Diagnostic wax up and stents

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
When doing a diagnostic wax up do you guys charge extra for the prep guides, temp stent and articulation. Also what's a fair price for a per unit wax up and stent/guide?
Thanks in advance. I charge $60 per unit and that includes the stent/guide and articulation.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I don't do diagnostic wax ups anymore. Much easier to do a 'digital mock-up', make changes as needed and get Doc to TeamViewer to approve...then print model and make temps/stints. I do charge extra for stints or temps, a putty matrix is included in the digital mock-up'.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
I don't do diagnostic wax ups anymore. Much easier to do a 'digital mock-up', make changes as needed and get Doc to TeamViewer to approve...then print model and make temps/stints. I do charge extra for stints or temps, a putty matrix is included in the digital mock-up'.
I am getting my head wrapped around the necessity of buying a printer. One man lab here so no extra time for much! Although the peeps at DLN are doing an awesome job at keeping me current on stuff.
Also it is very difficult for me to make sense of anteriors on the screen when I am designing, it's much easier to wax.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I am getting my head wrapped around the necessity of buying a printer. One man lab here so no extra time for much! Although the peeps at DLN are doing an awesome job at keeping me current on stuff.
Also it is very difficult for me to make sense of anteriors on the screen when I am designing, it's much easier to wax.
Once you do a few, you'd be like no way am i sitting there for 8hours waxing anymore (that's exactly how long it would take me, I'm old and slow). Plus, the main advantage we found was being to show the Doc the original with the mockup at same time (using the fade in/out feature).

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
You could also mill it out in wax if you prep the teeth first and then hand carve any adjustments you want to make

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Once you do a few, you'd be like no way am i sitting there for 8hours waxing anymore (that's exactly how long it would take me, I'm old and slow). Plus, the main advantage we found was being to show the Doc the original with the mockup at same time (using the fade in/out feature).
I am older and slower:Hello:

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
You could also mill it out in wax if you prep the teeth first and then hand carve any adjustments you want to make
This is what I do when I can, especially with pontics, scanning then milling them in wax.
I am older and slower:Hello:
I'm right there with you on that one :)

If they don't provide a second printed model (as one Dr is doing now) I duplicate the original for reference and for the patient to see in hand the before and after results. I just like a physical cast, wax up...I'm so old school :) I do charge for the duplicate. I also let them do their own stents, they've never asked me to provide one. Maybe I should offer to provide that service, but if the wax up needs to be adjusted, I haven't made a stent that would then need to be remade.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
This is what I do when I can, especially with pontics, scanning then milling them in wax.

I'm right there with you on that one :)

If they don't provide a second printed model (as one Dr is doing now) I duplicate the original for reference and for the patient to see in hand the before and after results. I just like a physical cast, wax up...I'm so old school :) I do charge for the duplicate. I also let them do their own stents, they've never asked me to provide one. Maybe I should offer to provide that service, but if the wax up needs to be adjusted, I haven't made a stent that would then need to be remade.
I ask the Dr. to provide 2 models of the arch to be waxed and they always do. I aways provide a stent and two guides: one for buccal reduction and one for inc. edge.
Waxing veneers for instance doesn't take that long. Full crowns so so, pontics I have to learn to mill wax. I have the wax puck and burs, just have to learn how to switch the mill from Zr to wax milling. I know I know I am a knuckle draggerBanghead

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
You could send to a designer and save more valuable time.
Unfortunately I don't trust anyone. It would probably take me more time to check the designers work than doing it my self.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Waxing veneers for instance doesn't take that long. Full crowns so so, pontics I have to learn to mill wax. I have the wax puck and burs, just have to learn how to switch the mill from Zr to wax milling....
Agree, with veneers I just prep as needed and hand wax. They do go fairly quickly. I do the occasional suck-down surgical guides (last week) so milling the crown wax-ups really makes my life easier in doing it that way :)

Last edited:
Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Digital has it's place and so does analog wax. Sometimes it's faster to do an analog, especially additive only cases.
That said, charge for everything you provide. Increased costs are going to eat us alive.

M

macombdentalceramics

Reaction score
I like this idea , think I’ll start doing that

Top Bottom