Anyone see this with biohorizons abutments?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
thats crazy! i hope BH is warrantying these issues. and not just warrantying but begging forgiveness from the restorative doc and surgeon!
we rarely get BH implants to restore...just not a big presence in my region. and honestly i am okay with that. not one of my favs to deal with all around. especially with more and more digital. but dang, i have yet to have this happen and pray it doesnt ever happen with any platform!
I handle around 100 implant cases a month. I've seen this a few times over my 20 years. I can almost predict them when I see a bone level implant placed at the tissue level. It makes it so the abutment has to go straight out from the implant and creates a weak point just like in the design of those internal hex abutments. Doesn't guarantee a failure, but I always take these cases a bit more out of occlusion and I bring it to the doctor's attention.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I handle around 100 implant cases a month. I've seen this a few times over my 20 years. I can almost predict them when I see a bone level implant placed at the tissue level. It makes it so the abutment has to go straight out from the implant and creates a weak point just like in the design of those internal hex abutments. Doesn't guarantee a failure, but I always take these cases a bit more out of occlusion and I bring it to the doctor's attention.
while i am a smaller operation than yours, we still handle a large quantity of implants every month (30-40/mo) and i have yet to see this sort of failure. maybe its surgeon specific and how they treat those bone level fixtures. have you seen it with other manufacturers as well?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
while i am a smaller operation than yours, we still handle a large quantity of implants every month (30-40/mo) and i have yet to see this sort of failure. maybe its surgeon specific and how they treat those bone level fixtures. have you seen it with other manufacturers as well?
It's almost always a problem with implants not being placed at the proper depth.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
@MoosetheGoose I just got one in yesterday, a BioHorizons 4.5 where the hex broke off from the base.

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
Multiple have come back to our lab with this part sheared off, its happened on uclas, temp abutments, final abutments, the only correlation is that weve only seen it with biohorizons, and its not limited to a specific platform.
We've experienced this issue with Implant Direct abutments. Implant Direct warrantied the first one, but would not honor the warranty on any others. Due to the abutment failures and them not honoring their warranty, we don't use Implant Direct anymore.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
An hour ago I got a call from a doctor about an Atlantis abutment fracturing. The implant was a Biohorizons. Collar broke off.

And I don't even think they're using the Biohorizons OEM milling blanks. As far as I know here in the states, Vulcan and Core3d are the only sanctioned BioHorizons milling centers? Either way, Biohorizons seems to be having issues.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
@MoosetheGoose I just got one in yesterday, a BioHorizons 4.5 where the hex broke off from the base.
Sorry to hear!

If you get the abutment back, check the intaglio surface on the abutment. If you see uneven wear, most probably the screw came loos prior to the breakage.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Oh, I wasn't aware Core3d does OEM BioH abutments. Thanks for the tip! I don't like dealing with Vulcan...

And we both still have our 3Shape support with them, so it's nice to be able to support them in that way, too.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Sorry to hear!

If you get the abutment back, check the intaglio surface on the abutment. If you see uneven wear, most probably the screw came loos prior to the breakage.

I'll do that, as I did get the abutment back. Thanks for your tip :)

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Dess makes BH blanks also!

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Dess makes BH blanks also!

They may sell the blanks....hopefully providing the reference and lot documentation numbers from BH that they are the OEM version from them, BH.
Still was confirmed with a phone call into BH, that as far as milling centers, Vulcan and Core3d are still their sanctioned milling centers.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
hm, i wonder if they switched to a softer titanium as an implantable body, and the screws and tibases are made of harder alloy?

eg tibase grade 4, implantable body gr 23

?

hope bh gets on top of this.

MoosetheGoose

MoosetheGoose

Reaction score
hm, i wonder if they switched to a softer titanium as an implantable body, and the screws and tibases are made of harder alloy?

eg tibase grade 4, implantable body gr 23

?

hope bh gets on top of this.
Thought that too, but I saw them shear off from a titanium grade 4 as well as 5

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
No need to order non engaging I suppose.

Top Bottom