Reinstate my CDT??

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
My CDT status has lapsed. I got a letter from NBC saying that will reinstate it for $510 and I need to make up the CE for the last couple of years. I am wondering if it is even worth it. I work and will always work in Indiana. There is no way this state will pass a regulation to make having a CDT mandatory for a dental lab in my lifetime. I also don't need the CDT for employment. My aunt and uncle own my lab and there is no way I would go work for another lab. I still do CE so I can be a resource for my doctors and so I can ensure my lab is staying current with best practices. Are there benefits to being a CDT that I am missing? This is my 20th year as a dental tech. I got my CDT after 5 years working in the lab. I just don't see the justification in paying for a "title" that means nothing to my doctors. I would love to hear some other perspectives. Thanks

A

adl

Reaction score
My CDT status has lapsed. I got a letter from NBC saying that will reinstate it for $510 and I need to make up the CE for the last couple of years. I am wondering if it is even worth it. I work and will always work in Indiana. There is no way this state will pass a regulation to make having a CDT mandatory for a dental lab in my lifetime. I also don't need the CDT for employment. My aunt and uncle own my lab and there is no way I would go work for another lab. I still do CE so I can be a resource for my doctors and so I can ensure my lab is staying current with best practices. Are there benefits to being a CDT that I am missing? This is my 20th year as a dental tech. I got my CDT after 5 years working in the lab. I just don't see the justification in paying for a "title" that means nothing to my doctors. I would love to hear some other perspectives. Thanks
If it means something to you , do it for yourself . Don’t worry about anyone else

doug

doug

Reaction score
I would do it. Part of it is supporting your industry, as well as highlighting your skill compentency. If I weren't a couple of years away from retiring I'd get another one just so I could put the TE after the CDT. I live in Florida, we need a CDT on staff for the lab license.
Remember that passing the exam just show that you have a minimum level of competency. I'd be wary of a doc who didn't feel the need to maintain his state required( there's the rub for you)credentials.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I would do it. Part of it is supporting your industry, as well as highlighting your skill compentency. If I weren't a couple of years away from retiring I'd get another one just so I could put the TE after the CDT. I live in Florida, we need a CDT on staff for the lab license.
Remember that passing the exam just show that you have a minimum level of competency. I'd be wary of a doc who didn't feel the need to maintain his state required( there's the rub for you)credentials.
while i see some validation for reinstating it....i disagree with the "supporting your industry" approach. all youd be doing is supporting the super-awesome-astounding lobbying boards at NADL. and they have been all in our corner over the decades, havent they?

doug

doug

Reaction score
You would be better served by calling or emailing the NADL and asking them why the issues that are important to you haven't been addressed. Bennett Napier is always happy to spend tiime talking about this industry.
Bennett@ NADL.org FDLA.net executive office.org. Put Bennett's name in front of any of those email extensions. He will respond.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
You would be better served by calling or emailing the NADL and asking them why the issues that are important to you haven't been addressed. Bennett Napier is always happy to spend tiime talking about this industry.
Bennett@ NADL.org FDLA.net executive office.org. Put Bennett's name in front of any of those email extensions. He will respond.
maybe just pointing them to DLN would shed some light on the issues of the industry. my time is better spent running the business at the moment, but should i find myself with some spare hours, i would love the chance to deeply dive into the concerns we all have. unfortunately, time is the most precious resource i have and my ability to lend some out for this futile venture is non existent at the current state of things.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Hell Nooooooo.
[expletives deleted]

Last edited:
Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
while i see some validation for reinstating it....i disagree with the "supporting your industry" approach. all youd be doing is supporting the super-awesome-astounding lobbying boards at NADL. and they have been all in our corner over the decades, havent they?
While I would love to support an effective group that was able to push for positive changes in our field, that group does not exist. It's one of the main reasons I don't want to pay to reinstate my CDT. Aren't we classified as "unskilled labor?" That sounds like a good place to start for the NADL in getting that designation changed. I can only assume the ADA wants it that way.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Unskilled labor is a rumor that has gotten legs over the years. It's just out-right wrong. But does it matter? No one here seems to want to change anything.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Unskilled labor is a rumor that has gotten legs over the years. It's just out-right wrong. But does it matter? No one here seems to want to change anything.
What do they do for us other than take our money? If they were so useful you wouldn't see labs closing left and right.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
What do they do for us other than take our money? If they were so useful you wouldn't see labs closing left and right.
They'll give you some cards to hand out with your case.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
right from the NADL article on April 28, 2011
"In September, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, which falls under the Department of Labor, lowered the occupational status of dental technicians from skilled to unskilled labor in compliance with a new education and training classification system."

it is not wrong at all sir.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score

I see a lot of people taking golf outings on my dime in the jdt. After 35 years I threw in
the towel on it. I’m gonna go get my tee time!

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
I have heard there are more CDTs retiring their membership than new members applying.

Last edited:
doug

doug

Reaction score
I reached-out to Bennett this morning for clarification. Here's his article that was published awhile back.

