Roland DWX-51D and DWX-52DCi milling issues... or is it millbox?

N

Nazar

Reaction score
Every millbox instalation has a sum3d inside which is using the file called tools.arl. Millbox and sum3d itself takes all info about tool geometry and size from there. Also in the strategy for 2 mm tool, there is a parameter which is called oversize. In roland strategy it is 0.1, which means that when tool is milling it leaves excess of material exatly 0.1. So if your tool is 1.91 this means that 1 mm tool have to mill out 0.15 mm instead of 0.1 which can cause overload on the 1mm tool and make it bend and cause more vibration.

N

Nazar

Reaction score
Every millbox instalation has a sum3d inside which is using the file called tools.arl. Millbox and sum3d itself takes all info about tool geometry and size from there.
Every millbox instalation has a sum3d inside which is using the file called tools.arl. Millbox and sum3d itself takes all info about tool geometry and size from there. Also in the strategy for 2 mm tool, there is a parameter which is called oversize. In roland strategy it is 0.1, which means that when tool is milling it leaves excess of material exatly 0.1. So if your tool is 1.91 this means that 1 mm tool have to mill out 0.15 mm instead of 0.1 which can cause overload on the 1mm tool and make it bend and cause more vibration.

M

MrNeverFixit

Reaction score
Anything to do with the compressed air? See if it is clean there is no dust below the indicator. Have you replaced collet and greased? Since nobody mention about it, im just bringing up could not be related but worth checking...

N

Nazar

Reaction score
You can also try changing milling speed and spindle speed. Try reducing milling speed to 80% and increase spindle speed to 110%. You can do this through vpanel while it is milling.

N

Nazar

Reaction score
We also made some changes in the finishing operations. With the lines standard strategy. Whithout the lines after changes

Attachments

• IMG-78733787773a87036051e28bafbdddce-V.jpg
    IMG-78733787773a87036051e28bafbdddce-V.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG-0f7f54018dbbaf476f8de21d890b2ccd-V.jpg
    IMG-0f7f54018dbbaf476f8de21d890b2ccd-V.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 100
tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
We also made some changes in the finishing operations. With the lines standard strategy. Whithout the lines after changes
What exactly did you change?

N

Nazar

Reaction score
You need to change the finishing template in a strategy
But you need to be familiar how to make this changes. If you are using millbox, you probably might have something like an expert mode which opens sum3d. If not, you have to open sum3d manualy, and change the parameters needed by yourself. Every changes to strategies, milling bur parameters which is made in sum3d has same effect on millbox, cause millbox is just a software shell for sum3d with additional features ( like better connector placement and others) but it behaves as a closed system software , which is not possible to make any changes in if you do not know how. However it is very easy to do, and understand the effects of changes that you are doing

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
I have Millbox but my reseller is making all the changes in sum3d underneath it. I am familiar with changing tool parameters in there but don't know how to change parts on strategy.

N

Nazar

Reaction score
Your strategy is placed in a folder Dental/strategies/MACHINE NAME/14g masterdefault. You have to open it in sum3d like a job. Recommend to do the copy of it to a different folder before making changes!!! After is made it has to have same name is it was.

N

Nazar

Reaction score
Can give you instruction how to chande via e-mail if you want to

N

Nazar

Reaction score
As for the calibration issues. I would recommend checking the calibration pin. It can be a little bent, and cause issues. Ours is deviating from central axis by 0.04 mm after measuring

J

Joe King

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking to see if anybody else has any experience with this or if anybody has any thoughts on what might be causing it, so far our support lines haven't been able to help.

When milling with either the Roland 51 or 52 we are getting really noticeable parting line issues and the milling quality on the margin side of the parting line tends to be extremely rough and sometimes also has margin chipping. The results were even worse on the 52 and support had us send it back to Roland to have the Y axis ball screw replaced. The pictured results are from both mills and after the 52 was fixed. We have tried both 2019 and 2020 strategies in Millbox some provided by Zahn and some coming directly from Roland. So far those haven't made a difference. I have used Roland mills for over 10 years and have seen them mill much better than this and the fact that two different mills are getting the same results indicates to me that it is likely a strategy issue. I should also mention that we have tried different burs including what is recommended by Zahn (our reseller)

We have also done various other trouble shooting things such as calibrations and cleaning and greasing the poles that the milling part slides on (sorry for not knowing the technical terms here)

Anyways, any thoughts on what may be going on would be appreciated.

20210418_100210.jpg
20210420_122733.jpg
20210420_122042.jpg
2021/20right now. Been having exact same issues. Roland tech was out last fall and mill checked out with no problems. They went ahead and changed a Y gear or something because we were under warranty. Couple weeks later problem re-appeared getting worse daily. Problem seems to have coincided with getting a new computer and installing window 10 plus at the time version 17. We are now using version 20 sum 3D and problems have not gone away. Did you ever find a cure?

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
I have had the same issues with all of my machines (3) for over 1.5 years now. There is no solution. For now I bought imes 350i loader and when that is up and running and the quality is good, I will just switch the machines one by one. Nothing else to do. I am sure it is caused by the software, but if roland itself does not know how to fix it, then it is time to find another company, that knows how to make things work.

M

MrNeverFixit

Reaction score
2021/20right now. Been having exact same issues. Roland tech was out last fall and mill checked out with no problems. They went ahead and changed a Y gear or something because we were under warranty. Couple weeks later problem re-appeared getting worse daily. Problem seems to have coincided with getting a new computer and installing window 10 plus at the time version 17. We are now using version 20 sum 3D and problems have not gone away. Did you ever find a cure?
I have this problem like once or twice a month. I took pictures and send it to my reseller argen tech. Also i have attached the picture i took. Have a look and compare it to yours.

This is what they wrote to me.

“Those pictures are indicative of a mechanical issue, and as you report that the calibration is done, collet is changed, and the mill is cleaned, I would suspect the spindle being the culprit. Old or compromised tools may cause some issues but not to this degree.

Additionally, if the line is heavier on one side than the other, it may also be an axial issue - normally on the Y. Something like that, however, would require a service visit from Roland.”

We replaced the spindle so far have not seen one yet.

Did they say anything about the spindle? Tell them to replace it and see. Also have them replace the motor if you have only 1yr warranty but if you have extended warranty then no need to. This is just in case if you ran out of warranty they are expensive. Spindle cost almost 2k$. I don’t know about the motor.

The lab i work for has 3 roland mills two 52D and dci, not even a year and having to replace spindle and spindle motor (spindle motor making a loud noise like a flute when it mills and at the very of mill ending bur 0.3mm). do you guys have this kind of noise issue? I have replaced the spindle working on with the tech to replace the spindle motor and they want video recording of the noise and the one that we had fixed a while ago for comparison).

Hope this help. Good luck and please report back here once you resolve the issue. So that other users can use this as a reference to troubleshoot theirs

Attachments

• 4CF0DB92-A753-456B-BC91-D9380EE06475.jpeg
    4CF0DB92-A753-456B-BC91-D9380EE06475.jpeg
    263.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 0938093E-6A05-4929-8654-F5D6269DC1DB.jpeg
    0938093E-6A05-4929-8654-F5D6269DC1DB.jpeg
    317 KB · Views: 55
  • 162E465F-F810-472A-97E2-05529CDAF271.jpeg
    162E465F-F810-472A-97E2-05529CDAF271.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited: