Inaccurate 3d printed implant models , please help !!!

J

Johann

Reaction score
Inaccurate implant 3d printed models
Please help an almost desperate technician
I am printing implant models for intra oral scans from iTero , Omnicam , Blue cam and Trios scanners

All of a sudden I am getting open contacts ( usually only on the one contact) in the mouth. On the models the contacts are perfect .
I am sending out the stl files to a lab that does the conversion of the scans to a printable model ( they use exocad)
I then put the digital lab analogues into the printed models and use the tibase scanned method to do the crows.

I am using Asiga UV Max and Phrozen Sonic mini printers and both printers show up with the same problem.

What do the gurus say can I do to solve this problem once and for all

I am so desperate, I am even putting my email address on here if you could be so kind to assist me.
[email protected]

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
Have you scanned the printed models and compared to intraoral scans?

J

Johann

Reaction score
Have you scanned the printed models and compared to intraoral scans?
Yes I have
The printed model is at most 0,3mm bigger than the original scan if overlaid.
This tells me that the crown should fit tight in the mouth and not have an open mesial contact

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Inaccurate implant 3d printed models
Please help an almost desperate technician
I am printing implant models for intra oral scans from iTero , Omnicam , Blue cam and Trios scanners

All of a sudden I am getting open contacts ( usually only on the one contact) in the mouth. On the models the contacts are perfect .
I am sending out the stl files to a lab that does the conversion of the scans to a printable model ( they use exocad)
I then put the digital lab analogues into the printed models and use the tibase scanned method to do the crows.

I am using Asiga UV Max and Phrozen Sonic mini printers and both printers show up with the same problem.

What do the gurus say can I do to solve this problem once and for all

I am so desperate, I am even putting my email address on here if you could be so kind to assist me.
[email protected]
If I understand you correctly, you are printing a model and then rescanning the case for the crown/abutment? The best way to handle these cases is to design everything at once. They will be much more accurate. You are working off a copy of the original scan by doing it the way you are right now. This can work, but it adds in excess error.

In order to solve your issue, my first step would be to call your tech support for you printer. I would calibrate the printers and have tech support look at your settings to make sure nothing is off.

J

Johann

Reaction score
If I understand you correctly, you are printing a model and then rescanning the case for the crown/abutment? The best way to handle these cases is to design everything at once. They will be much more accurate. You are working off a copy of the original scan by doing it the way you are right now. This can work, but it adds in excess error.

In order to solve your issue, my first step would be to call your tech support for you printer. I would calibrate the printers and have tech support look at your settings to make sure nothing is off.
Thank you very much , I appreciate your time

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
I would also ensure that there is no compression or expansion happening in the nesting software as I know for the Asiga especially you can increase the size with a simple keybind and drag, so make sure models being imported aren't compensating for material expansion when you don't want or if they are being resized at all.

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
There are a few of things that could be happening.

Calibrate the printer
Check your exposure settings using a test print
Make sure to always mix the resin before printing
When washing the models they are sitting too long in the alcohol. 5-7 minutes max
The models are either being cured too long or not long enough in the curing box

F

frontier

Reaction score
Had the same issue before.
As @Toothman19 mentioned it, recalibrating your 3d printer should be the best move.
For us, it was the calibration issue. Simple calibration using the software didn't work, so we had to call up Tech support for the printer and readjusted the settings.

GG - J

GG - J

Reaction score
hi guys been a rough week

all of a sudden my printed models are smaller in size than the stone model they are scanned from

printer and scanner both recalibrated with in the last week

please see picture

1668110791656.png

Last edited:
Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
hi guys been a rough week

all of a sudden my printed models are smaller in size than the stone model they are scanned from

printer and scanner both recalibrated with in the last week

please see picture

View attachment 41834
On the Asiga you can easily 'scale' the printout. I don't think calibration would detect it. When nesting the stl's, and when you click through the different steps, one of them is the scaling. make sure your scale ratio is 1:1. Does this this makes sense?

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
resized/ rescaled in Alpha 3D? it isn't calibration
Hitting the scale tab up top in Alpha is the only way to do/change.. this... can not change. no reason to hit the tab

also, are you dragging to the site upload, upload thru Exo? thumb drive?

Last edited:
bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Scale is correct. You can calibrate your scanner, and you can calibrate your printer for accuracy of the machines.

But you must collate (compare and adjust) the output to the input. The input is fixed, so you must figure out the scale of the x, y, z to be as close to scanned as possible.

Find an artifact stl like a cube to print. Adjust as necessary.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I was looking over the calibration log that came with my envisiontec perfactory, they calibrated it every 2 days on average. Different procedure than printing a cube but this machine was from a major milling center.

GG - J

GG - J

Reaction score
On the Asiga you can easily 'scale' the printout. I don't think calibration would detect it. When nesting the stl's, and when you click through the different steps, one of them is the scaling. make sure your scale ratio is 1:1. Does this this makes sense?
yes makes sense

thanks

D

DIMADEL

Reaction score
Hi , this is dr delgado, try to use prhozen mini , and chitubox is a very good 3d printing program I can send you the parameters. Work on, but you have to see the specs from your resin , the wave length and time of polymerization layer . This matter

D

DIMADEL

Reaction score
Probably is not the scale is the resin parameters