Gloss denture intaglio?

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
Hey guys, the doc I work for asked about some sort of gloss for the intaglio of dentures so they aren't rough/matte. I told him that polishing inside the denture wasn't an option as it can very easily harm the fit, and I didn't think there was any reason for intaglio to be glossy. None the less I figured I'd inquire with you guys for some thoughts. Do any of you do this? If so what product do you use?

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Hey guys, the doc I work for asked about some sort of gloss for the intaglio of dentures so they aren't rough/matte. I told him that polishing inside the denture wasn't an option as it can very easily harm the fit, and I didn't think there was any reason for intaglio to be glossy. None the less I figured I'd inquire with you guys for some thoughts. Do any of you do this? If so what product do you use?
You're absolutely right, if you polish the inside of a denture you WILL affect the fit. I've seen a few cases where someone has used something on the lines of Palaseal. Over time it flakes off. There's no need to do anything to the inside except to make sure there aren't any sharp spots. A good way to check for those is a trick that Tom Z posted a long time ago. Rub a cotton ball or a q-tip inside the denture, if it catches anywhere, smooth it in that spot.

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
You're absolutely right, if you polish the inside of a denture you WILL affect the fit. I've seen a few cases where someone has used something on the lines of Palaseal. Over time it flakes off. There's no need to do anything to the inside except to make sure there aren't any sharp spots. A good way to check for those is a trick that Tom Z posted a long time ago. Rub a cotton ball or a q-tip inside the denture, if it catches anywhere, smooth it in that spot.
Thank you, I've been making dentures for over a decade now and everyone I've ever worked with/learned from has told me the same.

I like the cotton ball trick though, I'm going to start using that.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
And for crown and bridge, I tend to run my finger over a unit or bridge, and if I feel a sharp spot and am not sure of exactly where it is, I'll take a piece of articulating film and run it over that area and it will show up as red (or black) spot.

Rtyrelw

Rtyrelw

Reaction score
Not for existing dentures but for dentures you're making you can use an extra coat or two of separating fluid when you're putting it on. That tends to make a nice glaze glossy finish on the inside but man some people just want and want and want haha

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Correct, not an option.
There is no product.
Sounds like you've run into the smartest dentist in history, that thinks he was the only one who ever thought up a brilliant idea that a shiny, smooth intaglio would look nice and fit better.

Last edited:
JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
The dentist may be used to looking at a Ivocap/Base denture then. Those come out almost shiny on intaglio.

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
The dentist may be used to looking at a Ivocap/Base denture then. Those come out almost shiny on intaglio.
I do process in ivobase and they come out shinier than hand packed. I just explained to him that they don't get glossier than that.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Save the cotton balls and drop some monimor rub it with your finger and let it dry. It comes out shiny. Tell that to Zelensky.😂

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Save the cotton balls and drop some monimor rub it with your finger and let it dry. It comes out shiny. Tell that to Zelensky.😂
Wink Zelensky GIF by Formula - ფორმულა

So that's why they call you FASTFNGER.

Last edited:
A

Aditia KT

Reaction score
Take a look on this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221121-102447_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20221121-102447_eBay.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 21
model guy

model guy

Donator
Reaction score
I’ve had some doctors that swear on Kulzer’s Palaseal. It’s painted on and light cured. I think it may be the predecessor to GC’s optiglaze?

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Palaseal is good. Good to have a bottle of around just for auxiliary... Similar to optiglaze accept it has a built-in primer.

However glazing a denture is a bad idea. Not only is it expensive, it'll have other side effects down the road like staining.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Rub on some baby oil, will make everything look shiny

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Rub on some baby oil, will make everything look shiny
They used to rub mineral oil on the teeth in the old days to cover interproximal imperfections.... Until mylar water bags.

Last edited:
F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
I mentioned that before, after you make sure it is smooth use some cold cure monemor and rub it with you finger and let it dry.