Thoughts on overseas outsourcing?

T

Techdent

Reaction score
Who do you send your design work to? I am looking for someone to do basic implant planning and digital waxups
Hey i sent it to the lab in south korea. They are relatively more expensive than china but quality is so far so good. Let me know if you are still looking up.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I could design 45 crowns, finish margins, and just glaze(not stain/glaze not contacts) in 8 hours. Contacts would need work. It is very unsustainable and not quality though.
I batch my work, so I get 10-15 crowns from the milling center at a time. I can do about 10 a day from sintered to finish every step on my own. Most of my time is spent on occlusal adjustments, contacts and staining. 15 units taxes my thoroughness.
How many units could you design in a day that dont need occlusal or contact adjustments?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
How many units could you design in a day that dont need occlusal or contact adjustments?
Honestly 0, the job is custom on every case there has to be some adjusting. Just the patient biting strange after being numb, or jaw propped open would cause adjustments. I could cut the occlusion low blow all the contact points away. Contacts rely on a quick temp made in a matrix. I adjust all my occlusion and contacts.

P

PressTech

Reaction score
I think this is getting to a point were nobody will be a winner, we are cannibalizing our profession at our own expense, schools are closing, there are no technicians unless you train them. the biggest lab in USA already have very low prices, then enter China prices whcih nobody can compete with, $18 PFM, zircoina $25, etc. The asian laboratories (because is not only China),are already here in USA and advertising directly to the doctors, they scan the impressions and the work is back in two weeks, just regular turn around like any other lab, unless they have an issue with costumes. Many doctors dont care about time, only about making more money at the USA dental lab expense which eventually will dissapear because even the NDAL or the FDA are not doing anything about it, FDA tried with the materials but even they are "supposedly" using FDA approve materials, as they can probably make a perfect copy of the IDentceram labels and provide them with the restoration. is any of your doctors requesting proof of FDA approved materials to any of you? as far as I know, nobody does.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
I think this is getting to a point were nobody will be a winner, we are cannibalizing our profession at our own expense, schools are closing, there are no technicians unless you train them. the biggest lab in USA already have very low prices, then enter China prices whcih nobody can compete with, $18 PFM, zircoina $25, etc. The asian laboratories (because is not only China),are already here in USA and advertising directly to the doctors, they scan the impressions and the work is back in two weeks, just regular turn around like any other lab, unless they have an issue with costumes. Many doctors dont care about time, only about making more money at the USA dental lab expense which eventually will dissapear because even the NDAL or the FDA are not doing anything about it, FDA tried with the materials but even they are "supposedly" using FDA approve materials, as they can probably make a perfect copy of the IDentceram labels and provide them with the restoration. is any of your doctors requesting proof of FDA approved materials to any of you? as far as I know, nobody does.
I always said it was easier to print a counterfeit sticker than to find a palladium mine in an Asian jungle and refine ore yourself to pass the savings on to the customer.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Our industry is only a slight symptom of a far greater disease. Luckily this industry is more conducive to specialized handwork and concierge service than the auto industry or other engangered species. Create value not widgets.

GG - J

GG - J

Reaction score
My take on off shore and out sourcing has changed over the years
at first the family lab i worked in was all USA everyday- even would put American flag stickers on plastic boxes that held the work
doctors and assistant's would complain - the stickers make boxes hard to open as opposed to the scotch tape we used to use
this was in the infancy of outsourcing when it was just starting to be known- number of offices also informed us we dont tell patients where crowns are made so no need for your USA stickers
moving forward
had a long time account call me - i got a flyer from a competitor - will you match the price
my response - please send it to me - we had always had a very good repour or so i thought
the flyer was from a lab in the Philippines- $29 PFMs- at the time we were roughly $119 private practice and $99 insurance accounts

well lets just say I didn't handle as well as i could
i let my emotions get the best of me
called him up immediately
told him- thank you for the complete lack of respect and informed him when i go to the store milk is $4 a gallon for me too
to his surprise he asked me what did you say
you heard me doc - kindly do not send me any further work

this did not land well with the owner

after a few months I began to reflect -

at the end of the day he is running a business and was attempting all be it at my expense to lower his cost of doing business

asked myself why do we all get up in the morning and go to work -
the answer is relatively simple
To make $

as pointed out in other threads - enough is enough

I don't want to be the starving artist-

flash forward 15 years
after taking a year away i am back in the industry

if I can provide my accounts with a product that i am not proficient at and make more of a profit outsourcing some of my work
I have no issue - i am in business to make $ and provide for my family to the best of my ability

