Itero scans?

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I’ve had an office with a Trios scanner for a few years and another office just bought an Itero scanner. I have a 3Shape system and have gotten all my scans up to this point thru 3Shape Communicate.
Can someone tell me in very simple terms (I’m an idiot) what I need to do to accept Itero scans?

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
Call itero and ask for your local rep. He or she will then send you a form to fill out. Once that form is filled out she will then process and give you log in credentials. After that the doctor will add you as it does not work the other way around. So it’s a bit of back and forth before you can receive your scans.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I have a 3Shape system and have gotten all my scans up to this point thru 3Shape Communicate.
Itero has a portal similar to 3shape Communicate. All your iTero scans will come through it. It gets interesting when you start getting scans from Cerec, CS, Media etc. They all have their own portal you need to watch... But as the MIghtyMouse says, call the local iTero rep to get connected.

Back, before Exocad bought Align (or was it the other way around?) It used to be quite expensive to get iTero scans. I got hooked up just around the time of the merger and I only got it free (according to them) because one of my clients bought into the system and they allowed her to 'invites' a lab.

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
Once you have access, you download the file and import it into 3shape.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I'm at the same place as CRob. My rep is getting me signed up today. My question is, does anyone use iTero to mill their models as those come out really nice, or do you send them elsewhere to get them cheaper (for those of us who don't have a printer).

If iTero's models are a bit more expensive, is the cost justified in the time saved in not having to create a model in 3Shape model builder?

The rep did say it takes about 5 days to get the iTero model, so that may be something else to consider if Argen can get a Carbon model printed and shipped sooner?

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I don't have a printer. This will be pretty my start into I/O scans and printed models. In the past I would occasionally get a sirona file and send it out to Argen. So as of now, I can't justify the cost for a good printer, let alone the maintenance and learning curve for one.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I don't have a printer. This will be pretty my start into I/O scans and printed models. In the past I would occasionally get a sirona file and send it out to Argen. So as of now, I can't justify the cost for a good printer, let alone the maintenance and learning curve for one.
I started printing the iTero models when I got my printer. However, I went back to let iTero mill them for me. One of the reason is that iTero selects the margin for you. In other words, you wash your hands when the margin is placed wrong... ;) There was a thing between iTero stls and 3shape model builder, especially with the margin already drawn, that made me decide it is easier to just hit the 'fabricate model' button in the iTero portal. Models are fully charged to the client, with an upmarket. Also, it is one less thing to worry about...
If you download the stl file and then send it to Argen, I dont know how much cheaper it will be at the end.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I started printing the iTero models when I got my printer. However, I went back to let iTero mill them for me. One of the reason is that iTero selects the margin for you. In other words, you wash your hands when the margin is placed wrong... ;) There was a thing between iTero stls and 3shape model builder, especially with the margin already drawn, that made me decide it is easier to just hit the 'fabricate model' button in the iTero portal. Models are fully charged to the client, with an upmarket. Also, it is one less thing to worry about...
If you download the stl file and then send it to Argen, I dont know how much cheaper it will be at the end.

Thanks for the reply my friend, it makes sense to me, too :)

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
The milled models are not realistic looking, more like cartoons. The margin and die are accurate the rest is silly. We have Argen print the models but we don't have the software license to design non 3shape scanned models. It has to be broken into 2 orders to send to Argen to design and to mill. Argen has to design them so they cost extra. We pass on the extra cost to the Drs. If we had the extra license we could design the model and send it all to Argen in one batch.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
A few years ago, I was in this position. We waited until we were getting enough IO scanned cases in to justify the cost of printing the models in house. I handle all of the implant cases in our lab. Importing the scans, and then designing the models is a pretty basic job, but it is also time consuming. Once I get some time, I am going to train someone at our lab to create the models for our implant cases.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
A few years ago, I was in this position. We waited until we were getting enough IO scanned cases in to justify the cost of printing the models in house. I handle all of the implant cases in our lab. Importing the scans, and then designing the models is a pretty basic job, but it is also time consuming. Once I get some time, I am going to train someone at our lab to create the models for our implant cases.

And since I'm flying solo, anything at this time to speed things along by sending it to iTero or Argen would help.

