Let’s talk about Asiga

M

Mike Fulton

Reaction score
We got our Asiga Pro 250 in 2017 and it has been a real work horse for us. However, heard the other day they don't have parts for it any more if that is true will be looking else where. I mean 5 years is not that long!

MAFCDL

MAFCDL

Reaction score
Just throwing this bit out there if cost is really a big driver. A Form 3B+, wash, and cure is 6k turnkey... Pretty damn good system for the price, so easy to use, software is great, and man oh man the tank system is superior to anything ive ever used. Good luck!

**I no longer work at Formlabs, again, just food for thought**
Where are you these days?!?!?

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
We got our Asiga Pro 250 in 2017 and it has been a real work horse for us. However, heard the other day they don't have parts for it any more if that is true will be looking else where. I mean 5 years is not that long!
That brings up another issue. In 2013 I bought a refurbished MacBook Pro, still works great today. Apple made it obsolete back 2-3 years ago. Point being I’m still using a 10 year old MacBook that runs great because it is a quality product. Asiga has that reputation but just like Apple they can also make things obsolete and not service it. I’m afraid that may happen with Asiga MAX UV as it’s already 5 years old and I will be using it for another 3-5 years. I’m considering the Sprintray 95s. Both can print major brands of denture base resin, including Lucitone, and they can both use my ProCure cure box. Any thoughts on Sprintray especially the new S series?

Wainwright

Wainwright

Reaction score
I have a form 3B+. No failed prints yet, simple to use. So far only using it to print models with the new model resin. Die fits are very accurate. The only thing the contacts are just a tad to tight. Print estimation times are off about 30 min. I would have got a less expensive one to tinker with like a phrozon but I am just too busy to deal with my own troubleshooting.
Contacts will be a hair tight, if you have your settings and milling locked down and consistent, trust it. There's no perfectly accurate printer, we just learn to work around it and discover its quarks. :)

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Kind of like VD.
There's the good kind a shot gets rid of,
And the bad kind with no cure, but bankruptcies help treat the symptoms.
you have a very twisted view of debt LOL.

Wainwright

Wainwright

Reaction score
That brings up another issue. In 2013 I bought a refurbished MacBook Pro, still works great today. Apple made it obsolete back 2-3 years ago. Point being I’m still using a 10 year old MacBook that runs great because it is a quality product. Asiga has that reputation but just like Apple they can also make things obsolete and not service it. I’m afraid that may happen with Asiga MAX UV as it’s already 5 years old and I will be using it for another 3-5 years. I’m considering the Sprintray 95s. Both can print major brands of denture base resin, including Lucitone, and they can both use my ProCure cure box. Any thoughts on Sprintray especially the new S series?
The 95S, and its biggest weakness, is that its still a 1080p projector. They just bump up the pixel size to 95 microns to get the larger build platform. IDK, seems okay I guess? Not a ton of experience with their systems. Very GP / OrthoP focused company, which is good and bad depending how you look at it.

Affordable 2k (at least) or 4k I feel like is not far out. Once they solve LCD burnout everything will switch that that technology and it will drastically reduce the cost of these printers. Very much feels like we are at an "in-between" moment in 3D printing tech.

M

mmbh

Reaction score
The 95S, and its biggest weakness, is that its still a 1080p projector. They just bump up the pixel size to 95 microns to get the larger build platform. IDK, seems okay I guess? Not a ton of experience with their systems. Very GP / OrthoP focused company, which is good and bad depending how you look at it.

Affordable 2k (at least) or 4k I feel like is not far out. Once they solve LCD burnout everything will switch that that technology and it will drastically reduce the cost of these printers. Very much feels like we are at an "in-between" moment in 3D printing tech.
I agree. Looked at the sprintray pro. Talked to some reps got some samples. Took me 3 months to get those samples and they sucked. For crown and bridge pass, for ortho maybe its fine. I felt the response time and knowledge of the staff was very lacking. I felt like I knew more about them just by ready the brochure.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I agree. Looked at the sprintray pro. Talked to some reps got some samples. Took me 3 months to get those samples and they sucked. For crown and bridge pass, for ortho maybe its fine. I felt the response time and knowledge of the staff was very lacking. I felt like I knew more about them just by ready the brochure.

That may be the reason in Nov/Dec JDT 2020 survey, Sprintray was ranked at the bottom (3%) as far as "most preferred and most reliable 3D printer brands."

M

mmbh

Reaction score
Reasons I decided against an asiga max was because of the build plate size for that price. I wanted a asiga pro 4k but wasn't quite ready to spend that much. Still plan on a pro 4k in the future.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
I have 2 MAX UV and one 4K Pro. MAX printers are problem free and accurate from the day one. I have had a lot of problems with 4K. It is currently coming back from ASIGA. The main problem was that printed dies were too big.... same files printed with MAX were perfect. I made numerous tests etc and eventually had to send the printer out. In ASIGA there are people, who are a bit how to say... stupid? I described the problem with the dies 10+ times. And eventually I got a question that ruled them all... If the coping/crowns do not fit on the dies, does it mean the dies are too big?.... Wow, what a question. I sent them a picture as it is impossible to describe something so simple again. After the picture I got a genius answer. The printer prints the dies a bit larger so maybe this is you problem.... Again, no words. I am using -ini files from the homepage and these are working with MAX printers. Obviously there is someting wrong either with the 4K or the -ini file. And the final conclusion - there is someting wrong with the -ini file and they dialed the parameters in. I am currently waiting for the printer to see, if the problem is really solved. As I used the 4K alot for waxups, I can say that with 25 micron, it seems MAX and 4K both have quite similar outcome. 4K projector is needed for the larger build area to have the pixel size small.

If you are printing many things besides models, then having only one 4K is not good. 4K is meant for mass production of models. It is quite stupid to print small gingivas etc on a large printer that needs to have basically the whole bottle of material inserted in to the resin tray. I print splints, operation guides, try-ins and shell crowns definitelly with MAX and models, waxups and custom trays with 4K. When the operation splint amount rise, then I switch to 4K. For now I did everything with 2 MAX-es and it is definitelly better, than having only one 4K. Custom trays I have done with Phrozen Mighty 4K as it is enough for that. But I would never use it for anything else as ASIGA overall is many times better in everything.

At the end of the day it comes down to the number of units printed. Currently it is enough for me to print with 2 MAX-es + 1 4K but as printing increases every month, I might need another 4K soon.

Last edited:
J

Johann

Reaction score
Goodday
We bought the Asiga 4K six months ago. It's my only experience with 3D printers. It works great. I have restored a ton of IOS implant cases with it and I've had zero issues with inaccuracy of the contacts or the restoration being misaligned. This printer has a large build tray(6-8 arches at a time). If you don't need a printer that big, I've heard very good things about the Asiga Max also which has a smaller build tray and resin reservoir.
Brett
I see you have had your Asiga and done multiple implant cases on it with the correct inter proximal contacts.
Well I am about to give up on my UV Max as I have open contacts on my implant models lately and I cannot seem to solve this for over 6 months now
Would you please be so kind to assist me with your knowledge on this
It is with intra oral scans from dentists with iTero , Sirona and Trios scanners

I am really desperate to get this sorted out

Please whatsapp me on 0027824517555 or email on [email protected]