hill PhD

Reaction score
JonB,

I have 3 old SLR fillm based cameras. One is the old Lester Dine zx50 Pentax model with a lester Dine 105mm lens with ring flash and the offset flash. The second one is a Canon Elan with a 100mm Macro zoom lense with the Canon Ring flash. The last one is a dinosaur Minolta XG 1 with a multitude of lenses, filters, etc. I talked with a local camera shop in an attempt to parlay all three of these into a nice digital setup with a macro zoom lense and ring flash. They all said the bodies were not worth much at all, but maybe I could find something to use the lenses and ring flash with. I want to be able to shoot some of my work, and also, since I'm a pilot, I want to get a good camera for shooting from the plane during flight.

What, in your opinion would be the best set-up for this. I enjoyed the post above, and thanks in advance for your response

Last edited:
R

Randy Hill PhD

Reaction score
I'm trying to get into this century, and looking to have fun with the aerial photography.