Header: Facts vs. Fiction – DOL Classification of Dental Laboratory Technicians

By NADL Chief Staff Executive Bennett Napier, CAE

This general timeline of activities, covering key moments in the last ten years, is intended to provide clarity on the classification system of occupations used by the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL),including dental laboratory technicians. The DOL has never used a “skilled vs. unskilled” classification system. That unfortunately, has been misinformation circulating for a number of years.

For background, the O*Net system classifies occupations based on the following criteria:

· how much education people need to do the work,
· how much related experience people need to do the work, and
· how much on-the-job training people need to do the work.

- The U.S. DOL adopts a new Standard Occupational Classification (SOC) System. All occupations are classified within five “Job Zones.” The occupation of Dental Laboratory Technician (NAICS Code 51-9081) is placed in Job Zone 2.

May 2011
- NADL partners with ADA and a coalition of allied dental associations and corresponds with DOL proposing changes to the occupation classification for Dental Laboratory Technicians (DLTs).

June 2013
- NADL partners with ADA and a coalition of eleven other organized dental associations to send a formal letter to the DOL requesting that DLTs be classified in a higher Job Zone that more accurately describes the educational and training requirements to be proficient in the profession.

Fall 2013 – Summer 2014
- The U.S. DOL conducts a nationwide occupational survey to survey incumbent employees in the DLT occupation.

February 2014
- NADL works directly with the staff at the U.S. DOL on the survey analysis outcomes relative to levels of post-secondary formal education held by DLTs.

April 2014
- In response to NADL’S February communication, the U.S. DOL’s O*NET OnLine education categories are updated to show an additional category of education indicating that 27 percent of DLTs hold post-secondary education certificates or their equivalent according to the 2010 O*NET survey data.

One of the challenges that the dental laboratory technician profession faces in getting changed from a Job Zone 2 classification is the fact that Zone 3, 4, and 5 occupations require a post-secondary degree or certification and/or training. Further, many of the Job Zone 3 occupations or higher also require a state occupational license in order to work. None of those criteria/requirements exists except in a handful of U.S. states where a CDT or continuing education requirement may be required.

This element of fact with the DOL occupational classification is one of the many reasons NADL has invested a lot of time and money to help individual states seek to incorporate dental laboratory registration and/or a CDT or CE requirement in state dental practice acts. To have a larger number of states achieve this public policy objective would help in moving DLT from Job Zone 2 to at least Job Zone 3. This public policy outcome would also likely lead to survival of existing DLT educational schools, and facilitate the need for more schools to be developed.

Bennett Napier, M.S., CAE

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I reached-out to Bennett this morning for clarification. Here's his article that was published awhile back.

This general timeline of activities, covering key moments in the last ten years, is intended to provide clarity on the classification system of occupations used by the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL),including dental laboratory technicians. The DOL has never used a “skilled vs. unskilled” classification system. That unfortunately, has been misinformation circulating for a number of years.

For background, the O*Net system classifies occupations based on the following criteria:

- The U.S. DOL adopts a new Standard Occupational Classification (SOC) System. All occupations are classified within five “Job Zones.” The occupation of Dental Laboratory Technician (NAICS Code 51-9081) is placed in Job Zone 2.

May 2011
- NADL partners with ADA and a coalition of allied dental associations and corresponds with DOL proposing changes to the occupation classification for Dental Laboratory Technicians (DLTs).

June 2013
- NADL partners with ADA and a coalition of eleven other organized dental associations to send a formal letter to the DOL requesting that DLTs be classified in a higher Job Zone that more accurately describes the educational and training requirements to be proficient in the profession.

Fall 2013 – Summer 2014
- The U.S. DOL conducts a nationwide occupational survey to survey incumbent employees in the DLT occupation.

February 2014
- NADL works directly with the staff at the U.S. DOL on the survey analysis outcomes relative to levels of post-secondary formal education held by DLTs.

April 2014
- In response to NADL’S February communication, the U.S. DOL’s O*NET OnLine education categories are updated to show an additional category of education indicating that 27 percent of DLTs hold post-secondary education certificates or their equivalent according to the 2010 O*NET survey data.

One of the challenges that the dental laboratory technician profession faces in getting changed from a Job Zone 2 classification is the fact that Zone 3, 4, and 5 occupations require a post-secondary degree or certification and/or training. Further, many of the Job Zone 3 occupations or higher also require a state occupational license in order to work. None of those criteria/requirements exists except in a handful of U.S. states where a CDT or continuing education requirement may be required.

This element of fact with the DOL occupational classification is one of the many reasons NADL has invested a lot of time and money to help individual states seek to incorporate dental laboratory registration and/or a CDT or CE requirement in state dental practice acts. To have a larger number of states achieve this public policy objective would help in moving DLT from Job Zone 2 to at least Job Zone 3. This public policy outcome would also likely lead to survival of existing DLT educational schools, and facilitate the need for more schools to be developed.

"NADL has invested a lot of time and money to help individual states seek to incorporate dental laboratory registration and/or a CDT or CE requirement in state dental practice acts"

so they are using a lot of our money...openly....to create MORE regulation to heap upon us. as if the governmental bodies didnt do enough already, we need our own lobby groups adding to it. lol

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score

May 2011

June 2013

Fall 2013 – Summer 2014

February 2014

April 2014

Thanks for posting Doug