Denture Base Resins and Teeth

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
The problem is every denture is going to need an adjustment. And as soon as they make that adjustment they're going to chalk it up. Offices aren't going to carry a $300 bottle of resin to touch it up. They won't even carry a $50 self-cure kit in date.

Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
Lucitone print doesn’t seem to be any more fragile than a heat cure acrylic denture. It polishes exactly the same. The material seems hard enough to have good wear resistance, but only time will tell The coating trick/glaze is necessary for other print resins but the lucitone materials have a specific sealant that acts similar. From what I can tell it reduces the need to polish the more detailed areas like tooth sulcus gingival margins

Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
Adjustments to the denture can be polished as normal but if you make excessive occlusion adjustments you might want to reapply the sealer when you are finished.

Datguypeter

Datguypeter

Reaction score
Adjustments to the denture can be polished as normal but if you make excessive occlusion adjustments you might want to reapply the sealer when you are finished.
That I didnt know. Is the sealer expensive? How is it applied?

Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
That I didnt know. Is the sealer expensive? How is it applied?
$35 cdn
One arch uses about 6-8 drops and spread it around with a small flocked applicator and then light cure.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Denture base and teeth resins are growing at a fast pace compared to the early days of Denca and NextDent. As someone who has a non-dental printer but also can use validated dental resins for that printer, I find myself researching different resins more often.
In the early days the company you bought your printer from most likely had their own resins in a closed system. Then Asiga changed the game with a completely open system. With so many new resins out there now I’m curious for those using denture and teeth resins that are not that well know. For example came across a dental resin from Power Resins that offers a flexible denture base (nothing like Valplast). Others like Dreve’s Fotodent and Saremco (not the greatest strength) are not to often advertised.
Curious as to anyone who is not using a closed systems resins or the more popular ones like Lucitone or Nextdent. Thanks in advanced.
All I can say is that the removable industry especially denture is going cheap with printed denture. (Chinese quality in the US) I am not sure why anyone want to print a cheap denture when a patient paid already at the dentist office for a one that can last for a while and can be relined and repair where printed can not.
Time has not come yet for a printed denture and all this is hype by the manufacturer to sell product and some labs are falling for it. Milled denture is another subject for a mother day.

S

samthegood

Reaction score
All I can say is that the removable industry especially denture is going cheap with printed denture. (Chinese quality in the US) I am not sure why anyone want to print a cheap denture when a patient paid already at the dentist office for a one that can last for a while and can be relined and repair where printed can not.
Time has not come yet for a printed denture and all this is hype by the manufacturer to sell product and some labs are falling for it. Milled denture is another subject for a mother day.
I was very skeptical myself! Bought the Lucitone system with Asiga printers a couple months back. Inserted my first two sets of dentures this last week and am pleasantly surprised. I need to figure out a method to make a remount jig so any occlusal changes from light curing the teeth in can be addressed, but the material is very very similar to acrylic. Teeth feel hard to grind on. I’ll keep you guys posted. I gave both patients my cell number and neither have required an adjustment so far. Fingers crossed this stuff holds up over time.

S

samthegood

Reaction score
I was very skeptical myself! Bought the Lucitone system with Asiga printers a couple months back. Inserted my first two sets of dentures this last week and am pleasantly surprised. I need to figure out a method to make a remount jig so any occlusal changes from light curing the teeth in can be addressed, but the material is very very similar to acrylic. Teeth feel hard to grind on. I’ll keep you guys posted. I gave both patients my cell number and neither have required an adjustment so far. Fingers crossed this stuff holds up over time.
I printed a few extras for fun and stepped on them and repaired them using Hippa and ProBase and both blended and worked great. The manual says you can use either Hippa or the resin that you use to cure the teeth into place. One denture was a post immediate and I used Coe Comfort and the lining bonded just like regular acrylic too. For relines apparently you can just use indirect Hippa, like a regular cold cured reline, but I haven’t tried it yet.