The few IO scan models that I designed in 3Shape were sirona scans that took some time to clean up to build the models. I'm hoping the iTero scans will be easier to work with when I get to the point of getting a printer.

I've read where a lot of members here pass the cost of the models onto the Dr's, I have no problem with that. But since for all these years I've been doing models from impressions, if I only charged 1/2 price for the models as it's saving me time and labor, make sense? Or is that bad business $$ sense?

CRob, I apologize for hijacking your thread.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
And since I'm flying solo, anything at this time to speed things along by sending it to iTero or Argen would help.

The few IO scan models that I designed in 3Shape were sirona scans that took some time to clean up to build the models. I'm hoping the iTero scans will be easier to work with when I get to the point of getting a printer.

I've read where a lot of members here pass the cost of the models onto the Dr's, I have no problem with that. But since for all these years I've been doing models from impressions, if I only charged 1/2 price for the models as it's saving me time and labor, make sense? Or is that bad business $$ sense?

CRob, I apologize for hijacking your thread.
itero scans are much easier to work with than most of the sirona scans i get.

For monolithic posteriors, we offer model free crowns for a discount of $15. This makes sense for us because there is no labor for creating the model, or for finishing the crown and seating the crown on a model. The doctor knows they may have to do a bit more work chairside, but this is how we do the majority of our monolithic posterior IOS cases. Before we had a printer, we would pass along the model fabrication charge from whoever made the models. Now, we don't charge for model fabrication that we do in house. The exception is for printing implant models. The analogs are $35. I include that cost in the price of the implant crown unless they send back the model so I can retrieve the analog to use on future cases.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies and helpful information Brett, I appreciate it :)

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
I can't justify the cost for a good printer, let alone the maintenance and learning curve for one.
Phrozen to the rescue! Get a Phrozen Sonic Mini 4K for $400. Buy their model 4K resin in your preferred color at $30-50 for 1 liter. For models it’s a no brain-er. Keystone has a few resin validated for use on it as well. So nightguards and custom trays are another money maker. It’s a great starter printer and their free slicing software makes everything simple and user friendly.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Phrozen to the rescue! Get a Phrozen Sonic Mini 4K for $400. Buy their model 4K resin in your preferred color at $30-50 for 1 liter. For models it’s a no brain-er. Keystone has a few resin validated for use on it as well. So nightguards and custom trays are another money maker. It’s a great starter printer and their free slicing software makes everything simple and user friendly.

Thank you, that I could handle to get me started, but is the accuracy there for margins and contacts?

I know you've probably posted it before, but who did you get it from? As being completely new to it, printing, I would need some support for questions.

Edit: Maybe for now it would work good for making solid contact models just to get started. It would save me from having to get those done somewhere, somehow or in milling them.

Last edited:
mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
So the accuracy is even better than most 10-20 thousand dollar printers. 35 um to be exact. The cons are it takes more time than DLP. I don’t do models all the time but I would assume it takes just shy of an hour (give or take 10-15 min) depending on the base height.
The other downside is support is kind of DIY. They are based out of Taiwan so it may take a day to get back to you via email. They have a great FAQ and YouTube video tutorials that eliminate most issue.

They sell it on Amazon in addition to all the consumables (resins, vats, trays, etc). You can go direct from the website. I’ve noticed the one on Amazon does not include the new nFEP film (plastic film that the resin sits in when printing). So they may have older versions is my assumption.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
I know of at least one VERY high end lab using Phrozen. They said it took a while to tune in the resin parameters, but they love it. I'd probably buy one if I were looking based on their experiences.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
So the accuracy is even better than most 10-20 thousand dollar printers. 35 um to be exact. The cons are it takes more time than DLP. I don’t do models all the time but I would assume it takes just shy of an hour (give or take 10-15 min) depending on the base height.
The other downside is support is kind of DIY. They are based out of Taiwan so it may take a day to get back to you via email. They have a great FAQ and YouTube video tutorials that eliminate most issue.

They sell it on Amazon in addition to all the consumables (resins, vats, trays, etc). You can go direct from the website. I’ve noticed the one on Amazon does not include the new nFEP film (plastic film that the resin sits in when printing). So they may have older versions is my assumption.

Thank you, good follow-up information, I appreciate it :)