Door to door sales strategy and tips needed

The Veneer Guy

The Veneer Guy

Reaction score
Hello all! I’m trying to scale my business so it’s time to go out there and beat the pavement. However, I’m finding it difficult to get through the front desk guards to get the meeting with the Dr or Om. I don’t want to seem like a pushy sales guy but my time is precious and gas is 6 bucks here in LA. I feel like I’m spinning my wheels just leaving my card and following up with fee schedule and brochures after. And I not being aggressive enough at first contact? Do any of you all have a proven process at first contact? Especially in metropolitan areas where front office responses may be a bit different. I’d love to hear from you about your successes and failures From door to door sales.
Thank you much in advance for any input!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Hello all! I’m trying to scale my business so it’s time to go out there and beat the pavement. However, I’m finding it difficult to get through the front desk guards to get the meeting with the Dr or Om. I don’t want to seem like a pushy sales guy but my time is precious and gas is 6 bucks here in LA. I feel like I’m spinning my wheels just leaving my card and following up with fee schedule and brochures after. And I not being aggressive enough at first contact? Do any of you all have a proven process at first contact? Especially in metropolitan areas where front office responses may be a bit different. I’d love to hear from you about your successes and failures From door to door sales.
Thank you much in advance for any input!
Invest in an IOS and offer a scanning service. While the other reps are sitting in the waiting room, you’ll be standing chairside.
I have a proven track record that sets me apart from every one else.

The Veneer Guy

The Veneer Guy

Reaction score
Invest in an IOS and offer a scanning service. While the other reps are sitting in the waiting room, you’ll be standing chairside.
I have a proven track record that sets me apart from every one else.
That’s a great idea. However I’m a one man lab right now so I have to be back in my lab to actually do the work and other work also. But I could see how that’s super beneficial for bigger cases and such. I wouldn’t mind taking the day off for a 10 unit veneer case + in-office fee;) just have to schedule it properly. I’ll look into it! Thank you!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
That’s a great idea. However I’m a one man lab right now so I have to be back in my lab to actually do the work and other work also. But I could see how that’s super beneficial for bigger cases and such. I wouldn’t mind taking the day off for a 10 unit veneer case + in-office fee;) just have to schedule it properly. I’ll look into it! Thank you!
I'm a 2 person lab and a scan takes I hour which is the same amount of time I used to spend in the model room.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Start with reading the E-myth, and add Guerilla Marketing for dessert. I can tell you havent read it by your strategy. Some people think sales is like fishing, you chum the water with your biz card, and it drifts to the bottom after a couple glances. Actually gaining a long term client is more like GPS located sharks with friggin lasers on their heads. When you have confidence in your strategy and a precise weapon, like RKM said, you have to stand out and be willing to do something different, and you have to be willing to admit that sales is a different job than dental technology.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I've probably said this before but look at what everyone else is doing and do the opposite.
I think you already have your niche.
You're the veneer guy. I like that.
One thing I've learned about dentists. They are good at remembering names.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
24F6BD94-FCAB-49EF-84C5-E514F2DD689E.jpeg
As an example.. this is the e myth mastery book but the intro is a must read if you want to be an entrepreneur. Cold calling door to door sales is probably the hardest way to get a good dentist client, or the easiest way to get a bad one.

Where is your portfolio? It’s the calling card of any good artist or salesman. Do you have it on an iPad when you walk in? Do you go in empty handed or with chocolate? What color shirt do you wear? Lots of variables play a role in closing a sale.

The Veneer Guy

The Veneer Guy

Reaction score
Start with reading the E-myth, and add Guerilla Marketing for dessert. I can tell you havent read it by your strategy. Some people think sales is like fishing, you chum the water with your biz card, and it drifts to the bottom after a couple glances. Actually gaining a long term client is more like GPS located sharks with friggin lasers on their heads. When you have confidence in your strategy and a precise weapon, like RKM said, you have to stand out and be willing to do something different, and you have to be willing to admit that sales is a different job than dental technology.
I did read the e-myth. Great book, however I don’t remember the chapter on d2d sales. Gonna have to reread it for sure!

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
In this area there is a lot of movement in staff from office to office and those contacts can be a huge asset, most of my accounts have come from those connections. Front desk people and assistants can get your foot in the door but you have to offer something to dentists that they aren’t now getting.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I moved my lab across the country because of a letter dropped off at an office. I shouldnt say d2d doesnt work, but it takes a year at least unless youre lucky, many follow ups. A business card dropped off only shows youre willing to do the least amount of work possible to get their business. Youre competition has already talked to the Dr 5x with a full marketing team behind him, and add the fact that most Drs stay loyal to a good lab.. The girls in my offices give me all the promotional stuff that gets dropped off, so I know who is coming around. If youre on your competitors radar, believe that they will step it up when they know youre trying to take their meal ticket.
So what is your strategy? Or you want us to tell you how to take our accounts?

The Veneer Guy

The Veneer Guy

Reaction score
Thanks for the good points and the tough love. Gotta embrace the “suck”:)

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Sales is not for the faint hearted. I imagine any office in SoCal gets bombarded with all kinds of solicitation on the daily, so dont get swatted like a fly, be the flyswatter.

The Veneer Guy

The Veneer Guy

Reaction score
View attachment 41596
As an example.. this is the e myth mastery book but the intro is a must read if you want to be an entrepreneur. Cold calling door to door sales is probably the hardest way to get a good dentist client, or the easiest way to get a bad one.

Where is your portfolio? It’s the calling card of any good artist or salesman. Do you have it on an iPad when you walk in? Do you go in empty handed or with chocolate? What color shirt do you wear? Lots of variables play a role in closing a sale.
thank you so much! will do!, I have my gallery om my website of my work but yeah you're right. I should just show it when I show up. In my travels I've noticed lots of office managers double as front desk people. visited almost 70 offices in the last two days so I'm definitely learning quite a bit out in the field. I heard on some podcasts, which I listen to in the car during the travels ,that it does take a yr or so of at least 8 hrs/day to get any good at d2d. I'm sure the confidence and ease will come with practice, especially with all the good advice from you all:) Many thanks!!!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
There’s also an ex Canuck on here that moved to Mexico.
He went after the whole enchilada.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I just took a look at your site, its nice, with your credentials and level of work, you shouldnt be going door to door, in my opinion.. youre casting too broad of a net. To me, your time would be better served marketing online, building a brand, seeking out the clients that are seeking you out. Your site has dead links to FB and IG, if you really want to find new clients in todays market, you have to cover all your bases. If you really want to go to the next level and add clients, not just because its slow, you should maybe hire a consultant and make a focused plan.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
How about a comic book hero.?
Veneer Man.
A mild mannered dental tech by day,
A super hero with a powerful smile that blinds the evil bad guy called ....wait for it.....The Bruxer. Leader of the Dark Triangle
His love interest is named Peggy Lateral and his sidekick K9

The Veneer Guy

The Veneer Guy

Reaction score
I just took a look at your site, its nice, with your credentials and level of work, you shouldnt be going door to door, in my opinion.. youre casting too broad of a net. To me, your time would be better served marketing online, building a brand, seeking out the clients that are seeking you out. Your site has dead links to FB and IG, if you really want to find new clients in todays market, you have to cover all your bases. If you really want to go to the next level and add clients, not just because its slow, you should maybe hire a consultant and make a focused plan.
Thank you for your input. The website has been corrected:)

subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
View attachment 41596

which version is this, first book or the second? Look at the backside of the book cover. There is a quote from a dental lab owner. It was my boss. He lived that book!

Top Bottom