Only cons I can see so far is the smell. Neither patient has complained yet, but it’s definitely got a different smell than acrylic.
And the gingival margins aren’t as defined as I’d like. Maybe with more practice I can get better at curing the teeth in without getting too much material around the margins.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
I printed a few extras for fun and stepped on them and repaired them using Hippa and ProBase and both blended and worked great. The manual says you can use either Hippa or the resin that you use to cure the teeth into place. One denture was a post immediate and I used Coe Comfort and the lining bonded just like regular acrylic too. For relines apparently you can just use indirect Hippa, like a regular cold cured reline, but I haven’t tried it yet.

Only cons I can see so far is the smell. Neither patient has complained yet, but it’s definitely got a different smell than acrylic.
And the gingival margins aren’t as defined as I’d like. Maybe with more practice I can get better at curing the teeth in without getting too much material around the margins.
It's pretty good stuff as a resin. The drawback is it doesn't bond to acrylic, it sticks.

And because the surface hardness is greater than acrylic, you will always have a dividing line, and trying to polish it will only make it worse..... Which by the way, don't try to contour the denture conventionally, because you'll never get it smooth and shiny again. Use flexible nylon techniques as apposed to carbides. You can pumice all day on that stuff.

S

samthegood

Reaction score
It's pretty good stuff as a resin. The drawback is it doesn't bond to acrylic, it sticks.

And because the surface hardness is greater than acrylic, you will always have a dividing line, and trying to polish it will only make it worse..... Which by the way, don't try to contour the denture conventionally, because you'll never get it smooth and shiny again. Use flexible nylon techniques as apposed to carbides. You can pumice all day on that stuff.
Are we talking about the same material? The Lucitone digital base? It pumices every bit as easy as acrylic. Glass smooth. We use Resilience from Henry Schein.

S

samthegood

Reaction score
Are we talking about the same material? The Lucitone digital base? It pumices every bit as easy as acrylic. Glass smooth. We use Resilience from Henry Schein.
Is there a way to attach pics on here? I literally do the exact same thing I do with conventional acrylic. Trim borders with a fast cut wheel and sculpt around teeth with a carbide burr.

A

Aditia KT

Reaction score
So in other words, we must coat the denture teeth printed with glaze LC to strengthen the wear resistance?

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
Thought I'd piggy back off this thread. Just got an Asiga Max and want to start printing immediates (patients go to final dentures after healing at our clinic so they're temporary) and AOX temps for immediate load. I think I'm going to use TruSana for teeth but what do you guys recommend for a base? I'd love to use Lucitone but I believe you need dentsply the specific curing unit correct?

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Thought I'd piggy back off this thread. Just got an Asiga Max and want to start printing immediates (patients go to final dentures after healing at our clinic so they're temporary) and AOX temps for immediate load. I think I'm going to use TruSana for teeth but what do you guys recommend for a base? I'd love to use Lucitone but I believe you need dentsply the specific curing unit correct?
Great.... Thanks for wanting to share your experience.... Well.... The printer should be validated for lucitone resin.... Curing box??? Well...there's legal and then there's legal.

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
Great.... Thanks for wanting to share your experience.... Well.... The printer should be validated for lucitone resin.... Curing box??? Well...there's legal and then there's legal.
I'm using the verilux curing box from whipmix. I would think a cure is a cure, but dentsply says something about needing their specific curing box for Lucitone (or the eclipse curing unit, god I miss the eclipse nightguard system). Is it just an FDA thing when it comes to the curing? I know there's a bit more leeway for that stuff when you aren't a commercial lab (I work at an in house lab at a clinic).

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
The resin is cleared by the FDA. Then the resin manufacturer validates the resin for use in different printers... So If you wanna be "legal", you have to use the curing method tied to that printer....if their is one.

Last edited:
JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
Use whatever asiga sells. Resins aren't tied to cure boxes. The printer system is passed by the FDA. Then the printer manufacturers validate the resin for their system... If you wanna be "legal"
So basically, since Lucitone is validated with Asiga I can print Lucitone is what you're saying

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
So basically, since Lucitone is validated with Asiga I can print Lucitone is what you're saying
If Lucitone has validated their resin works on Asiga, that's the way I see it.

Last edited: