Let’s talk about Asiga

doug

doug

Reaction score
You need to have an open line of credit with your bank. You don't always have to be using it, but just knowing that you can get the money to buy something you need to make life easier is a big deal. I use my local credit union. I have the branch manager's cell number.

MAFCDL

MAFCDL

Reaction score
You need to have an open line of credit with your bank. You don't always have to be using it, but just knowing that you can get the money to buy something you need to make life easier is a big deal. I use my local credit union. I have the branch manager's cell number.
I agree - Over the last 3 years the rates offered by the capital equipment leasing companies have been hard to ignore too - I have grabbed a few private leases with a $1.00 buy out at the end at rates that were less than 1/8 of a percentage point higher than my bank LOC. They also threw in covering the first 3 payments.

There is a lot of cheap money out there for the taking (not as much as there was last year, but its still there) -- definitely take the time to explore all of the options before you consider a piece of equipment out of reach...

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Have we learned nothing from Debt????
debt GIF

F

Foggy_in_RI

Reaction score
... It’s also more frustrating because Desktop Health just came out with their Einstein ($9,999) printers with a resin that is (according to the “testing”) better than Lucitone.

In the midst of a recall on that "better" resin too aren't they?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Have we learned nothing from Debt????
debt GIF
theres good debt and bad debt. responsible business owners know and understand the value of monetary momentum. use debt wisely, and know the difference.

P

Pictodent-SW18

Reaction score
I know I want an Asiga but if I’m not mistaken the UV version came out in 2017. Should I buy a great leading printer that is 5 years old? Does anybody have any inside scoop on the next version of their base printer?

One thing I hate when making a big purchase is when the new model comes out within a few months. It’s one thing to know cellphones are a annual item or even some TV’s to a point. It’s another when your making an equipment purchase that is in excess of $10,000.

Also any wisdom on how to focus on the bigger picture regardless of the tool or equipment. Thanks in advance.
I had the same thought when I bought our Max UV early 2021. I couldn't believe how expensive it still was and thought that with the pace of technological progress these days, this might be too much money for such an old design. The positive reviews made me buy it though. I have not regretted a single ££. I had a Form 2 before. When you lift up an Asiga, it's like twice the weight to the bigger Formlabs. It's built completely different and appears bulletproof. The reliability is outstanding (99% hollow model prints). I won't be going back. This printer will still print fine models in 2027 and beyond. Yes in some ways it looks dated (I'm not in love the nesting software) other makers might have caught up by then but right now it does exactly what I need, printing models quickly and reliably. It has made it's money back after a year in my case.

About two Max UV vs. 4K: As far as I see it, two Max cost less for slightly more build platform real estate compared to the 4K, plus added redundancy when things go wrong or if you want to print different materials. But I have experienced how reliable they are so the redundancy case seems less important to me now

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
theres good debt and bad debt. responsible business owners know and understand the value of monetary momentum. use debt wisely, and know the difference.
Kind of like VD.
There's the good kind a shot gets rid of,
And the bad kind with no cure, but bankruptcies help treat the symptoms.

MAFCDL

MAFCDL

Reaction score
If you had wealth, you wouldn't need debt.

Kind of like VD.
There's the good kind a shot gets rid of,
And the bad kind with no cure, but bankruptcies help treat the symptoms.
hahaha I like your approach and respect it.

I'd just prefer to have my $25,000 in a managed brokerage account getting an 11%-14% annual return for the small, small price of the leasing company taking 3.5% on a 5 year lease. Then by year 6 I own my 4K outright, my $25,000 is worth just under $50,000 and I got to write off the lease interest paid each year in addition to the tax-cut I took in year one using section 179 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
hahaha I like your approach and respect it.

I'd just prefer to have my $25,000 in a managed brokerage account getting an 11%-14% annual return for the small, small price of the leasing company taking 3.5% on a 5 year lease. Then by year 6 I own my 4K outright, my $25,000 is worth just under $50,000 and I got to write off the lease interest paid each year in addition to the huge tax-cut I took in year one using section 179 🤷‍♂️
And I respect your math.
Positive thinking isn't in my repertoire. I'm a Devil's Advocate.
But don't listen to me anyways....look what I chose for a career.
brian regan what GIF

Wainwright

Wainwright

Reaction score
That’s the issue I have. Capitol is hard to come by on a small lab. Trying the make the best decision given the circumstance of not being able to afford or justify a 4K Pro. Also knowing technology moves so fast today and newer is almost alway better. Try playing a heavy graphic demanding game on a iPhone 9. Asiga has to be coming out with a refresh for a base model but I really can’t wait. It’s also more frustrating because Desktop Health just came out with their Einstein ($9,999) printers with a resin that is (according to the “testing”) better than Lucitone.
Tough one... If I were in that situation I'd try to get a good deal on a Max and not look back or find someone locally to do my prints for a reasonable price. The last time I used a Envisiontec / Desktop Health was about 10 years ago, so no formal opinion I can give there. Myerson denture resin is nice and are on Asiga.

Wainwright

Wainwright

Reaction score
Just throwing this bit out there if cost is really a big driver. A Form 3B+, wash, and cure is 6k turnkey... Pretty damn good system for the price, so easy to use, software is great, and man oh man the tank system is superior to anything ive ever used. Good luck!

**I no longer work at Formlabs, again, just food for thought**

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
If you had wealth, you wouldn't need debt.
That’s not exactly true, it depends how liquid your holdings are, but I agree that debt can be a problem.

Wainwright

Wainwright

Reaction score
If you all keep talking about debt I'm going to start ranting about Bitcoin 😂

M

mmbh

Reaction score
Just throwing this bit out there if cost is really a big driver. A Form 3B+, wash, and cure is 6k turnkey... Pretty damn good system for the price, so easy to use, software is great, and man oh man the tank system is superior to anything ive ever used. Good luck!

**I no longer work at Formlabs, again, just food for thought**
I have a form 3B+. No failed prints yet, simple to use. So far only using it to print models with the new model resin. Die fits are very accurate. The only thing the contacts are just a tad to tight. Print estimation times are off about 30 min. I would have got a less expensive one to tinker with like a phrozon but I am just too busy to deal with my own troubleshooting.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
That’s not exactly true, it depends how liquid your holdings are, but I agree that debt can be a problem.
Bankers didn't build those tall buildings in New York by letting some schmoe beat them. You don't beat the bank....It's their business.

Wealthy can make bad decisions just like the poor, they just have enough money to bail them out or waste on payments.

A debt is a draw on future earnings. I prefer to go to work tomorrow to feed my own pocket, not because I bought something 3 years ago.

Funny thing is when you stop using debt, you start having more money to spend.

Again my 2¢.

Sorry OP,
Buy Asiga

M

Mike Fulton

Reaction score
We have a Asiga Pro 250, someone at WM said that they don't make parts for it any more! It's not that old in my opinion new in 2017. If that is the case I would look else where. That said it has been a real work horse for us.