Wax to Design?

C

Chrischung

Reaction score
I underestimated how difficult it is to design a bridge on 3shape. I thought it would be automatic, but all the teeth come out disoriented from each other.

Is it possible to scan a waxed up bridge, and then use it as the design? Or is there a better way?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Make sure in the control panel in design option you have initial proposal of library checked. You can do a copy wax bridge from a previous design like a temp on prepared model wax up design. But this requires the new scan and the old scans are on the same coordinates. Might take a dummy order or a copy of the new order to align all the needed files to get it to work. You just need to understand the work flow and how everything needs to be in order to work right. Designing a bridge from scratch is very easy.

Aron

Aron

Reaction score
I underestimated how difficult it is to design a bridge on 3shape. I thought it would be automatic, but all the teeth come out disoriented from each other.

Is it possible to scan a waxed up bridge, and then use it as the design? Or is there a better way?
I guess its possible, but make sure your scanner scans the wax. Or use scan spray to cover up the surface of the wax.

Aron

Aron

Reaction score
I guess its possible, but make sure your scanner scans the wax. Or use scan spray to cover up the surface of the wax.
can I delete my messages? xD I guess its not 100 % true what I said

Aron

Aron

Reaction score
It is correct what you said. There is special scan wax, you can use, the doesn't require powder or spray.
ah okay perfect, I was not sure so I didnt want to tell wrong informations.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score

It might be better to say that you realize there is a large learning curve for 3Shape and has mentioned in other threads, it does not do all the work for you. Designing a bridge in 3Shape is just as easy as designing a single and worlds easier than hand waxing a bridge. You just need to practice more with 3Shape. And remember, start with the tools that do a lot and move to the more fine detail tools (ie. Start with parametric, then use morph, then sculpt)

C

Chrischung

Reaction score
I wish there was a decent video showing all this. I found some youTube videos, but they date back a decade ago.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
As Napoleon mentioned, use group transformation tools as much as you can. For a bridge I like to align and position the abutments as close as I can. I turn on the Minimum Thickness slider so I know where I'm at, especially buccally and lingually when positioning the abutment teeth. Then I do Individual transformation in positioning the pontics, and re-adjust the abutment crowns as needed. Then use the morph tools and sculpt tools, again, as Napoleon mentioned.

I personally like to move/drag my unit(s) into place, then use the group transformation or individual for singles, rather than having 3Shape auto connect the crown at the beginning. After I have it positioned and used the arrows to get my buccal to lingual, and contact to contact position, I'll connect the margin and go from there. For me, it works out better that way, Maybe not the fastest, but I don't get as many wonkie proposals from 3Shape doing it that way.

auto connect.JPG

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I don't see many 3 unit bridges anymore.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I still do a fair amount of them. I did about 3 - 4 last month. Maybe a demographic thing? There are quite a few older and retired folks here.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Isn't that the truth.. One tooth dentistry..Single implants replaced them all.

That's a good point. Most if not all of my 3 unit bridges are posterior bridges. Where I do get a lot of bridge saving implant singles is with anteriors.