Anyone see this with biohorizons abutments?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I got another one about a month ago, same thing, hex broke off the abutment.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I know the implant is biohorizon but was the abutment made from a biohorizon authentic milling lab? Just curious is all.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I know the implant is biohorizon but was the abutment made from a biohorizon authentic milling lab? Just curious is all.
Yep, from Vulcan milling. I've always used them, or have bought the UCLA's directly from BioHorizons. I didn't realize that Vulcan milling is in the same building as BioHorizons. I was talking to a BioHorizons rep one day and asked a question, he said he could find out as Vulcan milling was just down the hall from them.

Last edited:
Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
A doctor sent in a hybrid I made for a biohorizons implant back in 2016 last week. They wanted me get a new screw because they thought the screw had broke. When I inspected the abutment, I noticed the hex was missing. I restored this with an Atlantis Custom Base. This case was set up to fail. The implant is not under the center of the crown. It's very lingualized resulting in a cantilever effect to the buccal. Glad I have warranty to get a new abutment from Atlantis and will look forward to getting a new one in 5-8 years when this one breaks.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
A doctor sent in a hybrid I made for a biohorizons implant back in 2016 last week. They wanted me get a new screw because they thought the screw had broke. When I inspected the abutment, I noticed the hex was missing. I restored this with an Atlantis Custom Base. This case was set up to fail. The implant is not under the center of the crown. It's very lingualized resulting in a cantilever effect to the buccal. Glad I have warranty to get a new abutment from Atlantis and will look forward to getting a new one in 5-8 years when this one breaks.

I've had those before, too. Where even if we over-clear the occlusion, the masticating forces are still going to want to rock the abutment lose. My accounts are now starting to do more screw-retained, compared to previously being 100% cementable, and in this case, screw-retained would help to confirm things at least once a year during a hygiene visit. I think they're starting to see the light in that regard.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I've had those before, too. Where even if we over-clear the occlusion, the masticating forces are still going to want to rock the abutment lose. My accounts are now starting to do more screw-retained, compared to previously being 100% cementable, and in this case, screw-retained would help to confirm things at least once a year during a hygiene visit. I think they're starting to see the light in that regard.
My default setting is screw retained. Path of insertion or lack of angled screw channel abutments are the only things that force me to go cement retained.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Until the surgeon accepts that "Top down" implant planning should be the norm this will continue to happen

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Until the surgeon accepts that "Top down" implant planning should be the norm this will continue to happen
Guess who learned how to design surgical guides last thursday and will be printing their first one tomorrow???? This Guy!!

Finally central Indiana is starting to embrace guided surgery. I was ready 8 years ago.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
An hour ago I got a call from a doctor about an Atlantis abutment fracturing. The implant was a Biohorizons. Collar broke off.
Did you contact Atlantis about the issue? This would be their complaint since it's their product not BioHorizons.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
And I don't even think they're using the Biohorizons OEM milling blanks. As far as I know here in the states, Vulcan and Core3d are the only sanctioned BioHorizons milling centers? Either way, Biohorizons seems to be having issues.
Correct, Atlantis does not use blanks with premilled interfaces. They mill on horizontal machines out of rod stock. They mill the top and the interface there at Atlantis.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Oh, I wasn't aware Core3d does OEM BioH abutments. Thanks for the tip! I don't like dealing with Vulcan...
Please call me and I'll be glad to help with any issues you may have had in the past using Vulcan. I'll be glad to help.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
BH has always been crap.
I hate to know that you've had bad experiences with Bio. Please call and I'll be glad to talk to you about your issues and see if we can resolve them moving forward. I'm willing to try to help in any way I can!

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Yep, from Vulcan milling. I've always used them, or have bought the UCLA's directly from BioHorizons. I didn't realize that Vulcan milling is in the same building as BioHorizons. I was talking to a BioHorizons rep one day and asked a question, he said he could find out as Vulcan milling was just down the hall from them.
If you have any issues with our products, please contact us and we will be glad to replace the product for you. All you need to do is contact Vulcan to let them know the issue you have and they will create a complaint case for you and resolve the issue.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Multiple have come back to our lab with this part sheared off, its happened on uclas, temp abutments, final abutments, the only correlation is that weve only seen it with biohorizons, and its not limited to a specific platform.
This appears to have been a UCLA abutment by the image. Contact your BioHorizons rep and they can help facilitate a complaint case for you. They case reimburse you for the cost of the UCLA abutment and you can order a new milled on from Vulcan.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Correct, Atlantis does not use blanks with premilled interfaces. They mill on horizontal machines out of rod stock. They mill the top and the interface there at Atlantis.
So Atlantis abutment interface is all one piece milled? Not made separate and "welded" together as in OP picture?

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
So Atlantis abutment interface is all one piece milled? Not made separate and "welded" together as in OP picture?
Not from what I understand from what I've heard. The mill the entire abutment at once (top cap all the way to the interface). Not like purchasing pre-milled blanks with the interface already manufactured on it. This is unverified information though. Just from what I've heard. Please take that into consideration as well.

Top Bottom