Anyone see this with biohorizons abutments?

MoosetheGoose

MoosetheGoose

Reaction score
Multiple have come back to our lab with this part sheared off, its happened on uclas, temp abutments, final abutments, the only correlation is that weve only seen it with biohorizons, and its not limited to a specific platform.

Attachments

• IMG_3456.jpg
    IMG_3456.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 103
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Yikes, and just to make sure, these are the actual abutments from Biohorizons themselves, and not another vendor? Is it just one Dr, or is it happening with multiple accounts?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I do a lot of biohorizons, just sent one out today.. Ive never seen that. Its hard to tell from the pic, but theres no anodizing,.. is this a prefab abutment?

MoosetheGoose

MoosetheGoose

Reaction score
Yikes, and just to make sure, these are the actual abutments from Biohorizons themselves, and not another vendor? Is it just one Dr, or is it happening with multiple accounts?
yep, all genuine biohorizons parts. The vendor said they havent heard of that being a common thing, but its weird that it would only happen with biohorizons, if there was something wrong on our end we would see this happening with more than just one company.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
So is it happening with multiple accounts, or just one who's using a hammer and chisel to confirm the fit of the abutment to the platform?

MoosetheGoose

MoosetheGoose

Reaction score
So is it happening with multiple accounts, or just one who's using a hammer and chisel to confirm the fit of the abutment to the platform?
Multiple accounts, the only correlation is that its all biohorizons.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Wow, that's scary. On all those styles of abutments. It's like the hex and the abutment body are two separate pieces that didn't fuse
together? Weird.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Multiple have come back to our lab with this part sheared off, its happened on uclas, temp abutments, final abutments, the only correlation is that weve only seen it with biohorizons, and its not limited to a specific platform.
What you are describing here, precisely has happened to me too. From what I gather, the issue seems to be the screws that get loose undetected, which then leads to an increased load on the hex.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
A bad lot of screws that aren't engaging or staying engaged properly? As it's across multiple Bio platform types and multiple accounts?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
IMO, the designs on these hex internal abutments makes then more susceptible to them breaking like this. I don't restore a ton of internal hex connection implants, but I have seen them break exactly like this. It definitely could be exacerbated by a screw coming loose, but I think it's just an obvious point where an abutment with that connection will break.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Over the years I've had a couple of Zimmer or Biohorizion have screw loosening issues, but not total failure like this.

Last edited:
Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
A bad lot of screws that aren't engaging or staying engaged properly? As it's across multiple Bio platform types and multiple accounts?
Over the span of a couple of years. Not hundreds of cases, but enough to realize that there is a pattern/issue (all BioH implants). On OEM UCLA (when it still was a thing),Vulcan Custom milled abutments (which is BioHs milling center),stock OEM TiBase and I think even a couple Atlantis abutments. No altering of the engaging parts. Also, we had repeated breakages on a couple pts, but different Drs. On some of the intaglios there was wear visible, which would indicate repeated movements over along time span. Which again would indicate a slightly loose screw.

I even lost a client over this issue. When talking to other clients, I get similar feed back of loose BioH screws. And when talking to BioH, they have never heard of an issue... But that was a couple years ago. Maybe their policy has changed. Just to add, I still get BioH implant cases and I resolve them with my best intentions...

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Over the span of a couple of years. Not hundreds of cases, but enough to realize that there is a pattern/issue (all BioH implants). On OEM UCLA (when it still was a thing),Vulcan Custom milled abutments (which is BioHs milling center),stock OEM TiBase and I think even a couple Atlantis abutments. No altering of the engaging parts. Also, we had repeated breakages on a couple pts, but different Drs. On some of the intaglios there was wear visible, which would indicate repeated movements over along time span. Which again would indicate a slightly loose screw.

I even lost a client over this issue. When talking to other clients, I get similar feed back of loose BioH screws. And when talking to BioH, they have never heard of an issue... But that was a couple years ago. Maybe their policy has changed. Just to add, I still get BioH implant cases and I resolve them with my best intentions...

And the ones my two accounts who work out of the same office said they had a couple of screw loosening issues with, place Biohorizons. I'm not sure if it was with BH implants, I didn't ask. They don't place a lot of them, as the oral surgeons here place a majority of them, using Zimmer. This is interesting, thank for posting your experience, Contraluz.

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score

thats crazy! i hope BH is warrantying these issues. and not just warrantying but begging forgiveness from the restorative doc and surgeon!
we rarely get BH implants to restore...just not a big presence in my region. and honestly i am okay with that. not one of my favs to deal with all around. especially with more and more digital. but dang, i have yet to have this happen and pray it doesnt ever happen with any platform!

Top Bottom