Dental I/O scan workflows

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
If you’re using Exocad..Just have her scan it with the scan bodies and choose “other” or whatever, then send it to you. Use the “My Itero” portal and pick the “open model” option and download them. Set up your project and save it. Copy and paste the upper and lowers into the project file , save it. Hit design and off to races
Exactly what we do

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
We are getting a fair amount of iTero scans in now. We are a 3Shape lab. I provided my Dr's with scan bodies for the places I want to mill their custom abutments. As far as I know, they just scan the arches as normal and send the files to me. They just to let me know the implant and platform size in the prescription notes. I set up an order according to their script and then import the files. For Keystone I use ImagineUSA(Mist) or Atlantis to mill the abutments.
ok awesome. we moved away from 3shape to exocad and have no issues with itero or medit scans (or carestream, planmeca either). i just dont have clinical knowledge when it comes to the itero system. thats on me for not being educated enough i guess.
so as long as i have the specs, it wont really matter when shes scanning. i know shes using the mist (imagineusa) scanbody so i just need size and we are off to the races!

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
ok awesome. we moved away from 3shape to exocad and have no issues with itero or medit scans (or carestream, planmeca either). i just dont have clinical knowledge when it comes to the itero system. thats on me for not being educated enough i guess.
so as long as i have the specs, it wont really matter when shes scanning. i know shes using the mist (imagineusa) scanbody so i just need size and we are off to the races!
Yes. One of my iTero docs was using Core3D scan bodies for the first few cases. I found Core3D to be a nightmare as far as printing implant models and trying to seat their analogs properly. I got them Mist scanbodies and everything has been perfect since then.

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
I wanted to start this thread because to be honest, I googled it and much didn't come up with specifics. So please, add to it, especially if I detailed something wrong or as new pathways change.

Trios (Trios inbox to Exocad). -
So we wanted to accept Trios scans but we have Exocad. Naturally, the Docs could use dropbox or some form of large file transfer program but humans, including Docs are lazy and want to use the transfer file service (trios inbox communicate) that it comes with. So lab needs to purchase the Trios inbox....here is the actual email from Argen (which we used) to help you decide.
Can you please confirm you would like to go with OPTION 1 or OPTION 2? (Please see below).

Once I have your confirmation I will send you the agreement. Thank you and looking forward to hear from you.
Two options for accepting Trios Files for NON-3shape scanner customer labs.

Option1:
Purchase a in 3Shape Communicate Inbox Stand Alone Trios Inbox Stand Alone Dongle = $1,650 ($750/year to renew)

Allows them to accept TRIOS .3OXZ file into a Trios Inbox and convert and export as a .STL file before design.
This can then be imported into your system (example. Exocad System or Sirona System, Dental Wings etc.) as a .STL for designing
Drawbacks: Lab may lose some data in the conversion process from .3OXZ to .STL (color, margin line sharpness etc.)

Option 2:
Purchase a Dental System Stand Alone Dongle (either Crown and Bridge or Premium)
Allows them to accept TRIOS .3OXZ file into a Trios Inbox and then they will design the TRIOS case within the 3shape Dental Designer Design Software.
Drawbacks - TRIOS file cannot be exported as a .STL file prior to design so the lab must design the TRIOS file in this 3shape Design system, can no longer design in your system as with option 1.
Dental Designer Crown and Bridge = $4,000 ($1250/year to renew)
Dental Designer Premium = $6,000 ($1950/year to renew)

On either the Dental System Crown and Bridge or Dental System Premium you can purchase Add on modules to design other indications and or import .STL scanned files.

We decided on Option 1...then about a week later we received a 3Shape dongle. Then we called Argen back up and they teamviewered and installed 'dental designer software' which you will need to incorporate your trios files into Exocad.

Medit scans to exocad or 3shape -
Lab must create an account with Meditlink...simple and free. Partner up with your Doc and then your off. This meditlink has a built-in in Cad/Cam platform into it, makes it simple to open your 3Shape or Exocad, or transfer the files to printer or mill station. That's all free too and on the cloud. I will say, the Medit i-500 does take .stl's. However as many already know that do scans, .stl's are not in color. The Medit i-500 offers the Docs to scan in .obj or .ply along with .stl. The .obj and .ply are in color for Exocad users. Currently I don't believe 3Shape accepts .obj or .ply files, so no color for you. I'm big on color...well duhhh, pretty easy to see where that margin is when you can see the difference between pink and white. For the lab side, everything from the meditlink is free and open...sign up.

3M TruDef -
You will need to set up an account with 3M connection center. It doesn't cost anything. Recently I received a case and noticed this pathway has changed (it's been awhile since I received my previous scan so this may be old news). However, it use to be where the scan had to be sent to a 'margin marking' approved lab, then sent to 3M's model lab for any models. Now today, it looks like once you get the email your Doc sent you a scan, you can right onto the connection platform and download the .stl's or other files and you're off to the races to do whatever you want with the files (i.e. make crown, print models, etc..).

CareStream -
Haven't received any in awhile and scared to comment to what the current pathway is...please share if someone knows specifics.

Cerec Connect -
Make a cerec connect account and then you can receive the files from their platform. I was under the impression that access to their platform was going to be open and free for labs but as of recently I've heard it was going to cost around 4K to access the platform. I haven't dived completely into this yet because I wasn't ever sold on red cam, blue cam, omnicam was better, but the primescan does look very promising but I won't go after clients with primescan if it's going to cost 4K per year to access...that's ridiculous.

Itero -
Haven't done any in quite awhile...back in the day it use to be the lab called Itero and they had three software/hardware options for labs with differing prices. The software allowed you to get the platform that would accept itero scans...from their depending on what option you have, you could mark the margins, have doctor approve margins and order up the Milled models from Itero. I hated these models from Day 1, ceramists nightmare. As of today, I haven't looked into it and/or the prices or the pathway. So I ask all of you to feel free to add the information here.

