Separator suggestions for 3D printed models?

S

SkullFire

Reaction score
Hello,

We am looking for some suggestion on a separator that works on 3D printed models. We fabricate all types of acrylic based appliances retainers, splints, and appliances with labial bow acrylic and are having major issues removing the appliances from the models. I have tried vaseline, regular separator, water glass. Sometimes it works but with a major struggle and other times it is a disaster. Can anyone please give me some ideas, tips any information on what they use with consistent results.

Thank you!

Cleo

Cleo

Reaction score
We do a ton of flippers on printed models. We just use vasaline. We rub it in good and remove excess and it works great

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Hello,

We am looking for some suggestion on a separator that works on 3D printed models. We fabricate all types of acrylic based appliances retainers, splints, and appliances with labial bow acrylic and are having major issues removing the appliances from the models. I have tried vaseline, regular separator, water glass. Sometimes it works but with a major struggle and other times it is a disaster. Can anyone please give me some ideas, tips any information on what they use with consistent results.

Thank you!
Ive never tried it but just might work.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you!
Make a stone duplicate model and process on that.

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
I once heard that packing a denture with a 3D printed model was a disaster. If I recall it was something about fusing together and impossible to separate as it does not break off like stone with a chisel. I’ve avoided packing or any type of processing with 3D models because of this. Is it ok?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I would suggest a mandatory material science course for anyone wanting to be a technician. This is painful to read.
I am glad to know the chemical reaction sequence that occurs between water and calcium sulfide hemihydrate.

He is just doing flippers and appliances. If its blocked out there should be something able to prevent the bonding. Stone duping a 3d print right now is the safest way to go, but duping is a hassle especially without a hydrocolloid machine.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
I am glad to know the chemical reaction sequence that occurs between water and calcium sulfide hemihydrate.

He is just doing flippers and appliances. If its blocked out there should be something able to prevent the bonding. Stone duping a 3d print right now is the safest way to go, but duping is a hassle especially without a hydrocolloid machine.
The easiest way is to microwave the hydrocolloid, but it's hard to control the temperature.
When I was between machines I just used a pan on a hot plate so I had it at the correct temp. Easy peasy!