Dandy

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head here. It really came off so great initially, but over time it has gotten worse, expectations to produce are beginning to get out of hand. Designers who spit out work are praised which screws the designers that take their time to make sure things are done properly. I only see it getting worse unfortunately. But the other side of the coin is working for my local labs making 21 an hour lucky enough if they offer benefits. Sad that I had once considered 60k salary unobtainable, so maybe I am a sellout, but what's my Alternative? Work my fingers to the bone for my local lab and be harrassed in person. I just talked to my old co-worker from one of the labs, he got covid, reported to the higher ups about this and had the govt issued covid test result. Well guess what, that result isn't good enough, he has to get another covid test at CVS to prove he has it. So, deal with micromanaging in my own home in my PJs or be harassed by the local lab owners (to the point of having panic attacks) that have zero respect for the techs they have working there. I'd love it if I could get paid what I deserve and work for a small lab, but right now I'll take this.

But also good on you for posting how it works at dandy
there are small labs that are hiring and that pay well. just sayin.

Cdtflb

Cdtflb

Reaction score
there are small labs that are hiring and that pay well. just sayin.
Where, what state? Please let me know. It's good to have options but there's maybe 6 labs in my state 2 of which I worked and both treated me like trash the other 4 are at least 45minutes away.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Where, what state? Please let me know. It's good to have options but there's maybe 6 labs in my state 2 of which I worked and both treated me like trash the other 4 are at least 45minutes away.
that is a terrible experience. no question about it.

theres a thread about a small lab thats hiring ;)

J

jcbdmd

Reaction score
Well my scanner and laptop finally went back to Dandy. It was a pretty seamless process, none of the horror stories posted on dentaltown and elsewhere. The only hiccup was that I had to keep the scanner a little longer (6 weeks) than I wanted because they were checking if I could get the 3Shape files and copious notes from their laptop and portal for backup. I was in no way charged for this time.

I was able to export all of the files as STL/OBJ, but the were missing any of the extra 3Shape data (which I didn't care about but wanted for completeness). Legally it is all a part of the patients record as far as I know, so they have there ways of keeping what they need I assume.

What I ended up doing for the notes on each case was a Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome export of their portal for each patient, so I could have copies of all of my notes.

I understand they are working on a better method of exporting case notes, but that is not a unique drawback to Dandy... one the common problems with web portals or even some traditional software. I recommended that they look into an XML export solution.

My vote for my colleagues that I was guinea pigging for was to look for those of you guys that provide the loaner scanner service, but go after a higher end dentist than Dandy is trying to catch.

And to any Dandy guys reading this, I hope that Dandy 2.0 offers a REAL high-end option (charge more than the competition if you have to, or *gasp* sub-contract with a high end lab and act only as the portal company/middleware). Not ideal, but have that option.

I think this model is exactly where "we" (but not me) are heading... but I HAVE to have a strong relationship with my technician and be able to speak directly to him on the phone.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
My vote for my colleagues that I was guinea pigging for was to look for those of you guys that provide the loaner scanner service, but go after a higher end dentist than Dandy is trying to catch.
I think this model is exactly where "we" (but not me) are heading... but I HAVE to have a strong relationship with my technician and be able to speak directly to him on the phone.

This is close to my business model since 2014. The only difference is that I keep the scanner with me .
and yes , I think labs have completely dropped the ball on this service but that's not my problem.

1646761975347.png

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
A high-end lab without connection or communication to the dentist, is not a high end lab. When a high end 'associate' lab can communicate with a good Dr, whats to stop the good lab from pursuing the dentist themselves and cut out dandy in the middle. 2.0 will never happen.

K

kenn

Reaction score
And to any Dandy guys reading this, I hope that Dandy 2.0 offers a REAL high-end option (charge more than the competition if you have to, or *gasp* sub-contract with a high end lab and act only as the portal company/middleware). Not ideal, but have that option.
Working on it! You'd be blown away by how many labs sell themselves as "high-end" (and charge like it!),but pump out mediocre work.

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
What are you working on kenn? Dandy 2.0? Lets see some work and DLN can decide what is high end and mediocre, welcome to the proving grounds.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
What are you working on kenn? Dandy 2.0? Lets see some work and DLN can decide what is high end and mediocre, welcome to the proving grounds.
BRB.. gotta get some popcorn for the show Vroam

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Working on it! You'd be blown away by how many labs sell themselves as "high-end" (and charge like it!),but pump out mediocre work.
Dandy 2.0 = you labs are all liars!!! Can't wait for 3.0 ;)

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
that is a terrible experience. no question about it.

theres a thread about a small lab thats hiring ;)
And in a beautiful and affordable area

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
And in a beautiful and affordable area
we love this area! youre not too far away and in a gorgeous area too.
and yes, very affordable....no state income tax too ;)

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I stayed at the one in Vermont.
They served pancakes with maple syrup from Quebec.

Smilemaker1234

Smilemaker1234

Reaction score
So I know from lurking here over the years that it's been tried before, but I just wanted to post up here that I am evaluating the "Lab provided IOS" model first hand.

Company is Dandy (https://www.meetdandy.com/),and in my brief discussion with their Lab director, it looks like they are doing in-house work and are also contracting out to regional labs to do some?

3Shape Trios 3 scanners are given to the practices, they have a custom software I think that uses 3Shapes lab partners, no commitment, minimum monthly lab bill or return the scanner.

Interested if any of the NYC regional labs have anything to share about them.

My office staff has training at the end of the month, will let you know if this ends up being more than just a fraction of my lab bill. No-penalty contract/agreement says I agree to make them my primary lab (and they will be for the things I intend to use it with).

I am ultimately interested in "open ecosystem" IOSes (Medit i700, etc.) but haven't invested yet, and I am hoping this is going to be a try before you buy (especially for my staff).
Does anyone know where dandy’s crowns are being manufactured?
it say US based but that doesn’t mean they don’t sent overseas for everything else.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Just got a call from the Dr who said he was giving dandy a try.. Started off by saying, they experienced pretty much everything I told him to expect.. asking me how to adjust embrasures on zirconia because the work wasnt that good. Never knew who they were talking to. He used them for maybe 2 months. Bebored

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
Just got a call from the Dr who said he was giving dandy a try.. Started off by saying, they experienced pretty much everything I told him to expect.. asking me how to adjust embrasures on zirconia because the work wasnt that good. Never knew who they were talking to. He used them for maybe 2 months. Bebored
We had the same experience with one of our clients. Tried Dandy for about two months, their report back was very similar to your client's report. As the client put it, "ugly crowns, contacts and occlussion always off, and cases delayed". Now they are fully back with us, and our price increase. Beer

Top Bottom