Planmeca/Emerald -
I believe these two are one in the same but if not, correct me. I have no idea, never have received a file from either.

This goes along with other I/O scanners out there, if you have detailed information on some, or I'm misinformed, feel free to share the correct information. I see this trend of scans increasing drastically over the next decade (at least here in the states). If you do add information...please use the format I did above...helps others sort out the nonsense. (bold print scanner) - detailed lab information below. If you have snied ass comments about certain platforms or scanners...well guess what?...so do i. I really tried to keep it informational though.
Does Medit-link accept Trios scans?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Nope...Scanner portals are proprietary to their scanners only
He ain't lying, however meditlink is free, trios (3Shape communicate) will cost you (around $1,200 give or take some on reseller).

Laura

Laura

Reaction score
He ain't lying, however meditlink is free, trios (3Shape communicate) will cost you (around $1,200 give or take some on reseller).
I have 15 doctors using itero scans and one is requesting to send me a 3shape scan today. I got it in my 3shape communicate inbox of cases, however there is no export because I don't own 3 shape software. Are my only options still to just pay that much for an account that hasn't done that much work in the last 3 months or have them export the stl files and e-mail me the files?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I have 15 doctors using itero scans and one is requesting to send me a 3shape scan today. I got it in my 3shape communicate inbox of cases, however there is no export because I don't own 3 shape software. Are my only options still to just pay that much for an account that hasn't done that much work in the last 3 months or have them export the stl files and e-mail me the files?
asking doctors to do the slightest bit of effort that requires the least amount of computer literacy... is difficult.

Laura

Laura

Reaction score
asking doctors to do the slightest bit of effort that requires the least amount of computer literacy... is difficult.
lol thats the only part i'm dreading it's gonna take me an hour to explain how to e-mail or drop box it and if they have to zip it... lord help us all

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
lol thats the only part i'm dreading it's gonna take me an hour to explain how to e-mail or drop box it and if they have to zip it... lord help us all
To answer your initial question, yes. I used to get the office ladies to zip and send it to me before I had all the portal systems.

D

DSDL

Reaction score
Sorry if this is not the appriopriate thread, but the medit scans that I receive contain much more distortion/digital "flash" than other scanners. I'm not talking about regular surface noise or bumpiness, Im talking about varios portions of the scan that are fully offset by like .4mm, or splattered with weird distorted skirting. It is qualitatively unique and distinctive to medit scans that come through. Not sure how else I might describe it, but I'm wondering if this sounds familiar to others? I'm at a loss on advice, other than to tell the doctors: Make sure area is dry, make sure you go slow and rescan areas as necessary, scrutinize that scan with color OFF so you can see texture only... Is there some kind of scanner setting that doctors can adjust--maybe with the way the scans are stitched/exported/finalized? Thanks

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is not the appriopriate thread, but the medit scans that I receive contain much more distortion/digital "flash" than other scanners. I'm not talking about regular surface noise or bumpiness, Im talking about varios portions of the scan that are fully offset by like .4mm, or splattered with weird distorted skirting. It is qualitatively unique and distinctive to medit scans that come through. Not sure how else I might describe it, but I'm wondering if this sounds familiar to others? I'm at a loss on advice, other than to tell the doctors: Make sure area is dry, make sure you go slow and rescan areas as necessary, scrutinize that scan with color OFF so you can see texture only... Is there some kind of scanner setting that doctors can adjust--maybe with the way the scans are stitched/exported/finalized? Thanks
Take a picture and share it with us. Sounds like the proverbial digital noise all scanners pick up to a certain degree but a picture would confirm.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
You are correct. Medit scans are notorious for distortion and artifacts.
I am constantly fixing holes and sculpting areas that look like a lava lamp gave birth in the patient’s mouth.
You can put a Trios in the hands of a noob dentist and get a far superior scan than a Medit.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
I have a few and I mean few Dr's that are inserting I/O casework, modeless with little or no adjusting. The best scans are dr using laser and actually looking at scans in stone mode on trios. My question, to this knowledgeable group, is how to convey to the assistants whom are scanning the best way to get predictable results. I know that with Trios you can scan the bite and turn of the adjust contacts which means the crown may have high occlusion as it adjusts the bite relationship to reflect the moment the arches come into contact? In addition I have one Dr. that is back on the pfm bandwagon and the digital models just don't seem as accurate as stone? When i check proximal contacts on Nextdent models, they are open ever so slight. If I add to close Dr says tight contact, is this normal? I know i don't cut the contacts off as I do not use removable dies on models. Lastly, I want to buy Exocad splint module. I have read that it's fairly straight forward and easy to design splints or mock surgical stents that show tooth position and angulation, with no regard for bone structure, but the material I heard isn't clear, more purple when cured? Any insight or links to videos greatly appreciated.TIA

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I had a Denstply rep come to the lab yesterday...was informed the case center connect will still work but they are transitioning to a cloud based portal system called DSCore. For labs its free to use and sign-up (do this at DSCore.com),but eventually over the next year or so cerec connect will be no more and DSCore will be how you get any of your sirona cases. It's simple to sign-up, just like any other portal system, but looks like everything will be on the cloud, don't know much more about it....feel free to chime in if you know.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
A few months ago a doctor told me you could use that for different brands of scanners so you only go to one place for all IO cases. Rather than the 5 I have to individually log in to and check. I didn’t look into it for myself though.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
A few months ago a doctor told me you could use that for different brands of scanners so you only go to one place for all IO cases. Rather than the 5 I have to individually log in to and check. I didn’t look into it for myself though.
That would be surprising, especially since all those scanner companies don't play well together at all. Sure would be nice on our end though.