I truly do enjoy dental technology - the science the art - the feeling of satisfaction when you change a patients life by giving them back confidence they may have lost due to a poor smile
that being said i would much rather be a better business man- working smarter not harder

I'm sure some of you don't share my opinion and that's fine
just my 2 cents

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Discover No Way GIF by ADWEEK

What loser competes to make less money?????

I always call the bluff. Cuz that's what it is. If they wanna leave, help them to the side walk. When they call back in a year, introduce them to the new price list IF you still have a space for them. Unfortunately your system has a purge after 12 months of inactivity.

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
My take on off shore and out sourcing has changed over the years
at first the family lab i worked in was all USA everyday- even would put American flag stickers on plastic boxes that held the work
doctors and assistant's would complain - the stickers make boxes hard to open as opposed to the scotch tape we used to use
this was in the infancy of outsourcing when it was just starting to be known- number of offices also informed us we dont tell patients where crowns are made so no need for your USA stickers
moving forward
had a long time account call me - i got a flyer from a competitor - will you match the price
my response - please send it to me - we had always had a very good repour or so i thought
the flyer was from a lab in the Philippines- $29 PFMs- at the time we were roughly $119 private practice and $99 insurance accounts

well lets just say I didn't handle as well as i could
i let my emotions get the best of me
called him up immediately
told him- thank you for the complete lack of respect and informed him when i go to the store milk is $4 a gallon for me too
to his surprise he asked me what did you say
you heard me doc - kindly do not send me any further work

this did not land well with the owner

after a few months I began to reflect -

at the end of the day he is running a business and was attempting all be it at my expense to lower his cost of doing business

asked myself why do we all get up in the morning and go to work -
the answer is relatively simple
To make $

as pointed out in other threads - enough is enough

I don't want to be the starving artist-

flash forward 15 years
after taking a year away i am back in the industry

if I can provide my accounts with a product that i am not proficient at and make more of a profit outsourcing some of my work
I have no issue - i am in business to make $ and provide for my family to the best of my ability

I truly do enjoy dental technology - the science the art - the feeling of satisfaction when you change a patients life by giving them back confidence they may have lost due to a poor smile
that being said i would much rather be a better business man- working smarter not harder

I'm sure some of you don't share my opinion and that's fine
just my 2 cents
I think the point was where you outsourced too...i.e. offshore to support the commies!!!

doug

doug

Reaction score
I outsource to Argen, Tru Abutment, and several labs that can do something I need done that I can't do in-house. All in the U.S. 510K is too costly for a lab my size.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
Trying to save money is something a reasonable business person does. Asking your lab to drop their prices 80% to compete with an overseas lab is something an asshole does. There is no point to labs outsourcing overseas to save cost, why would a small lab want to compete with Glidewell? Outsourcing to companies in the same country as yourself that offer a high quality service to labs that can't afford the high cost of some equipment is an entirely different matter.

G

GeneS

Reaction score
Hey i sent it to the lab in south korea. They are relatively more expensive than china but quality is so far so good. Let me know if you are still looking up.
I send outsourcing to china. But they do so so. I need better labs. Can I get any info about korean lab?

Chiolo C

Chiolo C

Reaction score
I send outsourcing to china. But they do so so. I need better labs. Can I get any info about korean lab?
Which lab in China? I don't think SK doing better, according the custom data, more than 50% dental restorations made in ShenZhen and ZhuHai China. Of course there are some very good labs.

Last edited: